Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blinker Problem

This is a discussion on Blinker Problem within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Your AC and blinker issues are most likely not related. I think you have 2 separate problems. They don't share ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Your AC and blinker issues are most likely not related. I think you have 2 separate problems. They don't share any power or ground connections

Red
    96 TA WS6 with LS1/Trans

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Your AC and blinker issues are most likely not related. I think you have 2 separate problems. They don't share any power or ground connections
    Hey, which blinker is it? Is it the right or the left blinker? I posted a thread earlier with the same problem. If you are having an intermittent problem with your blinker than more than likely it is an electrical connection that is giving you the issue. If you find that it is not the actual bulb, than pull the whole connector with the bulb in it, both front and back and turn on the blinker; wiggle the wire behind the blinker connector to see if it is a loose wire. Sometimes the solder isn't done correctly and breaks away. Whats probably happening in your situation is that your solder/wire is making contact sometimes and at other times pulls away causing your intermittent issue. Remeber, your whole car vibrates when the engine is running and when you are driving so the wire isn't always going to stay in the same place unless its soldered correctly.

I promise you, it is an electrical issue. If your bulb, which is part of the electrical circuit is ok, then it is more than likely a broken wire or bad connection at the solder joint. If you perform the above test with the problem blinker side with the connector out of the car so you can move the wire while the blinker is on than more than likely you will find the cause. That includes pulling the rear tail light out so you can get to the connector. The majority of time the problem won't be in between the line, but at the end where the connectors are. What I mean by that is the wiring run throughout the car is probably not the issue unless the wiring was pinched between something or one of the connectors wasn't completely snapped together.

Just a note, not really related to this thread but I finished up a LS1 swap on my 96 TA which had the LT1 in it. Most of the wiring is the same but there are a lot of wires run differently in the LS1 vs the LT1. I did my wiring so that I could pass emissions. It took me about 6 months worth of research on both the LT1 and LS1 side using dealer manuals/SI program. When I finished the wiring and got it inspected it passed the first time. I learned a lot about wiring in these cars and I assure you that your issue is more than likely at your connector where the wire is soldered to, if its not the bulb.

Remember, theres always a logical reason why something is not working properly and by the way the AC system won't affect your blinker system. Its a seperate system like the dude in the other post said. If for some reason the blinker stops working when the ac system kicks on than there is a chance it could be the front blinker connector. The kick from the ac compressor might be enough to jolt the wiring in the connector and cause it to intermittently work, what I mean by that is the vibrations from the kick of the ac. But check both the front and back regardless.

Another thing with your AC, check all the grounds that are in the engine bay and around the battery. Check your connector on your ac compressor, and the one on top near your evaporator. Make sure all these connectors are snapped in properly and that there are no loose or broken/worn through wires. It could just be coincedence that your ac stops when your blinker starts having issues, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I had more info. Good Luck
    Last edited by Snakes4; 05-12-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Ya this is usually the common annoying issue of water getting into the bulb housing for the front running lamps. And since the bulbs are dual-filament, it's possible that the running light may work but not the blinker, or vice versa.

But if it started working again, it might be a loose bulb. I have had that issue. I pushed it into the socket and could feel the slack give way, and it worked consistently after that. Might be your issue, dunno about the heat/ac corellation though...
    What he said. Thats what happen with mine

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'll definitely spend a good day tearing apart stuff and hopefully figure this stuff out.

So far what has been happening. When the day heats up it affects it. In the morning everything is fine and later at night all is good, too. But I can be driving with the a/c on around 11am and as soon as I hit the blinker my a/c kicks off and the blinker stops working. Both of them never come back on until 8pm+. Which is why it seems the weather/temperature is affecting this some how. The a/c stays on all day while in the car, but only during the heat of the day, when i hit the blinker for the first time, everything shuts off. which is why it seems like somehow they are linked.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTAWS6 View Post
    I'll definitely spend a good day tearing apart stuff and hopefully figure this stuff out.

So far what has been happening. When the day heats up it affects it. In the morning everything is fine and later at night all is good, too. But I can be driving with the a/c on around 11am and as soon as I hit the blinker my a/c kicks off and the blinker stops working. Both of them never come back on until 8pm+. Which is why it seems the weather/temperature is affecting this some how. The a/c stays on all day while in the car, but only during the heat of the day, when i hit the blinker for the first time, everything shuts off. which is why it seems like somehow they are linked.
    did you ever get the blinker problem fixed? i read your original post about the turn signals not working at all but your hazards would work fine, i had this same problem a couple of months ago...turns out the problem wasn't the bulbs, or the flasher, as i replaced both, it ended up being a fuse located under the steering wheel, real easy to replace...i could post up pics if needed..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information