Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Bad tranny mount???

This is a discussion on Bad tranny mount??? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Lately I've been noticing a clunking sound coming from under the car when I shift. Also, the shifter moves back ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Bad tranny mount???

    Lately I've been noticing a clunking sound coming from under the car when I shift. Also, the shifter moves back and forth when I give the car gas or let off of the gas pedal. I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad transmission mount. Does this sound right? Also, is there any good way to check for a bad transmission mount without unbolting it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am


    Soooommmmbody has to know...

  3. #3
    2002 Formula Firehawk 96z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,321

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    sounds like a tranny mount. Best way to make sure that is the problem is changing it and see if the sounds comes back.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    sounds like a tranny mount. Best way to make sure that is the problem is changing it and see if the sounds comes back.
    Sweet. Thats what I was hoping for. Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    if there is a lot of vibration then yes its the monut, an easy 30 min fix

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    if there is a lot of vibration then yes its the monut, an easy 30 min fix
    Really theres not a lot of vibration, its more just a clunking sound I hear coming from under the car when I let off of the clutch after shifting.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Anyways, I'm going to check it out right now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    huh. yea check it out

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    35
    Posts
    44

    black
    2000 SS convertible

    Anyone have a pic of the tranny mount from underneath the car?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    30
    Posts
    330

    Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

    That sounds exactly like a bad tranny mount. I think the're about eighty dollars from the dealer, and a poly mount from autozone is twenty five dollars. I tried the poly mount and didnt like all the noise and vibration so i returned it and bought one from the dealer.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    The transmission mount is the one between the end of the transmission and the cross memeber right? Do I have to completely remove the cross memeber to change out the mount? Also, where is the torque arm mount? I figure I might as well at least take a look at it while I'm under there.

  12. #12
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    The transmission mount is the one between the end of the transmission and the cross memeber right? Do I have to completely remove the cross memeber to change out the mount? Also, where is the torque arm mount? I figure I might as well at least take a look at it while I'm under there.
    Yes, you need to drop the crossmember to change the transmission mount. Make sure you support the transmission with a trans jack and unbolt the mount before dropping the crossmember down. Then unbolt the mount from the trans, bolt the new mount in, install the crossmember, and bolt the new mount to it. Go with a polyurethane mount from one of the sponsors, they are inexpensive and are much stronger than the stock rubber mount.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Doesn't seem to bad. Any info on the torque arm mount??? Anybody know of any pics maybe?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    I finally fixed it. It was the transmission mount. I ended up going with the cheap rubber one from Autozone. Its clearly weaker than the stock one, but they didn't have the poly ones in stock. It did only cost $15 though and it has a lifetime warranty. Since it only took like 15 minutes to change I think I'll just go get a new rubber one with the warranty everytime it breaks.

  15. #15
    Looking for my next LSX 6-Speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, Va \ Richmond, Va
    Age
    31
    Posts
    208

    PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

    I think i have the same problem so i was curious is this the part or one of them: http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1431937...ductDetail.htm

    and what did you have to do to change it exactly? anything special like someone mentioned supporting the tranny when you change it...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 6-Speeder View Post
    I think i have the same problem so i was curious is this the part or one of them: http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1431937...ductDetail.htm

    and what did you have to do to change it exactly? anything special like someone mentioned supporting the tranny when you change it...
    The one in the link is the one they were out of stock on, so I ended up getting the rubber one. Heres exactly what I did.

    Supported car on jackstands
    Put a jack under the transmission to support it
    Removed the nut holding the crossmember and mount together (18mm)
    Removed the crossmember (4-15mm bolts)
    Removed the mount from the transmission (2-13mm bolts)
    Re-install in reverse order

    I had to end up finding a different nut for the mount that holds in to the crossmember though. The new one had a different thread pattern than the old one.

  17. #17
    Looking for my next LSX 6-Speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, Va \ Richmond, Va
    Age
    31
    Posts
    208

    PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

    So you used a regular jack to hold up the tranny not a special one?

    I keep delaying buying some stands and a jack since i already got my oil changed but ill hopefully get around to it after my tune. Thanks for the help, so many lil things keep sucking away $$ lol

  18. #18
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    I finally fixed it. It was the transmission mount. I ended up going with the cheap rubber one from Autozone. Its clearly weaker than the stock one, but they didn't have the poly ones in stock. It did only cost $15 though and it has a lifetime warranty. Since it only took like 15 minutes to change I think I'll just go get a new rubber one with the warranty everytime it breaks.
    Umm...I'm sorry but thats pretty dumb.

    Do yourself a favor and get the Energy Suspension polyurethane mount. Its only $5 more, and it saves you the hassle of having the replace the rubber one every time it breaks. Not to mention that the transmission mount breaking under a load can cause some severe damage to both the transmission and the driveshaft/pinion. If it breaks, the only thing holding the transmission is the motor mounts, which means it can move side to side/up and down all over the place. Not a good idea. The poly mount also keeps the trans in place better, so the shifter doesn't lean sideways everytime you get on or off the throttle.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Umm...I'm sorry but thats pretty dumb.

    Do yourself a favor and get the Energy Suspension polyurethane mount. Its only $5 more, and it saves you the hassle of having the replace the rubber one every time it breaks. Not to mention that the transmission mount breaking under a load can cause some severe damage to both the transmission and the driveshaft/pinion. If it breaks, the only thing holding the transmission is the motor mounts, which means it can move side to side/up and down all over the place. Not a good idea. The poly mount also keeps the trans in place better, so the shifter doesn't lean sideways everytime you get on or off the throttle.
    Ok, so I might eventually get the polyurethane one. I don't ever drive my car very hard. The rubber one was the only kind Autozone had in stock. (It was like 5 til 9 so all of the auto parts stores were closing.) Maybe next time it breaks I'll get the poly one, but I'm still going to use the warranty for the rubber one to get a spare.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 6-Speeder View Post
    So you used a regular jack to hold up the tranny not a special one?

    I keep delaying buying some stands and a jack since i already got my oil changed but ill hopefully get around to it after my tune. Thanks for the help, so many lil things keep sucking away $$ lol
    I just used a floor jack. The only time you'll need a tranny jack is if you put your car up on a lift. Also, you could just use ramps instead of stands if you have them. You just need to get the car high enough so you can get under it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new tranny mount
    By JadedBird in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 06:27 AM
  2. Tranny mount
    By Justin23454 in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
  3. 01 M6 Tranny Mount..
    By CamaroFan71 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 08:13 PM
  4. Need a good T56 (LS1) Stock Tranny mount & Torque arm mount..
    By 1slosnake in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
  5. Need a good T56 (LS1) Stock Tranny mount & Torque arm mount..
    By 1slosnake in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •