Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Trans am Convertible

Best combo of light mods?

Hi All,

I have an 99 A4 Vert Trans Am (see attachment). There is currently a magnaflow exhaust and a K&N cold air intake. I'm looking for a few more mods that will give me a little more edge without effecting longevity of the car. The car is mint and running like a charm, I'd like to keep it that way for years to come. I'm not racing but hey who wouldn't mind a few more ponies!

I've read a lot of the threads with similar questions and I've concluded that the following might be my best bet:

LS6 intake manifold
    Port and polished TB (by a professional)
    TB coolant by-pass

I hoping that with all of the above (including exhaust and cold air) I might see HP of 330 (at the engine) and perhaps torque at 360?

I'm thinking that the K&N and the exhast will enjoy this new set-up. By the way the K&N additional has been awesome.

What I can't do:

Exhaust headers: can't fit on A4 vert (without cutting cross braces and such)
    Supercharger: $$$
    Cam and headers, seems like alot of $$$ and may effect longevity?

What do you think of this approach?

Thanks

stall converter
    shift kit
    slp lid

Red
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Hey

Chip It!!!!

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Slp lid, slp bellows, and a granatelli maf for three reasons 1. price per ponie 2. simplicity to install 3. seat of pants power "throttle response
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

what about a good set of SHORTY headers?

White

Thank-you all for your responses. The The K&N intake has no box and has a sheild over the radiator and smooth bellows so I'm pretty good there, I might look into the MAF, curious what that would do HP wise, the shift kit is something I had not considered, hum?, I would gladly put in headers but I don't think there are any on the market that I can install on a A4 Vert without "cutting" (A4 automatics have less room than other cars too put headers- even shorties). What chip do you recommend and what can you expect from that?

Has anyone opened up the airway like I'm proposing K&N>throttle body>LS6 manifold>magnaflow and do you think the combined effect would allow you to get a little more out of each mod?

Thanks for the advice

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'd look into the MAF...most people around here advise against it.

From what I have read with the TB coolant bypass, it provides little to no HP gain(some will argue, but they would be lying if they said it had anything more than 1-3 HP) and, while many use it in the cold just fine, I have seen people say that in cold weather, it can negatively affect performance and make your car idle funny. Seeing as your in Canada, I would give it a bit of research before you go and do it. From what I have seen, it main benefit seems to be removing the PITA it is to take the coolant lines off of the TB every time you need to take it out.

I can give you the name of someone that did my ported TB for $40 US shipped(not sure how much he would charge for Canada shipping). He is well known on LS1tech.com

LS6 intake is always a good bet, and while I personally am not familiar with any, I'm sure someone has headers that will fit an A4 vert, its not like they are a tiny niche market.

black
    2002 WS6

On the note of shroties they only take the place of the factory manifold, you can/should be able to just replace the the manifolds with no need to cut or adjust anything. you don;t even need to move the cats, they bolt right to em.

i heard the stall converters knock peoples a4 1/4mile times down by .5 seconds
    then i would do the shift kit after just to firm it up
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26836
    read this too

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

no go on the GMAF. I had one and it made my car throw codes.(lean codes). I would go with the LS6 intake, ported TB, stall converter, tranny cooler and a tune. The stall converter will really make a huge difference. If this was all the mods you were to do I would say go with around 2800-3000 converter.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

If your going to take the time and money to put on a different intake why not go with a biggest gaining one. like a FAST or BBK intake. Personally if I was going to switch it out I would go with a FAST.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

And on the shortie header idea, I have a set of edelbrock on my car. They weren't that hard to install and I still kept all the factory emissions inplace without having to adjust and move items around. They did make the car a tuch louder along with a little extra power.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    If your going to take the time and money to put on a different intake why not go with a biggest gaining one. like a FAST or BBK intake. Personally if I was going to switch it out I would go with a FAST.
    BBk is based on the LS6 design but is aluminum so you have to wonder if you would lose power as the engine heats up due to heat soak. Also in reference to the FAST intakes the 78mm intake shows minimal gains over the LS6 and the 90mm intake is overkill unless you are planning on going with heads and cam or at least just a cam setup. So I say go with the LS6, much cheaper than a BBK or FAST and would get him to his goal. Remember he is looking for some light to mild modifications.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    BBk is based on the LS6 design but is aluminum so you have to wonder if you would lose power as the engine heats up due to heat soak. Also in reference to the FAST intakes the 78mm intake shows minimal gains over the LS6 and the 90mm intake is overkill unless you are planning on going with heads and cam or at least just a cam setup. So I say go with the LS6, much cheaper than a BBK or FAST and would get him to his goal. Remember he is looking for some light to mild modifications.
    Second that. It won't be worth the $1000 for the FAST when trying to go light. You guys with LS1 intakes have to do mods to make your smog plumbing fit, right? And won't you just have to do the same with the FAST, BBK, or other aftermarket intake? I've heard it's not worth going to aluminum unless you're going to run boost or a heavy shot(s) of nitrous.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransamNick View Post

What I can't do:

Exhaust headers: can't fit on A4 vert (without cutting cross braces and such)
    Supercharger: $$$
    Cam and headers, seems like alot of $$$ and may effect longevity?

What do you think of this approach?

Thanks
    You can put long tube headers on an A4 vert without issues. That cross brace doesn't do much anyways. I had long tubes on my A4 vert with zero issues.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You can put long tube headers on an A4 vert without issues. That cross brace doesn't do much anyways. I had long tubes on my A4 vert with zero issues.
    Do you know if the same goes for an M6 Vert? What brand where they?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NSSTG8TR98 View Post
    Do you know if the same goes for an M6 Vert? What brand where they?
    Long tubes will fit fine on an M6 vert. I had pacesetters and hookers on my vert.

White

Okay MAF is out, FAST intake is out.

I'm going with LS6 intake w/ EGR

I need to think some more about headers...hum..

As for the throttle body, it seems that using your own and sending it off to get port and polished is the way to go. Anyone know someone?

As for getting it tuned, I'm thinking of getting the Diablo sport II with SLP custom tuning, I just am not sure what gains I might see? Any thoughts?

By the way I did some research on the rear mounted Turbo- that looks really neat, so much power so little messing around, damn just so expensive- oh well...Just light mods.

Sunset Orange
    Two, 2002 WS6 Trans Ams

On my Automatic ws6 I put LT headers, as well as a full exhaust, airlid, new performabuilt street and strip trany W/ shift kit ,a 3000 stall, and speed density tuning, and id have to say the headers, and tuning seemed to give me the most noticable power. it will eat my Six Speed anyday of the week.

Thread Information