Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bird won't start

This is a discussion on Bird won't start within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I got a gold-duralast battery with 700 cold cranking Amps (875 cranking Amps) 3 year free replacement for $40 bucks. ...

Black
    1999 Firebird

I got a gold-duralast battery with 700 cold cranking Amps (875 cranking Amps) 3 year free replacement for $40 bucks. The red optima battery was 720 cold cranking Amps (910 cranking Amps) 3 Year free replacement for $150 it might be better but I also have a budget.

black
    2001 Trans Am

i know you've already got this problem solved, but another thing to think about is how sensitive your alarm is set (your owners manual will tell you how to adjust your alarm sensitivity). i had a problem with my car not wantin to start and me and my husband figured it's the alarm draining the power. so i've not been settin it and she' been startin up everytime. we've only been startin her up about once a week. don't drive her right now because of weather, and haven't adjusted the sensitivity cause it's too cold outside to be messin with the car, lol

Gold Member - fadjur
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

if the key doesn't do the trick --

1. remove both battery terminals and turn them over -- look at the metal to see if you have corrosion. cold weather thickens oil and requires much more amps to crank it over. ensure battery is clean too. recharge battery with leads off, if possible. remove battery and charge if not. I think it's a 13mm bolt and 12" extension to remove bottom bolt holding battery down.

2. if the terminals are now bright and shiny -- break the pop-tab off two coke cans. insert one between each terminal and the battery. tighten it down.

I went through an optima battery because my leads didn't make proper contact with the battery -- didn't charge it enough or allow enough amps to get to starter.

you might also burn through a small (red I think) fuse in the panel near your left knee in the door jam. I forget why that happens but mine did in a bad area of Jacksonville one day and luckily I got it fixed before dark was on it.

3. recharge

2002 TA Convertible
    Space Coast FL

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cold_surfer View Post
    if the key doesn't do the trick --

1. remove both battery terminals and turn them over -- look at the metal to see if you have corrosion. cold weather thickens oil and requires much more amps to crank it over. ensure battery is clean too. recharge battery with leads off, if possible. remove battery and charge if not. I think it's a 13mm bolt and 12" extension to remove bottom bolt holding battery down.

2. if the terminals are now bright and shiny -- break the pop-tab off two coke cans. insert one between each terminal and the battery. tighten it down.

I went through an optima battery because my leads didn't make proper contact with the battery -- didn't charge it enough or allow enough amps to get to starter.

you might also burn through a small (red I think) fuse in the panel near your left knee in the door jam. I forget why that happens but mine did in a bad area of Jacksonville one day and luckily I got it fixed before dark was on it.

3. recharge
    good info but i want to correct one thing...the oil doesnt become thicker when cold really...the oil as just as "heavy" in the cold weather as it is sitting on the shelf. I believe 5w30s are rated at -30C to hold the same weight as sitting in 70 degree weather.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    good info but i want to correct one thing...the oil doesnt become thicker when cold really...the oil as just as "heavy" in the cold weather as it is sitting on the shelf. I believe 5w30s are rated at -30C to hold the same weight as sitting in 70 degree weather.
    I'm not questioning your info, but how come oil pressure is so high on a cold start then? I've always wondered about that. Is it because that it gets thinner when hot, but not thicker when cold (down to -30C)?

Jim

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    I'm not questioning your info, but how come oil pressure is so high on a cold start then? I've always wondered about that. Is it because that it gets thinner when hot, but not thicker when cold (down to -30C)?

Jim
    yes. you are correct. as oil "thins out" the psi should drop..but obviously when you go with more throttle ..there is more psi due to increase in flow amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information