Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations

This is a discussion on Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by kccutthroat anybody tried the K&N cold air induction it looks like it would be a better investment ...

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kccutthroat View Post
    anybody tried the K&N cold air induction it looks like it would be a better investment then the SLP, the SLP just seems too stock
    i have it it coast me 380 but it is worth it . +14 hp and helps me a lot on gas. take less place and nothing pass thru

white
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by adamsoldier View Post
    i have it it coast me 380 but it is worth it . +14 hp and helps me a lot on gas. take less place and nothing pass thru
    57-3022-2 Product Specifications
    Product Style: 57 Series FIPK
    Estimated Horsepower Gain: 14.74 HP @ 5300 RPM
    Type: Gen II
    Replacement Filter: RF-1050
    CARB EO Number: D-269-20
    CARB Exempt: Yes
    Weight: 12.4 lb (5.6 kg)
    Product Box Length: 35.5 in (902 mm)
    Product Box Width: 13.25 in (337 mm)
    Product Box Height: 10.5 in (267 mm

blacc
    99 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by adamsoldier View Post
    thanks!! I'm gonna pick it up then b/c that slp is just too stock! did u use stock maf and throttle body with it? cuz i cleaned my throttle body and maf and burnt the tires off the back so now i need those too!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

This thread is epicly failing...

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    This thread is epicly failing...

silver/black strip
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

well it did start in 2006

blacc
    99 Firehawk

how is it failing when its still talking about basic bolt ons?? cold air induction isn't a bolt on? what would u have added? somebody jus wants to feel important and see his name in a thread!

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

What about stall convertors? I know it is not the most basic bolt on but it makes a huge difference for A4 cars. I did mine in the garage. My car already had H/C/I slp long tube headers and LM1 exhaust but the convertor was a huge difference. I bought a RevMax 3500 convertor with kevlar clutch and antiballoon plates for under $400. It's great around town and sick under throttle. I am very worried about hooking it up at the track. The STR is 2.8 so it hits hard and may actually be better on a stock engine, regardless I love it.

Awaiting Activation
    5. Pushrods are fairly easy to change. If you have an M6, Pushrods should be the first thing to change. The stock length is 7.400". The upgraded Chromoly's are only $150 approximately but it will save you from heartbreak when you ding past redline leading to bend or in my case, pushrods snapped in half.
    How do you do this?
    Last edited by freddy_caprice; 06-30-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Also as a side note, if you have a kit like the BGRA kit or the SLP underbody sold air kit, it's not a good idea, on WS6's and aftermarket WS6 hoods to have both. It may seem like a good idea, an opened up hood to force more air and the underbody cold air at the same time, but what really happens is the air turbulence from two opposing air currents actually makes it less efficient.
    i have both the slp underbody cold air scoop and free ram air mod, and i have never heard of air turbulence...MAYBE ill consider taking the slp underbody scoop out, but ive read a few times on here it actually runs a little better with both, as opposed to one or the other...its just a theory, nobody really knows for sure if there is air turbulence, and if there is turbulence, it makes it less efficient...some one on here has tested using both the hood scoop and slp cold air at the same time, and blocking one off at a time... he said with both open, he got .1 quicker track time...
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 07-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kccutthroat View Post
    thanks!! I'm gonna pick it up then b/c that slp is just too stock! did u use stock maf and throttle body with it? cuz i cleaned my throttle body and maf and burnt the tires off the back so now i need those too!!
    Honestly I went with Volant since the K&N is expensive for what it comes wit.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird WS6

Is there any point to me adding a SLP air intake system on my 2002 t/a WS6 or is the factory one just as good?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AFWS6 View Post
    Is there any point to me adding a SLP air intake system on my 2002 t/a WS6 or is the factory one just as good?
    Get a lid and a ported throttle body and youll be all set. Your car comes stock with the better flowing LS6 intake.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Blue/green
    1998 Trans AM

I have a question about a basic bolt on. I have read a lot about the different types of headers, from shorty's to Long tubes. The question I have is does the long tubes drop lower than the original pipes, which cause any clearance issues.

I would love to get long tubes since they are about the same price as shorty's without the y-pipe.

Thanks!!

Black
    2001 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLS1 View Post
    I have a question about a basic bolt on. I have read a lot about the different types of headers, from shorty's to Long tubes. The question I have is does the long tubes drop lower than the original pipes, which cause any clearance issues.

I would love to get long tubes since they are about the same price as shorty's without the y-pipe.

Thanks!!
    Depends on the brand. SLP is known to hang very low. My cheap ebay ones fit very nice.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I do believe this list needs to be "updated" a bit. Depending on your skill llevel and willingness to take things apart, simple/basic bolt ons can range from just a lid to a Torque converter. I would consider a basic bolt on that keeps your car down only for the day that you start if its down at all. you should be able to complete specific mods in one day, depending on the amount of mods and when your doing them that affect other mods. Some mods create the need for other mods, IE lowering springs. THis one probalby create the most irony of simple mods gone crazy lol YOu start out with simple 1.2" drop and wind up getting other stuff to realign geometry. (if you care for those such things as I) An order of mods should be done to help aleviate done time. I listed mine not to just brag but to also rate them at their difficulty and to show the amount of "bolt-on" are avilible to newer F-body owners. I did ALL these mods by myself. Some of these i had the luxuray of doing on a lift, others... not so much. the headers for example i did on the ground. that sux. It did take a few year to complete ALL mods.

Rating is 1-10.
    1 being Easy. Your 2 year old son could do it, even if hes not born yet.

10 being Hard. If you have a hard time changing your oil... you might want to just hand over the keys to a mechanic. Doable but intensive.

INTAKE MODS these mods are easy just make sure they are tight (spec tight) and sealed correctly. Some of these mods interact with each other, so if you get one, you might need the others.
    LS6 Intake manifold -5
    LS6 Valley cover w/vent -5
    Ls6 steam tubes and blocks - 5
    New style KS harness -5
    LS Knock sensors -5
    vision motorworks 80mm throttle body - 3
    SLP lid and smoothe Bellows - 1..... ok like a -2 this ones really easy.
    3pin to 5pin MAF harness - 1
    GM LS 85mm MAF - 1

EXHAUST these mod can be intensive but relativly easy. So as long as you get bolt ons you can do these in your driveway.
    OBX LT headers - 8 this one can kick your ass if your not prepared. research please.
    LLP Ypipe with HF cats - 5 as long as you got bolt ons. welding increases difficulty lol
    EGR/AIR block off -2

ELECTRONICS This are pretty easy, plug and play. No splicing makes it easy. If you know how to plug your phone into a charger, your good.
    Tuned PCM from frost - if you have him do it lol 1.. I dont know how to tune so...
    Spare PCM for tuning - 2 only casue its an odd shape to pull
    145 amp truck ALT mod - 4
    MSD plug wires - 3
    NGK tr6ix - 3 with headers, 7 without. do the math, do this when you get headers

CHASSIS AND SUSPENTION Some are easy, others are an all day affair. Take your time. A safe ride is better then a broke one.
    UMI RR K-member - 9 alot going on with this one. take your time.
    UMI 2pt Subframe connector - 5
    UMI tunnel brace with loop - 5
    UMI Trans Relo Mount - 6
    UMI Upper A arms Poly - 4
    UMI Lower A arms poly/roto -7
    UMI Adj PH rod -2
    UMI Panhard relocation bar -2
    UMI Adj Torque Arm -5
    UMI Torque arm bolts - 2
    F/P LCA Relocation braket -3
    Jegsters Panhard relocation bracket
    upperball joints - 2
    Prothane Poly motor mount bushings 4 with headers and UMI Kmember, 7 without
    BMR hollow sway bars 35/22 -3
    Vogtland 1.2" lowering springs -4
    Koni sa shocks f/R (used) -4

BRAKES if you own your car, you better know how to change your brakes. enough said.
    ls1 to C5 brake bracket - 3
    C5 D/S Front Rotors - 2
    Hawks HPS Pads f&r - 2
    Russel steel brake lines -4
    New wheel hubs - 4

TRANS the trans is where it gets interesting. pay attention and remember, its only a trans im an auto so this is what i got. M6s can kinda follow along
    Revmax 3200 Stage 5 TC- 10 this ones rough. 8 bolts hold the bellhousing on the 4L60E.
    B&M Trans cooler kit - 3 picking the location is the hardest thing.
    Shiftglo trans temp gauge - 3 wiring skills come into play here. Sensor threads right in.
    speedinc Vent gauge adaptor - 1
    SFI Flexplate - 6 gotta get the trans out of the way first lol
    ARP flexplate bolt - 3
    ARP torque convert bolts - 4 never thought 3 bolts would kick your butt huh?

Drivetrane I have yet to up grade on this care but ive taking out a few driveshafts and rearends to know enough.
    Drive shafts - 3 if its stuck a light tap with a woodblock and hammer with get it loose.
    new u-joints - 3
    Entire rearend swaps - 5 this is with direct bolt ins, not 9INs or other none direct bolt ins
    Ring and Pinion -8 technical. not somthing you can just throw in and say good.
    Axles - 4
    rearend covers - 3
    just remember to use posi additive or your rearend will tell you about it. litterally.

pretty much 1-6 are gonna be "basic" bolt ins for the average wannabe mechnick.
    7-10s are for those that have been around their cars for a minute. this is by no means an order, but its a good start to know what to look for. this is pretty average for bolt ins.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 05-02-2011 at 03:52 AM.

White
    99 trans am

I got the 400hp package with bbk ssi intake, Delphi maf, sfcs and no cats. What do you think about that and what do you think I should do next? I was thinking 373s.

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

can my transmission be beefed up enough to walk all over some m6's i know i need a converter and possibly a shift kit but will the stock tranny hold up to the punishment, i just fried the clutchs in it , it now slips in 3rd and drive. so im gonna be doing a rebuild thanks.

red with black strips
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
    Not true I have an ls6 block and intake... stock in my 2002 many 2000 - 2002 came with ls6 intakes and some blocks... so look up part numbers before you go out and buy one for you 00 - 02
    My 2000 ws6 has ls1 intake with egr

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Does anybody have any thoughts on subframe connectors?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information