Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations

This is a discussion on Basic Bolt On's list and some explanations within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by clg82 where is a good place to get a ported throttle body and what exactly does it ...

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    where is a good place to get a ported throttle body and what exactly does it do in regards to horsepower gains and performance? and finally are they hard to install?
    you can port it yourself or send it out - prices range from $60 -100+ You will get 5-7ish hp. Piece of cake to install. 5 minutes.

Midnight Metallic Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You can Google port/polish info. The reason the port/polish would be necessary is, in front of the throttle blade (air filter side) there is alot of "meat" that can be removed to raise the CFM flow rating. Also there is a lip where the throttle blade almost touches the interior of the throttle body that should be removed. Be careful not to mess with the idle air port (bottom right opening) or you will have an erratic idle. If you look in the Pontiac High Performance mag archive, about 4-5 months ago they have an article: 10 free horsepower mods for free that explains everything. Hope this helps!

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

There is so much controversy over the MAF. If it really helped that much, then it would be a no brainer to replace it. Anybody who guts the screen out of one, pretty much deserves to have their motor blown in the end. I dont know about you, but I dont enjoy bent valves. Is a couple of HP really worth it?? You'll spend 100-300 bucks to gain 5-10 hp max. Instead of blowing your money on that, go get yourself a 50 shot of nitrous which is actually a lot safer than descreening your MAF. "Well its a free HP increase to descreen my MAF"....Common sense people, the screen is there to protect your motor. I understand if you are just gonna drag it on the strip, then whatever...but a daily driver? cmon now. Everything was put together, therefore everything will break in time. That includes your airbox, and that also include those very expensive heads and pistons on your ls1.
    FWD LMAO!

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Not to beat a dead horse, but I finally gave in and bought a K&N. Well apparently the people who owned the car before me took out some sort of tray(?) and the filter wasnt sealing into the stock lid. Im very glad the screen was on my MAF, because it was full of leaves and shit. Just goes to show, you never know.

Volant air filter is sick

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Great list... I know I'm looking forward to starting on the new LS! and I'm happy to see that "Brass Headlight Gear" isn't a necessary mod on the LS1's

black
    99 z28

i agree this is great i just bought my stock camaro that has ben tuned gona take it to the track this weekend to do a baseline for my quater mile time

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

now i hear all this talk of lids. i have suncoast creations ram air setup. who ever put it in definately screwed it up. it slides all over the place. i saw volant has a nice setup. think it will fit?????

White
    2000 Trans Am

chips

anyone have any experience with racing chips good or bad? How about the gorillaz?

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcarrales View Post
    anyone have any experience with racing chips good or bad? How about the gorillaz?
    there aren't really chips for these cars. You can get a hand held tuner or a full dyno tune from a performance shop.

A hand held such as the predator is good for a car with light mods, but if you keep modding you will grow out of it. Most people say to wait until you have a good amount of mods (such as full bolt-ons) then get a full dyno tune from a shop. A dyno tune will get you the most power!

White
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks,

After further research, I came up with same conclusion on the chips. My neighbor has a tuner, so I guess I will use his until I do all the MODS I can afford and then get the dyno tune.

White
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    1. Best bang for the buck mod by far is a lid. When it comes to the different manufactureres, just remember, a lid is a lid. If you're looking for something cheap and affordable, check out the SLP lids. Great fit overall. I personally run the whisper lid but the fit isn't as good as the SLP.

2. Don't fall for the trick, stay with the stock MAF. DOn't spend the money for a bigger MAF or a Cold air tuned MAF. It will only give you more problems than gains. Detonation is a big issue! The most you should do with the MAF is porting and descreening the MAF which is a free MOD.

3. If you're running a 98-99 LS1, look into an LS6 or FAST manifold. Very good MOD and it makes a difference.

4. Freeing up your exhaust IE headers and cat back not only gives you more bark, but it will help you with the bite later after a cam install.

5. Pushrods are fairly easy to change. If you have an M6, Pushrods should be the first thing to change. The stock length is 7.400". The upgraded Chromoly's are only $150 approximately but it will save you from heartbreak when you ding past redline leading to bend or in my case, pushrods snapped in half.

6. Quarterpanel flex, leaky t-tops, twisted frames, it's all too common in our cars. Invest in a good set of Sub Frame connectors. Have them professionally installed, bolted, or welded on a loaded lift, not a frame off. On a frame off, once the car is lowered onto the tires and the suspension is preloaded, the welds will break and the bolts as well. For those who have questions on the loaded lifts, it's just a lift you drive up on and the whole car is lifted. Most shops have a roll on lift or a pit.

7. Rearend is a weakpoint when it comes to high horsepower. You can run a rebuilt stocker and be fine. The axles are usually what goes first.

8. Nothing beats a custom tune from a performance shop. Check out some local shops to see if they do any custom tuning. A programmer can cause some issues like pulling the wrong timing, wrong A/F Ratios, etc.

There are more mods than can possibly be listed, but this is a basic list. Pick and choose the route you take and do your research. On this site, you'll find a lot of informative sponsors. When shopping for a cam, look into Thunder Racing, they have some great custom Cams with full explanations and a few with Dyno Graphs. This site is full of info as well, do your research and surf through some posts.

Ok guys, if you want to add any more info into this list, feel free to add!
    9. A throttle body works well too 85mm or so would be a good mod 150-200
    dollars but makes a difference good torque gain as well.

White
    '02 Formula A4

Does anyone have a link to a list of all or most free mods? I mean, hey are kinda scattered all over the forum and I was just wondering if they have a list somewhere.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a list of all or most free mods? I mean, hey are kinda scattered all over the forum and I was just wondering if they have a list somewhere.
    Here you go, this is the article:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...modifications/

pewter
    '00 ls1

major noob here. both to the forum as well as cars. bought an '00 trans am automatic with what seems to be an after market ram air system. just wondering what i could do to start giving this thing the power it deserves. ~thanks

White
    2000 Trans Am

Did all the free mods above as well as ported throttle body, bigger MAF, headers & cutout.

Need new tires. Best run has been 13.01 in the 1/4

RED
    1998 Trans Am, A4

Question MAF screens, to screen or not to screen

If most say it isn't good to remove the screen in the MAF, then why don't the after market ones have them?

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...oducts_id=1287

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by sjones69 View Post
    If most say it isn't good to remove the screen in the MAF, then why don't the after market ones have them?

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...oducts_id=1287
    lol because aftermarket doesn't care about reliability. same as many aftermarket filters aren't good, especially in dusty areas.

not saying i know if its bad or not but using aftermarket as a source isn't proving anything. now does a lexus with that reliable toyota engine have a screen in its maf? that would be something to look up as proof.

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The factory LS6 Maf does not have a screen either.

I found this for the Lexus - I do not see a screen
    http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno...v2&id=152&c=11
    Last edited by DarthD; 04-17-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information