Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Approximate Transam Value? Please help!

I've been a member here for a long long time, even before the boards got reset! Unfortunately I haven't been able to post or check the forums much lately

I'm having trouble figuring out the current going values for Transams. KBB put it at $10,395 and NADAGuides puts it at $12,850 to $14,500.

2001 Transam
    Mileage: 44,000
    Black Exterior, Black Interior
    Mods: WS6 Hood, Tint, 1LE Swaybar, DirectFlo Lid, Thunder Ported MAF, Ported TB, BGRamAir, LG Springs, Bilstein Shocks, BMR Strut Tower Bar, BMR Subframe Connectors, Corsa Exhaust, 17x9 firehawk rims
    Issues: Cracked Door Panels, Suspension Squeak

It looks practically brand new on the exterior and interior minus the door panel issue, no wear on the seats either.

Anyone want to give me approximate values? A friend is asking to buy it and I'm not sure what to ask for. I'm not even sure I want to sell it, but I just want an idea of what it is worth.

Thanks!
    Last edited by neophytal; 01-07-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: title change.
    2001 transam ws7 * black/black * modded up. * sold
    1993 3000gt vr4 * silver/tan * modded/boosted/awd * sold

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Most likely about 11,500 at best. These cars have dropped in value big time.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I would say 10,000 its clean but not a ws6 if it were a real ws6 then 12,000

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Don't sell it. You'll regret it later.

I don't think the value has dropped recently, and it might even be going up. People love the cars, the supply is dropping, and Pontiac won't be reviving the line. If you need to sell and inspection shows the car to be in good condition, aim high. If nobody bites, then lower the asking price.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I don't think the value has dropped recently, and it might even be going up. People love the cars, the supply is dropping, and Pontiac won't be reviving the line. If you need to sell and inspection shows the car to be in good condition, aim high. If nobody bites, then lower the asking price.
    I agree. The dealers around here have been asking 15-20K for a clean TA. It seems the prices are going up for the most part.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Dealers smoke rock and then price their cars to fix their habit

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    Dealers smoke rock and then price their cars to fix their habit
    True.

But if the demand is there though...they will get what they are asking.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    True.

But if the demand is there though...they will get what they are asking.
    The demand is not there and the car requires a select buyer. yes, if the car is extremely low mileage and the "right buyer" happens along, you sell it for an OK price. The dealer that took my trade hoped to get 16-17, listed it for 18,995 it has been on the market for 16 weeks and the price is now down to 14,299 and still no takers. It was mint, 39K miles, vert. I listed it for 13K for three weeks and didn't receive one call. There’s an 02 on a lot here in Kenosha with 33K miles fully loaded, black/black mint selling for 12K, which means they would most likely take an offer of 10,500 maybe even 9,500. The car looks great but I don’t know the history. The fact the car is now 8-9 years old screams that parts will be hard to find, air bag deployment = total, replacement parts will need to be fabricated which costs big $$$. The car is just not that appealing. Most will end up being bought by young adults that want a muscle car to show off in and eventually totaled out. The car in question is heavily modded which takes away from it’s collector value. I’m not saying the car is not worth every penny the owner has placed into it, he needs the right buyer, a gearhead racer that can appreciate the mods, and understands the risk that comes with a modded car.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    The demand is not there and the car requires a select buyer. yes, if the car is extremely low mileage and the "right buyer" happens along, you sell it for an OK price. The dealer that took my trade hoped to get 16-17, listed it for 18,995 it has been on the market for 16 weeks and the price is now down to 14,299 and still no takers. It was mint, 39K miles, vert. I listed it for 13K for three weeks and didn't receive one call. There’s an 02 on a lot here in Kenosha with 33K miles fully loaded, black/black mint selling for 12K, which means they would most likely take an offer of 10,500 maybe even 9,500. The car looks great but I don’t know the history. The fact the car is now 8-9 years old screams that parts will be hard to find, air bag deployment = total, replacement parts will need to be fabricated which costs big $$$. The car is just not that appealing. Most will end up being bought by young adults that want a muscle car to show off in and eventually totaled out. The car in question is heavily modded which takes away from it’s collector value. I’m not saying the car is not worth every penny the owner has placed into it, he needs the right buyer, a gearhead racer that can appreciate the mods, and understands the risk that comes with a modded car.
    It depends on the demographic. Here (Colorado Spings), two TA's that I was interested in sold in 3 days after the were put on the lot. Both for 18k. One was an 02 with 26k and the other was a 00 with 57k. Both had an advertised price of 21K. I tried to haggle both dealers down, and they wouldn't budge more than a couple thousand. Both of them told me that clean low mileage TA's were in high demand lately and they are being priced accordingly. I have been casualy looking to pick up a clean (all stock) low mileage TA to put away. But around here, they are hard to come by. You can find plenty of high mileage TA's, but that is not what I am looking for. I have kind of switched gears anyway...and now looking for a used C6 Z06 for a decent price.

Bottom line...if you want one bad enough and you can afford it, you will pay the asking price.

Thanks, the comments so far have been really helpful. However, on the comment above about my car.... my car isn't highly modded. The only things that aren't easily returnable to stock are the springs/shocks and the subframe connectors (welded). <I even have the stock transam hood if someone really wanted to return it back to that.. but I don't know why, lol>

It sounds like it just depends on the location... which doesn't really help me figure it out since I only know a handful of LS1 owners here. aaaaaaaaaaah.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sucks....but....

www.nada.com
    www.kbb.com

Black
    1999 Firebird

Lol looks like you don't drive it much by the rusty brake calipers but I would go with waldo about 11,500 or 12,000 since it is still in good condition for the most part

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Sucks....but....

www.nada.com
    www.kbb.com

I wish dealers used those.

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

take the average of the two prices from BB and NADA and 1/4 amount of the total spent on extras and that should be the starting price .

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by SPDYGON View Post
    take the average of the two prices from BB and NADA and 1/4 amount of the total spent on extras and that should be the starting price .
    Hate to break it to ya but extras mean nothing on resale.... In fact a lot of SERIOUS buyers willing to pay top dollar for one of these will walk away from a modded car. I know I did.... a few times.

Ended up paying 11,500 for a 45k mile 2000 Firehawk bone stock clean title garage kept. This was back in June. So maybe that would give you a rough idea what these are going for?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Hate to break it to ya but extras mean nothing on resale....

Depending on the mods...it can even lower the value.

I wonder if the differing economic conditions across the country partially explains the disparity.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Well I am in NY where a lot of the buyers of these cars have more money than brains. Remember NY has one of the highest costs of living in the nation. People who live here tend to have the means. Even considering that these cars just aren't selling for what they were just a year to a year and a half ago. Fact of life that to the average buyer Pontiac is a dead brand. Suddenly there is more supply than demand for these cars. The only people looking at a firebird of any kind right now are people that are hellbent on getting a firebird and at the moment the getting is good. This will last for several years till parts become terribly hard to find or styles change enough that people no longer desire these cars. then through attrition the numbers will diminish used parts will rise in value and slowly but surely the remaining cars that were kept original and unmolested will begin creeping up in value.

Till then?? sucks to be a seller... not so bad to be a buyer

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Paid 6800 for a 00 ta blk/blk leather t-top auto with 105k mi and no mods in near perfect cond for the miles. He was asking 7800 and came down pretty quick. I say price it high if you are unsure or don't care about selling and if it's time for something different price it lower. Cars are kinda like women, they see a hot one you are bonded to and they want it and some will go to great lengths to get them.lol

Thread Information