any autobody guys can help with 96 T/A front clip?

This is a discussion on any autobody guys can help with 96 T/A front clip? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; so i just bought the car and this is one of the very few things that is wrong with it. ...

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

any autobody guys can help with 96 T/A front clip?

so i just bought the car and this is one of the very few things that is wrong with it. i am sure it was not hit i just think the plastic has warped over time. is there anything that could be done to correct the issue? is this common???

thanks for any help!!!

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

if its warped, you cant fix it, youll have to replace the whole thing...have you tried maybe looking to see whats on the other side of that, maybe there's sumthing pushing out???

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    if its warped, you cant fix it, youll have to replace the whole thing...have you tried maybe looking to see whats on the other side of that, maybe there's sumthing pushing out???
    naw, there is nothing pushing it out

White
    1998 Trans Am

Can't promise it will fix you particular issue but when a bumper is outta shape the 1st thing is get a heat gun warm it up becarful not to get it too hot and bubble the paint and keep a bucket with cold water with ice
    If needed and when it warms it will flex push it in and hit it with the cold water to harden it back up. Works on most bumpers with slight warping that I have done but not everyone. Worth a try since you can do it yourself and it cost just a walmart heat gun if you don't own one
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Mmmm...,

Ryan is dead right!

More than likely it is ABS which is a thermoplastic which means it can be repeatedly warmed and re-shaped (to a degree) and then left to cool.

If as suggested, you are careful with the paint finish i would not be surprised to see that go right back!!
    I had an old car with a similar defect and it went right away with careful heat gun application....GOOD LUCK!!

Trev.... )

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Can't promise it will fix you particular issue but when a bumper is outta shape the 1st thing is get a heat gun warm it up becarful not to get it too hot and bubble the paint and keep a bucket with cold water with ice
    If needed and when it warms it will flex push it in and hit it with the cold water to harden it back up. Works on most bumpers with slight warping that I have done but not everyone. Worth a try since you can do it yourself and it cost just a walmart heat gun if you don't own one

i like this idea but i'm not sure i want to chance hurting the paint. maybe i will wait till it's time to repaint the car (or at least the front bumper)

thank you very much. that really is a brilliant idea!

Thread Information