Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

Any advice for a ws6 driver?

Hi, My cousin is 18 yrs old and drives a 99 Ws6 A4. He takes it out to the Qualcome Race legal track in S.D(1/8 of a mile). He is fully stock except for his flowmaster exaust. His best time so far is a 9.1 sec.Some one said that if he removes the air filter it will give him better air flow .He's afraid it might hurt the eng. or give him a check eng. light. Is there any advice you guys can give him on cheep mods or techniques.Thanks!

Luis...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by wicked illusions
    Hi, My cousin is 18 yrs old and drives a 99 Ws6 A4. He takes it out to the Qualcome Race legal track in S.D(1/8 of a mile). He is fully stock except for his flowmaster exaust. His best time so far is a 9.1 sec.Some one said that if he removes the air filter it will give him better air flow .He's afraid it might hurt the eng. or give him a check eng. light. Is there any advice you guys can give him on cheep mods or techniques.Thanks!

Luis...
    Yea it might give him better flow, but it is not worth the time and effort. Have him check out www.installuniversity.com there is a whole lot of free mods that he can do to lower his et, without spending a dime!!

Black
    97 Formula

Best way to improve 1/4 times is to practice, practice, practice.

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Poctiac Trans Am-A4

I did that old gag when I first got my 2000. Seemed to give it a little (very little) umph. But I would just buy a CAI or lid.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Tell him to save up and get a stall convertor. He can thank us later

red

Quote Originally Posted by wicked illusions

Luis...
    I race there as well and it's not the best track at all for traction which he should look into getting tires for it. Look at his 60ft times. As for the air filter is one trick you can play with.
    1996 Z28 LT-1 (with basic bolt-on)

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Its not worth the risk of dirt/rocks and other track debrigh geting in the engine. I tried it once and it gave me maybe a tenth improvement in the 1/4 mile and about a half a mph trap speed. So in the 1/8th you may not see much of a difference. Most of that difference is probably going to be up top in the higher speeds anyhow which you dont get on an 1/8th mile track. Best thing you can do is throw some suspension on it and some tires. Id reccomend starting off with some subframe connectors, and a Spohn Race Rear Sway Bar.. Another trick is to remove the Front sway bar to take a little weight off the front. It all depends on how serious you are about racing the car. I change out just about every suspension part possable and upgraded it and it droped my 1/4 time by about .5 tenths just by lowering my 60ft time.

Thread Information