2002 WS6 / 2009 G8 GT

Biggest/easiest engine for 02 bird?

Whats the biggest engine I can put in a 02 WS6 with the least amount of changes and customizations to make it fit.

Was thinking maybe a LS2/L76 complete engine from a junked GTO or G8, with LS1 heads and intake so I can keep most of my engine components...

Basically I just bought a new G8 GT with an extended warranty, so it's almost time to trick out the TA some I may just get another LS1 from Ebay, they seem to be a dime a dozen, but some extra cu. would be nice!! You go from like $800 for an LS1 engine and tranny, to $3,000 for a LS2 on ebay

Thinking low-mid 11's NA would make a nice target goal...

The last engine I built was 15 years ago and it was a 350 in a '76 K20 truck (fit wasn't an issue, could have put 3 big blocks in that engine compartment lol)

Thoughts?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Hell you could put in a ls-7 you just have to worry about the dry sump. A stroked ls-2 or a trunkey ls-3 from gm.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Hell you could put in a ls-7 you just have to worry about the dry sump. A stroked ls-2 or a trunkey ls-3 from gm.
    If you could fit the ls-7, why not try ls-9!

Your wallet will probably dictate your choices,,,so it seems. Plenty of options out there though. Your goal of mid 11's is easy to reach even with a stock cube 346. No need for a stroker to do that.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Your wallet will probably dictate your choices,,,so it seems. Plenty of options out there though. Your goal of mid 11's is easy to reach even with a stock cube 346. No need for a stroker to do that.
    dude hasn't been back on for 11 days he's gone.

dude hasn't been back on for 11 days he's gone.
    Did your first post scare him off

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Did your first post scare him off
    I didn't pop out my weiner or nothin so don't blame me the guy only has 2 posts since 2005

2002 WS6 / 2009 G8 GT

Nah still here... Just hadn't had time to get back, got a mail saying there was updates :P Spent the weekend taking the seats and console out of the car to vacuum/shampoo.

Maybe I already have a LS7 block...Should probably check.

There are tons of LS1's on Ebay for cheap, LS2's are a bit more expensive and harder to find.

I was thinking a Ls2 stroker, cam, headers, some head work, 3.73 gear and a 3200 stall converter. Something along those lines, that way if I ever want to make it faster I can, but keeps the initial price down somewhat. Though it seems the cheapest LS2 I can find is around $4,000 complete, unless I go with a Vortec cast iron version =/

The idea is if I do something like this, I'd store the factory block for "numbers" purposes 40 years down the line, on the other hand there are a crap ton of 2002 WS6's produced...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

any lsx block will fit. a ls9 will have problems clearing our cowls is my understanding..go for a ls3 with a few mods and you will push more then a ls7 easily

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by mark78 View Post
    Nah still here... Just hadn't had time to get back, got a mail saying there was updates :P Spent the weekend taking the seats and console out of the car to vacuum/shampoo.

Maybe I already have a LS6 block...Should probably check.

There are tons of LS1's on Ebay for cheap, LS2's are a bit more expensive and harder to find.

I was thinking a Ls2 stroker, cam, headers, some head work, 3.73 gear and a 3200 stall converter. Something along those lines, that way if I ever want to make it faster I can, but keeps the initial price down somewhat. Though it seems the cheapest LS2 I can find is around $4,000 complete, unless I go with a Vortec cast iron version =/

The idea is if I do something like this, I'd store the factory block for "numbers" purposes 40 years down the line, on the other hand there are a crap ton of 2002 WS6's produced...
    Ls-6 block. Yes 402's make a heap of power, like sm said you can try for the turn key ls-3. You can't go wrong except if you still have the stock 4l60e with that big motor and stall it is going to break it more likely than not.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

when it comes to cars "big" and "easy" generally dont go well together

LQ9 anyone?

98' trans am

Ls-6 block. Yes 402's make a heap of power, like sm said you can try for the turn key ls-3. You can't go wrong except if you still have the stock 4l60e with that big motor and stall it is going to break it more likely than not.
    many factors..but i didn't want to post those..to try to keep the thread as to the point as possible ..but yes you are right

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    when it comes to cars "big" and "easy" generally dont go well together

LQ9 anyone?
    lq9 is not the biggest or easiest...and i assume your referring to the 402-408s....in which case that lq9 needs to be stroked and bored.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

LQ9 isn't that bad. i have an LQ( 408 in my T/A. It's a bitch to get back in because it's heavy as all hell but the only modification I had to do was the alternator bracket. But if you're looking for mid 11's N/A I would go with a 402/408 combination with a good cam and heads. Make sure the compression is above 10 more than likely closer to 11 and you should be good

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

With no engine work, my stock ls1 engine went 12.1 NA.. so mid 11s would be cake on the engine he has now.. just a few mods, save the money, and call it a day... but thats my opinion.. and where are you getting that there were a shitload of 2002 WS6s made? Less than 15,000 were made (and thats counting coupes, convertables, autos, manuals, etc) And by now there prob isn't even half that left on the road..
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

2002 WS6 / 2009 G8 GT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    With no engine work, my stock ls1 engine went 12.1 NA.. so mid 11s would be cake on the engine he has now.. just a few mods, save the money, and call it a day... but thats my opinion.. and where are you getting that there were a shitload of 2002 WS6s made? Less than 15,000 were made (and thats counting coupes, convertables, autos, manuals, etc) And by now there prob isn't even half that left on the road..
    Well, compared to previous years, ~15,000 is a lot... I think there were more WS6's then Trans Am's without the WS6 package in 2002.

Lots of good info here, thanks for everyones replies. The good news is I have plenty of time to figure out what I want to do with the car, I'd like a fast "show" car, that's why I randomly picked 11's... not too low that things get crazy

I really don't know what I want to do with the car or when I'll be able to start, I don't want to sell it, though I wish it didn't have 84,000 miles on it or a replaced rear end, but at least the motor and trans match the VIN. I kept the car in hopes that some day its value goes the other direction, so I don't want to get too carried away and is why I'm thinking about replacing the block/trans with something bigger/beefer, and just sitting on the stock pieces for 40 years. If I'm going to replace the block anyways to protect the stamp, I may as well get a bigger one, and if I'm going to do that I'd like it to be minimal impact in relation to fuel rails, ignition systems, mounts, FIT, ECM, harnesses, etc... /phew
    Last edited by mark78; 07-28-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information