Thread: Back in Black

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Back in Black

If everything goes well, I will be spending Thursday and Friday at my brother-in-law's bodyshop getting the T/A worked on. We have to paint the hood -- it looks like something was spilled on it that etched the paint. At certain angles you can see the spill marks and where whatever it was ran down the hood.

There are a few scratches here and there, the roof panel is bubbling, the bottom of the front bumper was scuffed on the right side and and the right headlight lid rubbed the hood at some point in its life. I am pretty sure we are going to shoot the front bumper cover -- how much of a pain is it to remove?

I wasn't sure about painting it on the car as the light buckets are so deep. We have very little rust anywhere on the car so the hardware should unbolt without breaking things. The roof panel will most likely have to wait. I printed some of the roof panel repair/recall info posted and linked off this site to have him read.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Paint - day one

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

damn! I think i'm gonna schedule a trip to come out one weekend for the same thing-cool? Looks like she's gonna be looking mean as hell!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    damn! I think i'm gonna schedule a trip to come out one weekend for the same thing-cool? Looks like she's gonna be looking mean as hell!

It went a lot faster than I thought it would -- even though it ended up being a 13 hour day at the bodyshop. Tomorrow we'll block, buff and re-assemble.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Lookin very good.

White w/Blue stripes
    99 Trans Am WS6 30th#1588

I'm jealous....looks awesome!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Looks sweet... I can't wait to see it back together out in the sunlight. I wish I new someone around that I trust enough to repaint the front of my T/A. Pewter is such an easy and difficult color to paint match from what I've seen.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you should have done your airlid and deck too

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

my car needs to get repainted eventually...

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I'm in the same boat. Before I had purchased my car, someone had repainted just the front clip and the hood. Well they clearcoated over the decals they put on it, so they are under the clearcoat on the front of the car but the sides are just vinyls. Now the front clip is cracked from where someone had to have bumped into it while in the college parking lot, not sure when but it irritates me to no end. Now I want the vinyls off, the decals under the clear on the hood off and have the car repainted a deep dark black. Hopefully this is something I can afford in the next year or so.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Block & Buff - Day Two

White w/Blue stripes
    99 Trans Am WS6 30th#1588

Sexy

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Very nice, reminds me how bad I need to get my front bumper repainted...... Damn stone chips....

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

I just got done doing the same thing to my car but a little bit more in depth then what you and your brothe in law did. I re painted most of the car (i.e. engine bay coar support front bumper cause i made a custom front lip for my T/A and recleared the entire car color sanded and buffed) and I rebuilt my engine & trans to make it run stronger and faster (only thing is that i had to do almost everything myself, except the transmishion, witch was hard work but well worth it. im just glad to see some one elce doing this to their T/A Good Work it looks awesome!
    Here is one pic of my custom front lip, its not that good of a pic but its the best I could take it with untill I get my brother to take some pro pics. Let me know what you think.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks great! I saw a few F-bodies at Carlisle with added lips on the front and it is definitely a good look. Post up some more pics when you can.

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Looks sweet... I can't wait to see it back together out in the sunlight. I wish I new someone around that I trust enough to repaint the front of my T/A. Pewter is such an easy and difficult color to paint match from what I've seen.
    I'm in the same boat, my bird is pewter and for some reason the hood has lost its gloss. It's not too noticable now, but I haven't found anyone in my area that I trust to match the color right.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, my bird is pewter and for some reason the hood has lost its gloss. It's not too noticable now, but I haven't found anyone in my area that I trust to match the color right.
    If your paint is not bad looking bad just no gloss then all you really need is a couple coats of clear then no paint matching. Or you could just try to buff it or color sand with 2000 wet sand paper and buff this is the easy way but you have to be careful not to sand too much clear off or you will have no UV protection and your paint will start to fade fast from the sun (this should only be done by someone with a paint thickness gauge).

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    If your paint is not bad looking bad just no gloss then all you really need is a couple coats of clear then no paint matching. Or you could just try to buff it or color sand with 2000 wet sand paper and buff this is the easy way but you have to be careful not to sand too much clear off or you will have no UV protection and your paint will start to fade fast from the sun (this should only be done by someone with a paint thickness gauge).
    Thanks! I'll remember that. I keep it waxed and out of the sun when possible. Not sure what caused the fading, its on the lower front half of the hood. Doesn't look like a spill or anything.

I've got to get some other spots touched up like the front bumper (major rock peck before I got it) and the driver's side mirror has a quarter size ding. I've used touch paint and waxed for now but I'd like to get it fixed by a pro.

Thread Information