Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Is it bad for the car to skip shifts????

This is a discussion on Is it bad for the car to skip shifts???? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pbguy357 I do exact same, 1st, 3rd, 5th, or 1st 4th 5th 6th and downshift, I had ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I do exact same, 1st, 3rd, 5th, or 1st 4th 5th 6th and downshift, I had front brakes on my last 01 last over 45k but I didn't downshift hard. When I did this in the car I was about to buy, after I said I didn't want it he sent me a rude email saying he was going to tell me to go home because I didn't know how to shift the car lol. I responded back nicely
    Sounds like you made the right move. Why would anyone insult a potential buyer lol. GM had the skip shift in f-bodies and 'vettes, and still does in the 'vettes, AFAIK.

    Where in IN is this ''mechanic''? I'm in Indy, I've been a tech for most of my life, and now I'm teaching the newbies at our company. I could talk to him about transmissions....

    My car just crossed 100k with the OE front pads, but they are now down to the wear sensor.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    106
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

    I actually drove over 650 miles to PA so he's not from Indiana. I only went because he said it was "perfect" shape and he fixed everything on the interior that he listed. All was a lie, carpet was coming away from door, cracks in the panel's were over 2 inches long, faded interior, plastic broke in back hatch and decals he put on that weren't even level. so kinda was a bit angry after seeing it and driving all that way. I guess he likes to have the tires chirp and shift hard at 3.5k to 4k like he does rather than someone driving it softly and skipping gears and not driving aggressively.

  3. #23
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Im no expert.....but here's my understanding

    Old transmission, "especially in big rigs?" had sequential gears that required the gear before it to be engaged first.

    newer transmissions are not.....
    Tractor Trailer and strait truck such as tri-axle drivers including myself have and do skip shift on a regular basis.. I think you're trying to discribe a manual without synchros.. Which is how "big rigs" such as Mack with say for example an older eton/fuller 18 spd.. Many of the older guys use the "double clitch" method along with the clutch brake (not to be confused with a trans break). Personally, I use rev match and never use the clutch except to get going.. Rev matching and skip shifting in a rig is the difference between climbing a hill or stopping, hoping your breaks will hold the 80,000 pounds (includes truck weight of ~15 ton empty) while one fumbles to get it back into any gear..

    The skip shift feature of the f-body 6-spd, was just an up grade for MPG awareness as the "up shift" light was in earlier GM cars and trucks..IMHO

    In most passenger cars, trucks, etc, The trans is synchronized so it does'nt matter if you jump gear 1-6, 2-6, 1-5, 3-6, or whatever combo you use other than trying to jam reverse while rolling/moving forward..

    No synchro trannies are all that can be used in 15-ton (empty weight) heavy haulers.. The tranny is already bigger or as big as a small car, adding sychros that could take the pounding of an over loaded 95,000 pound truck and load would mean the tranny would likely have to be twice it's already enormous size.. Then you'd be using all the engines power to spin tranny guts instead of hauling..lol That's why the sychroless tranny is still produced in rigs today..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #24
    Member Ant71130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lebanon, OH
    Age
    28
    Posts
    356

    Black
    2002 M6 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Tractor Trailer and strait truck such as tri-axle drivers including myself have and do skip shift on a regular basis.. I think you're trying to discribe a manual without synchros.. Which is how "big rigs" such as Mack with say for example an older eton/fuller 18 spd.. Many of the older guys use the "double clitch" method along with the clutch brake (not to be confused with a trans break). Personally, I use rev match and never use the clutch except to get going.. Rev matching and skip shifting in a rig is the difference between climbing a hill or stopping, hoping your breaks will hold the 80,000 pounds (includes truck weight of ~15 ton empty) while one fumbles to get it back into any gear..

    The skip shift feature of the f-body 6-spd, was just an up grade for MPG awareness as the "up shift" light was in earlier GM cars and trucks..IMHO

    In most passenger cars, trucks, etc, The trans is synchronized so it does'nt matter if you jump gear 1-6, 2-6, 1-5, 3-6, or whatever combo you use other than trying to jam reverse while rolling/moving forward..

    No synchro trannies are all that can be used in 15-ton (empty weight) heavy haulers.. The tranny is already bigger or as big as a small car, adding sychros that could take the pounding of an over loaded 95,000 pound truck and load would mean the tranny would likely have to be twice it's already enormous size.. Then you'd be using all the engines power to spin tranny guts instead of hauling..lol That's why the sychroless tranny is still produced in rigs today..
    So there lol.
    Good info.

  5. #25
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    So there lol.
    Good info.
    haha He kinda asked a question.. lol my bad..

    So glad I don't work on rigs anymore..

    Rig servicing is one dirty ass job..

  6. #26
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Got that right. I chose not to work on big trucks a long time ago, and have never ever regretted that decision. Hell, I don't even like 250 Heavy Duties, let alone duallies.

  7. #27
    Junior Member redrocketws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    30
    Posts
    93

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I skip shift all the time.

    1st, 2nd 4th 6th.

    I also down shift all the time to to slow down.

    Nothing wrong with it.
    ..+1

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    it doesnt hurt the transmission and i dont even use the clutch when i shift most of the time..

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1

    black
    99 camaro

    I drive a semi truck an only use the clutch for taking off and coming to a complete stop. There is times I will skip a gear either up or down shifting. Too much work to double clutch through all 10 gears.

  10. #30
    What Would Earl Do? Vexzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kirby, TX
    Posts
    230

    Fire
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    up grade for MPG awareness as the "up shift" light was in earlier GM cars and trucks.
    My "upshift light" is set at 6400 lol.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    ^^^nice.

  12. #32
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Got that right. I chose not to work on big trucks a long time ago, and have never ever regretted that decision. Hell, I don't even like 250 Heavy Duties, let alone duallies.
    Heard that! Everyday being covered in grease up to your arm pits.. We used to get Go-Jo 5 gallons @ a time..lol Brakes and wheel bearings were the most fun..
    Wheel bearings you could pass your fist through.... 1 inch drive impact guns. 36 and 48 inch long ratchets, sockets as big 3-4 inch.
    Oil filters usually 2 which held a gallon of motor oil each.. 12-15+ gallon oil changes (one truck).. No easy jobs everything is huge..lol
    When a truck came in for repair you almost hoped it was electrical..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-17-2011 at 05:42 AM.

  13. #33
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    In most passenger cars, trucks, etc, The trans is synchronized so it does'nt matter if you jump gear 1-6, 2-6, 1-5, 3-6, or whatever combo you use other than trying to jam reverse while rolling/moving forward..

    ..
    Actually, even reverse is synchornized in the T56's. I only know because I've had them apart. You can shift into reverse while the car is moving forward. They also have an electronic reverse lockout that engages if the car is rolling forward faster than either 3 or 5 mph, and this can be changed in the tune. I'd have to look in the tune again to refresh my memory but it's one of those mph's on a stock tune.
    As long as you are rolling forward slower than that, it will go into reverse just fine without harm. Not like the old muncies and toploaders

  14. #34
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    I skip all the time but hate the "skip shift". I'm never at the RPM's i want to be for it and it makes it sluggish. 1-2-6 when driving like a dick. 3 hates me...

  15. #35
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually, even reverse is synchornized in the T56's. I only know because I've had them apart. You can shift into reverse while the car is moving forward. They also have an electronic reverse lockout that engages if the car is rolling forward faster than either 3 or 5 mph, and this can be changed in the tune. I'd have to look in the tune again to refresh my memory but it's one of those mph's on a stock tune.
    As long as you are rolling forward slower than that, it will go into reverse just fine without harm. Not like the old muncies and toploaders
    Aaahh I gotcha.. FWD transaxles up till resent years were the old way too. The Isuzu Muncie knockoffs (5spd fwd) grind reverse even if the car is stopped.. Ricers like the Isuzu because it's lighter than the Muncie and the usual 4cyl needs it's retardedly short 1st-2nd.. Soon as you start building some numbers bell breaks "pop" sh*t everywhere.. plastic synchro's, pot metal rail system.

  16. #36
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually, even reverse is synchornized in the T56's. I only know because I've had them apart. You can shift into reverse while the car is moving forward. They also have an electronic reverse lockout that engages if the car is rolling forward faster than either 3 or 5 mph, and this can be changed in the tune. I'd have to look in the tune again to refresh my memory but it's one of those mph's on a stock tune.
    As long as you are rolling forward slower than that, it will go into reverse just fine without harm. Not like the old muncies and toploaders
    Im def changing that in my tune.....it seems like every day im rolling along at 35 or 40, miss my turn, and think, DAMN, if I only had reverse right now

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

  17. #37
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Im def changing that in my tune.....it seems like every day im rolling along at 35 or 40, miss my turn, and think, DAMN, if I only had reverse right now

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    At that speed it could be interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Shifts
    By tatertot91 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 09:27 PM
  2. How long are your shifts?
    By Spikito in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
  3. Notchy shifts in my T56
    By Cutlass in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 10:34 PM
  4. KR during shifts
    By richard head in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
  5. shifts
    By rice burner in forum GTO
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •