Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best combo of light mods?

This is a discussion on Best combo of light mods? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; [QUOTE=Twigs;1247579]From what I have read with the TB coolant bypass, it provides little to no HP gain(some will argue, but ...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

[QUOTE=Twigs;1247579]From what I have read with the TB coolant bypass, it provides little to no HP gain(some will argue, but they would be lying if they said it had anything more than 1-3 HP) and, while many use it in the cold just fine, I have seen people say that in cold weather, it can negatively affect performance and make your car idle funny. Seeing as your in Canada, I would give it a bit of research before you go and do it. From what I have seen, it main benefit seems to be removing the PITA it is to take the coolant lines off of the TB every time you need to take it out.

i did my TB last night... and i will plus^^^ that... seems as if today its running sluggish... i just said that about 20 minutes ago to some friends... might just be in my head??? i dont know..

im tight on money... this is my route im taking in order....

4000 vig stall
    draglights w/ slicks (not for DD)
    headers ypipe
    ls6 intake
    dyno tune
    H/C and nitrous later on... but i think that is going to give me max profit with minimum expenses.... IMO...
    stall would be my number one....
    98 a4 artic white TA.. already has lid and slp loudmouth.

black trans am

get maf ends or port and polish your stock one as far as tb goes if your porting and polishing stuff already why not? .... the coolent bypass no big gains and does not effect any thing as far as cold weather driving it was 9 when i got off work to day and my t/a worked fine idled the same the cars do not have any thing to do with the warm up cycle in the tb u car useses the watter temp to set idle it goes from 1k to 750 or where ever u car idles at .. nor if u owned a ford it would be a no go

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    BBk is based on the LS6 design but is aluminum so you have to wonder if you would lose power as the engine heats up due to heat soak. Also in reference to the FAST intakes the 78mm intake shows minimal gains over the LS6 and the 90mm intake is overkill unless you are planning on going with heads and cam or at least just a cam setup. So I say go with the LS6, much cheaper than a BBK or FAST and would get him to his goal. Remember he is looking for some light to mild modifications.
    Heat soak is an urban myth. I've done my research, there have been studies on such a thing. If you're looking to make a 500+ horsepower application, heat soak will cost you 1 to 3 horsepower, but on the flip side, you're able to ice down your intake before a run which will increase intake. The only bad thing about a metal intake is that it retains heat for a longer period of time. The difference in heat absorbed and heat radiated between the plastic and the metal is minimal and shouldn't be taken as a premise of choice between the two. Another advantage to a metal intake is that it can be ported and lets not forget the bling value. They look sick. BBK and Fast will cost you as previously stated. There are other alternatives such as Weiand which includes EGR provisions or an alternative would be Professional Products. Look on ebay for both to get the best prices. I will say that out of researching the two, Weiand would be the easiest install/price. Anyway... Just my $.02

Jeff

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaFiend View Post
    Heat soak is an urban myth. I've done my research, there have been studies on such a thing. If you're looking to make a 500+ horsepower application, heat soak will cost you 1 to 3 horsepower, but on the flip side, you're able to ice down your intake before a run which will increase intake. The only bad thing about a metal intake is that it retains heat for a longer period of time. The difference in heat absorbed and heat radiated between the plastic and the metal is minimal and shouldn't be taken as a premise of choice between the two. Another advantage to a metal intake is that it can be ported and lets not forget the bling value. They look sick. BBK and Fast will cost you as previously stated. There are other alternatives such as Weiand which includes EGR provisions or an alternative would be Professional Products. Look on ebay for both to get the best prices. I will say that out of researching the two, Weiand would be the easiest install/price. Anyway... Just my $.02

Jeff
    I am not worried about bling factor, I am all performance well at least 95% performance. I honestly feel you dont need a new intake until you are running heads and cam. And in that case you will benefit more from a 90mm intake than a ported metal 75mm intake. Heat is heat to me. Whether it is absorbed or retained. Plastic is just naturally going to dispense more heat than metal is. do more research and ditch the EGR while you are at it. Its holding you back. It will clean up your engine bay a little also.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

black
    2002 trans am

3.90 gears

White
    1999 Trans am Convertible

Thanks for all the tips. I am thinking about adding a stall converter to the list. It seems to be a must have for extra kick from an A4.

Black
    99 Formula

i ran a dry N2O kit four 5 years with over three hundred passes at the track, loved it but wanted more and switched to wet kit now with 7 passes. best bang for the buck easy to install and you cant mis shift with A4. Still has original long block with 224 cam.

Black
    2001 Transam WS6

Thumbs up

This is just my opinion, but there are other ways to overcome the cost!!
    1st off, dont do the converter just yet. it has a wicked bang for the buck value, but do your other mods 1st. then call the converter co. they will need info from mods to power # s.
    look for a used ls6 intake, they are dirt cheap and you can do the egr conv yourself.
    the same thing for headers, whatever your choice. there are many used parts you will come across
    that someone else has taken the hit on!
    ls6 intake, headers, nitrous, converter/shiftkit and custom tune

forget about the free mods, dont descreen the maf! the coolant bypass. feel your throtle body, its the same temp with the bypass from under hood temps. but can be done for under 10 bucks
    Mike
    2001 Transam WS6
    SLP LT's, Cats, y-pipe, LID, CAI, SFC, Loudmouth 1, UD pulley, 85mm maf, K&N airfilter, Poly bushings, blk ZR1's, yellow calipers, MSD SC plug wires and ngk plugs.

black
    2002 trans am ws6

headers,2800-3000 torq converter,shift kit for the street

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information