Anyone used EBC slotted rotors on their TA?

This is a discussion on Anyone used EBC slotted rotors on their TA? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I am about to put new rotors and pads on my 98 WS6. I can get some EBC USR slotted ...

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Anyone used EBC slotted rotors on their TA?

I am about to put new rotors and pads on my 98 WS6.
    I can get some EBC USR slotted rotors for a really good price.
    Was curious if anyone with a similar car had tried these and what their experience was.

Thanks in advance.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I haven't used those rotors but have used a number of EBC brake products in the past with very good results. Generally a better price than some other brands and very good wear and friction. The EBC web site specifically talks about using their redstuff pads for the street or yellowstuff for the track with these rotors. I've seen guys buy expensive rotors then go cheap on the pads and can't figure out why they aren't feeling the difference they expected. Worth sticking with matched components in my experience.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I had them on my 02 SS and they worked fantastic. Top quality and no issues at all.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    I haven't used those rotors but have used a number of EBC brake products in the past with very good results. Generally a better price than some other brands and very good wear and friction. The EBC web site specifically talks about using their redstuff pads for the street or yellowstuff for the track with these rotors. I've seen guys buy expensive rotors then go cheap on the pads and can't figure out why they aren't feeling the difference they expected. Worth sticking with matched components in my experience.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yup I agree with the need for good quality parts.
    I spoke with the tech guys at both EBC and Hawk.
    They reinforced what I was thinking. The pads are the first and most important thing to consider.
    So just getting new rotors is not going to do anything but if they are drilled chew them up faster.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the EBC USR's for the rear because I found them on sale for $63/pair. The next day they were back up to $141 like the fronts I bought.

I did look at the EBC chart in their catalog along with speaking to the rep. I run EBC HH (highest friction level available with sintered copper) on my Suzuki bike and it make a big difference. I was considering the Yellow Stuff.

I was also looking at the Hawks from the HPS to the HP plus and read what limited reviews I could find on them.
    Finally after talking to enough people I just bought some of Hawks new HPS 5.0 pads which are supposed to be somewhere between the HPS and HP plus pads but not be really noisy (the car is noisy enough as it is). Plus the WS6 store had them for a lower price than anywhere else I looked...I think they are a sponsor here so if so a plug for their pricing.

I could not afford to go expensive with some Brembo's or something similar but for sure needed to upgrade and have shorter braking distance and much better resistance to fade when hot.
    I don't race the car but drive fast on the street sometimes and really found out the limits of the brakes when I raced a Olds 442 W30 in 6 consecutive stop light to stop light races full out which meant really slamming on the brakes when coming up to the light. By the last race the rotors were red hot and the brakes had faded significantly and took a long time to cool down and come back. So I think with these pads and those rotors which will help keep the pads flat I will be happy enough. I was for sure not going to get anything but made in places I trust like the US or UK which is what I ended up with. I absolutely do not trust the quality of metals made in China for example.

I probably would have gone with plain rotors had I not come across the deal I could but am glad I ended up with what I have. It was a total of $350 for both front and rear rotors and pads which is not a bad deal IMO.
    I recently got new tires and the tire shop gave me an unsolicited quote for new front brakes of $535 which would have used substandard parts I am sure. Brakes are one of the most important things on a car obviously but thankfully since it is winter they are also one of the easiest and fastest things to do.

Just need to be them in properly and think I will be good.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I had them on my 02 SS and they worked fantastic. Top quality and no issues at all.
    Great, I trust EBC. They make those rotors in the UK and finish them in Las Vegas and I think I will be as happy with them as you were. Plus my car is black so with the black rotors it will look good aesthetically for anyone that happens to peek through the spokes of the wheels lol.
    To be honest 99% of the time I wish that the car did not have ABS as I would rather do the braking myself. I live in the Seattle area so having it on in the rain is OK for unplanned quick stops. I just think the ABS is not sophisticated enough to make for better braking.

I used to have a 1970 GTO HO 455. Wish I still had it, my dad bought it new and it was stock and mint. Still very different than modern muscle cars. It might sound crazy but sometimes I miss having high quality vinyl vs leather, especially as in the TA. It seems to last forever and is cheap and easy to repair. I like the body style of my TA but with the new cars out I am thinking about saving up for one of those when they have had a few years to depreciate. Cars like the new Z06 or Challenger with the Hellcat motor look pretty cool to me...especially the 707Hp.
    Still I am going to keep the WS6 up and do a bit more for it. I am inheriting a 78 BMW 530i with aftermarket turbo (another inherited car) that I plan to use as the daily driver so I can put more care in to the TA. It is hard for me to do a lot of labor on a car I have to have ready to drive every day so looking forward to that. My car now has 60K miles but the new parts in the motor were fairly recent so I expect I still want to make it nice...though I do wish it still only had 30K on it like your car
    Comp Cams 242R, beehive springs, LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter trays, Comp Cam steel caged trunion bearing upgrade, Moly pushrods, Ported LS6 oil pump. Dyno tune...So far.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Running R1 Concepts slotted rotors on our car and Hawk HPS pads. Made a huge difference in stopping power. After 3 years, the rotors still look great too.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Running R1 Concepts slotted rotors on our car and Hawk HPS pads. Made a huge difference in stopping power. After 3 years, the rotors still look great too.
    Cool. I am hoping to see similar results. Everything should be here the start of next week so I can get them on.
    Anxious to try them out.

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information