Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bad tranny mount???

This is a discussion on Bad tranny mount??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman Umm...I'm sorry but thats pretty dumb. Do yourself a favor and get the Energy Suspension polyurethane ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Umm...I'm sorry but thats pretty dumb.

Do yourself a favor and get the Energy Suspension polyurethane mount. Its only $5 more, and it saves you the hassle of having the replace the rubber one every time it breaks. Not to mention that the transmission mount breaking under a load can cause some severe damage to both the transmission and the driveshaft/pinion. If it breaks, the only thing holding the transmission is the motor mounts, which means it can move side to side/up and down all over the place. Not a good idea. The poly mount also keeps the trans in place better, so the shifter doesn't lean sideways everytime you get on or off the throttle.
    Ok, your right...I did more reading about it. I'm still going to keep this one until it breaks, but as soon as it does I'll either find a GM original or get the poly mount.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I got surprise access to a lift today, so I though I would go ahead and change the rubber one out for a poly one. I returned the rubber one and got the poly one at a different Autozone. I installed the poly one, and OMG you are right about it being better! Everthing fells much firmer when I shift and stuff. I can definately feel and hear a vibration, but I like that feeling of firmness. I'll listen more next time.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    I got surprise access to a lift today, so I though I would go ahead and change the rubber one out for a poly one. I returned the rubber one and got the poly one at a different Autozone. I installed the poly one, and OMG you are right about it being better! Everthing fells much firmer when I shift and stuff. I can definately feel and hear a vibration, but I like that feeling of firmness. I'll listen more next time.

You will get a few more vibs, but thats just because there is less isolation between the shifter and the drivetrain. After the mount breaks in it will be better too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information