Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Attention Trans am Daily Drivers!!!!

As you guys know the daytime running lights on our cars suck total balls... thats pretty much all that can be said about them... I replaced AGAIN one of my DRL sockets.

So im thinking of doing what GM shoulda did

I dont want to intrude on ANY of our sponsors but this is an awesome damn site and I dont think any of our sponsors have these. Looks like I will be buying at least 100 bucks worth of connectors when I get the time/money. Any custom wiring I will be doing ill be using these from now on under the hood.

Damn great site.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx
    Last edited by JoshieDoom; 12-28-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yeah, considering how long they last and the amount of work involved with R2'ing them. Looks like a better idea.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I know for a fact my housings arent cracked(fixed them) and after a giant rainstorm the other day I took out the bulb and dumped water outta it. Its getting in through the actual seal i think. Ive also thought of relocating the bulb to the top of the housing.That would cure it as well.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

What I do is just silicone around the bulb but, that only lasts a bit longer. I've heard of a few people drilling extra drain holes in the bottom which is what I'm going to do today as I also have to change out my left DRL housing.

I changed the right one out about a month or so ago but, now the left one needs it.

Yeah, gets real old.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Im gonna buy some new housings and the autotrix seal kit and see if that helps it. I cleaned mine out about a year ago and sealed and polished them, already going back to that foggy dark grey color. The tailights.. dont even want to go there..

Considering im gonna have to buy the tool to crimp those gm connectors ill probably buy a ton of connectors and do everything under the hood LOL.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    What I do is just silicone around the bulb but, that only lasts a bit longer. I've heard of a few people drilling extra drain holes in the bottom which is what I'm going to do today as I also have to change out my left DRL housing.

I changed the right one out about a month or so ago but, now the left one needs it.

Yeah, gets real old.
    My SS has the same problem.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Sent you a pm about the smoked acrylic lens covers. Way better idea than shining them and way hotter looking too IMO.
    Last edited by BIG GUNS; 12-28-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I shaded all my sidemarkers and I drive mostly at night. I need the visability but if they shine through awesome then i might get a set. Anybody blocked off the front vents with plexiglass? They let most of the water in IMO

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

haha actually if i have to drive in the rain, which I dont do often i just put some painters tape over the plastic grills....sounds retarded but it works

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Well, today I replaced the drivers side DRL socket which I hadn't done since I owned it.

I had replaced the passenger side one about a month or so ago and I also drilled 2 holes next to the socket area which should help drain the water if it starts to collect.

Plenty of bulb grease and silicone around the bulb outta do it. I hope.....lol.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Well, today I replaced the drivers side DRL socket which I hadn't done since I owned it.

I had replaced the passenger side one about a month or so ago and I also drilled 2 holes next to the socket area which should help drain the water if it starts to collect.

Plenty of bulb grease and silicone around the bulb outta do it. I hope.....lol.
    Drilling holes in them is the best thing I ever did. i havent had to replace a bulb for over a month now.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Drilling holes in them is the best thing I ever did. i havent had to replace a bulb for over a month now.
    Ooooh, a month huh?.......lol. I'm hoping to get more than a month. When I first purchased the car, I didn't have to replace any of the DRL bulbs til about 8 months later I was talking shit about not having problems with them.....lol.

Then the dilema began. Anyways, I agree that these things need a bit more drainage as they always collect a fair amount of water.

Time will tell right? Thanks for the tip on that. I'm hoping this does the trick.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Ooooh, a month huh?.......lol. I'm hoping to get more than a month. When I first purchased the car, I didn't have to replace any of the DRL bulbs til about 8 months later I was talking shit about not having problems with them.....lol.

Then the dilema began. Anyways, I agree that these things need a bit more drainage as they always collect a fair amount of water.

Time will tell right? Thanks for the tip on that. I'm hoping this does the trick.

Man, I was replacing the bulbs once a week for a little while there. I finally siliconed em up, and drilled some holes and hopefully they last a while. So yeah, a whole month is nice haha

Black
    00 WS6

I replaced mine about six months ago and have not had a problem.....however, i have not driven in the rain either!!!

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Okay... Same prob here. But how about using LED turn bulbs??? Less heat = no cracks for leaks! And they use less energy. Buy new housing and install a bulb from here.

http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm
    Last edited by Fearls1; 12-29-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Man, I was replacing the bulbs once a week for a little while there. I finally siliconed em up, and drilled some holes and hopefully they last a while. So yeah, a whole month is nice haha
    Damn, I thought I was hosed for doing that. Was driving me crazy.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    I replaced mine about six months ago and have not had a problem.....however, i have not driven in the rain either!!!
    You just jynx'd yourself.......lol.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

...I've never had any problems with the DRL's yet. I have 38K on my car though.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Had my car in the snow and cold in Mass. from 1998 till 2007 and now it's in the rain and humidity of TX and I have never had any problems with my lights. I have driven it in all weather as it was daily transport till recently.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I think most of the time, the front lens is cracked and/or the seal is dry rotted allowing the housing to fill up with water. I know I have at least one that is cracked.

Thread Information