Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations

This is a discussion on Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 024mula Does anybody have any thoughts on subframe connectors? UMI Performance. Weld in provide a stiffer installation, ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Does anybody have any thoughts on subframe connectors?

UMI Performance. Weld in provide a stiffer installation, bolt in are significantly easier to install. Two point will do most cars just fine, three point for racing or the ultimate reinforcement. I run the UMI 2 point bolt in SFC's on our car.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I love mine even though they weighed it down. It made the car feel much better but up until just recently I couldnt prove the feel but when I jacked up my car....OOOOH yea, big time change. >>> before sfc's when I jacked up 3 corners; 1 wheel would be slightly off the ground>>>after sfc's I can jack 3 corners and the 4th wheel will be level! didn't even need to use the jack, just put the stand under at the same height as the others and thats all she wrote. VERY impressed!!

Red
    98 Trans Am

probably one of the first things you should do when you start moding. Easy one too. just make sure you do it with a loaded suspention

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

^^^ Thanks for all the good info on SFC's.

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

What's a good way to load the suspention if you don't have a hoist?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Thunda View Post
    What's a good way to load the suspention if you don't have a hoist?

Jackstands under the rear axle and a set of ramps under the front wheels. Just be damn careful!

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

I was thinking the same thing,but like you say, you have to be very careful. I am going to do it. I am getting the UMI-bolt in. Thanks for all your help.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have a 2 post lift, so there were some things I just could not do -- like setting the pinion angle and installing SFC's. I knocked these wheel supports together out of a couple of 4" x 4" scraps from the local lumber yard.

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

That is a good idea, and you have a better sence of safety. Did you glue the bottom 4X4's to the 2 on the top?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have a 2 post lift, so there were some things I just could not do -- like setting the pinion angle and installing SFC's. I knocked these wheel supports together out of a couple of 4" x 4" scraps from the local lumber yard.

Click for full size
    ship those to me when i get ready to install my new clutch, would ya!?

Red
    98 Trans Am

2 sets of wheel ramps or jackstands and a floor jack will do as well from walmart. Like eveyone says, just be careful.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Thunda View Post
    That is a good idea, and you have a better sence of safety. Did you glue the bottom 4X4's to the 2 on the top?

I believe I used 1/4" x 5-1/2" lag bolt and counter sunk the heads about an inch. No glue.

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    ship those to me when i get ready to install my new clutch, would ya!?

Not a problem. Probably cheaper and easier to make a set though.

black
    2000 Firebird ws6

Okay I just bought a 2000 Pontiac Firebird ws6 with 30,000 miles on it. It was very fast from the get go and a bit intimidating. Now after 3 months I am ready for more. Any good ideas on what I can do to start adding more power to this beast? It is all stock and an automatic. I love it and have had several older camaros and 1 1981 trans am, but this thing is so much more. I just want more.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Lid, catback exhaust, sub frame connectors are the basics most start with. Then from their lower control arms, panhard bar, headers, y-pipe and tune. After that most go cam/heads, intake, rear end and so on. Just depends on how extreme you wanna go. Lots of stickies all over the site read up lot to learn from them and faster then waiting on us to respond.

Also since you got a automatic a stall is also a great idea. Really wakes autos up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson904 View Post
    Okay I just bought a 2000 Pontiac Firebird ws6 with 30,000 miles on it. It was very fast from the get go and a bit intimidating. Now after 3 months I am ready for more. Any good ideas on what I can do to start adding more power to this beast? It is all stock and an automatic. I love it and have had several older camaros and 1 1981 trans am, but this thing is so much more. I just want more.
    First thing you need to do is figure out what you want. Street/Strip/Show/DD or combo. How you answer depends on what you get and how much it cost.

These listed below are the most common.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Lid, catback exhaust, sub frame connectors are the basics most start with. Then from their lower control arms, panhard bar, headers, y-pipe and tune. After that most go cam/heads, intake, rear end and so on. Just depends on how extreme you wanna go. Lots of stickies all over the site read up lot to learn from them and faster then waiting on us to respond.

Also since you got a automatic a stall is also a great idea. Really wakes autos up.

These things will open up the HP but not break the bank:

LT Headers, Air Lid, Stall, Tune( by Frost) CAT Back muffler and ORY. These you can do without breaking into the motor. Also a good set of wheels and tires.
    Frost tunes with these bolt ons will really wake your LS up.

Suspension mods - The only one I say that is absolutely a must is SFC's. Even under stock power you can flex the body. Everything else like PHB, LCA's, TA, etc is if you want to run at the track or are planning on do a H/C/I.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Check out my signature list. I've completely changed the personality of my WS6 and only have gone with "bolt on" mods. It handles great and has enough power to have fun with but no temperamental problems with internal mods. I feel the biggest gain was from the Kooks LTH's. They also beefed up the exhaust tone with the Magnaflow Quads. The advice about beefing up the rear end is valid and very important. That's my next project. At that point I feel I won't have a failure worry with my car. Anyway, Good Luck and have a fun time doing it.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Is there a notciable difference in the SLP Loudmouth catback vs. Loudmouth ll? Stock cats and mainfolds.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

LM2 is not as loud or raspy as the LM1 but if you eventually get headers both suck. But then again thats based all on opinion. Some like the LM2 with headers. Either LM system will be louder then most other systems. Check out ls1sound.com for a good comparison of a lot of setups.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Nice thank you. Yeah I haven't been able to get a straight answer on either system. I have been on youtube but still sound through a computer is different then in person.

Red
    98 Trans Am

also one thing some people put out there thats very imortant.
    what do u want to do with it? NA, boosted, or NO2?
    then what do you do with it most of the time.
    the big one is the route you take to get to your ultimate goal. if you want turbo but start out with a bunch of NA orientated mods, youre doing double work after awhile. same goes vise versa. ONe example is doing turbos. if you put long tube headers on, you were better off keeping your stock manifolds AND saving that extra cash (especially if you got kooks) for other expensive needed turbo related items (injectors, the turbo, fuel pump).
    the mod road is long and twisted but when you end up with what you want with the least amount of mistakes it should be glorious lol
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 05-06-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information