Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Firebird

Bird won't start

Ok so I park my car outside and didn't really think about the cold weather that was coming. So anyway I get up today and I was thinking that my car has been sitting for 4 days in this cold weather. So I go out to start it and I turn the key I get the beeping noise letting me know the key is in then I go to turn it power comes on I then go to start and it clicks nothing else happens. I just bought a new battery like a year ago so I know it cant be that or can it? Anyway I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it or any suggestions on how to get her started again would help, also its a 1999 so I don't blame her for not starting. THANKS
    Last edited by TruThug; 01-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TruThug View Post
    Ok so I park my car outside and didn't really think about the cold weather that was coming. So anyway I get up today and I was thinking that my car has been sitting for 4 days in this cold weather. So I go out to start it and I turn the key I get the beeping noise letting me know the key is in then I go to turn it power comes on I then go to start and it clicks nothing else happens. I just bought a new battery like a year ago so I know it cant be that or can it? Anyway I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it or any suggestions on how to get her started again would help, also its a 1999 so I don't blame her for not starting. THANKS
    I would say it's a low voltage problem. It's possible it's a starter but your going to have to check or charge the battery first. You could also have a draw pulling the battery down. Is it a piece of shit zone battery? If so that's where I would start.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Have you tried jump starting it yet?

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

I've had that happen to me too on two other cars with new batteries all i did is jump start it and worked right away but check for anything that may be using energy while turned off in my case its was my stereo and once i fixed it I never had that happen to me again.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah try jump starting. You also might have something drawing the battery down

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

It could be the VATS dude...if the chime comes on and ur getting power and u get that click..the clickisnt comming from ur starter but from the vats system, either ur chip on ur key is dirty or u need a new key or a vats bypass..it happend to me i did the bypass all good now.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

VATS... vehicle anti theft system. Just to clarify what WS6islife is talking about. He could be right. The chip on the key is actually set to a certain ohm or resistance that the computer reads to see if the right resistance is read to tell the computer to start the car. They are set to 15 different settings of these ohm's if I remember correctly. You can look on line to see the various ones. With the right key and resistance chip your car will start. If your key is old, dirty or has some wear you need to get a new key with the right chip that the computer is looking for. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

it wouldnt make a clicking noise if it was a theft problem. best bet take it too a shop and have it looked at.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

The vats system does make a clicking noise to where the computer is atempting to read the key actually is a very suddle noise..

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

and it is not a hard thng to fix and all i doubt its ur starter or baterrey really its happend to alot of us problably and whats the fix the bypass or a new key

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you turn the key and hear consecutive clicking fast it's a dying battery IMO. This has been the case with all of my other vehicles. Just b/c a battery is a year old only does not mean that it cannot go bad or something might have drained it. My 1996 with a 6 month old battery just did this exact thing about 2 months ago after not starting it for like 2 weeks.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

yea 35th is also right, never rule out the easy, simple stuff u should take ur bat to autozone or sears or anywhere to get it tested and start from there i honestly think its the vats only cus it happend to be everything powered on once powered only the security light would stay on meaning its the vats and if u try to start u will hear a suddle click not a continous rattle but just a light click its gonna be ur vats but like 35th said could be a bad battery..

Red
    2001 ws6

i have a red top optima which is only 2 years old, in the winter i store my car and start it once in a while, i went to start it one day, battery was dead. Charged it and it started right up and never had a problem since. Start with the easiest thing which would be to jump it and see what happens

black
    2002 firebird trans am

sounds like the battery, check your connections. Cold weather really drains out the battery when it is sitting for a while.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

I have both things happen at random to me in my '02 TA: dead battery and VATS problems. Haven't attempted to figure out either. I bought the car in April. A week later I went out to start it and the battery was stone dead. I replaced it with a new Delco battery. At least twice since then I've gone to start the car and the battery is either totally dead or very weak. Always after the car has sit for several days. I just throw it on the battery charger, or if I need to go somewhere let it roll down the driveway and pop the clutch

The other thing it does more frequently is not start, acting like an antitheft problem (though it may be a clutch interlock thing). Battery is strong - turn the key, lights and chimes come on bright, go to start it and you get nothing at all. Usually what works is pretending that I've gotten out of the car and walked away: shut the ignition off, remove the key, open the door, close it, and hit the lock button thus arming the VATS. Wait a few seconds, hit the unlock button, open the door (as if I'm getting in) and voila! it starts. This works 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I flail about angrily and goof around with the shifter and the clutch pedal and it starts. That's what makes me think it might be the clutch interlock switch.

Anyway - start with the obvious - try to jump it. If that doesn't do it, move on to more complicated stuff like the VATS system.

Good luck.

Jim

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i doubt it is the vats ...my questions for you is quite simple...do you have aftermarket speakers and head units ? what is your battery's CCA and what brand ? is your alternator stock ?

it is well known (tsb out there somewhere) that a well optioned Trans Am with its radio, heater/ac, and lights on draw damn near the advertised amps of the alternator ..this means simply ..that with those things on the alternator cant keep up charging the battery....add to that aftermarket electrical equipment that pulls more...you drain your battery very quickly ..so if you continue to repeat this cycle ..plus add the cold...it is not that far fetched to see that your battery could be shot or need a quick jump.

it is advised to turn off all accessories before and after you start your car..and to let the car start and charge the battery for 5 minutes with no accessories as often as possible.

Black
    1999 Firebird

Thanks guys, it was the battery I jump started it and it fired up real quick. I took it to auto zone and they said it was my amp causing the problem because I have it ran straight to my battery, no capacitor for it (which i definitely will buy one now that i know), so i brought a new battery, a bigger one, they said my old battery did not meet the engine crank start volts my car requires I don't know anything about that i just said ok but i got a bigger one now and hopefully even though it is snowing today she will still run. Sucks that i have to leave her parked outside.
    Last edited by TruThug; 01-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

If it is the VATS you will see a blinking yellow "Security" light in the dash. Clean off the key, wait 15 or 20 minutes and try again. It's happend to me several times.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TruThug View Post
    Thanks guys, it was the battery I jump started it and it fired up real quick. I took it to auto zone and they said it was my amp causing the problem because I have it ran straight to my battery, no capacitor for it (which i definitely will buy one now that i know), so i brought a new battery, a bigger one, they said my old battery did not meet the engine crank start volts my car requires I don't know anything about that i just said ok but i got a bigger one now and hopefully even though it is snowing today she will still run. Sucks that i have to leave her parked outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by beach cruiser View Post
    If it is the VATS you will see a blinking yellow "Security" light in the dash. Clean off the key, wait 15 or 20 minutes and try again. It's happend to me several times.
    it was the battery

98' trans am

what battery did you get..for your set up..and most ls1 setups optima is really the only way to go..yellow or red

Thread Information