Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

allen samuels dealership totaled my car!

This is a discussion on allen samuels dealership totaled my car! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I know this doesn't quite compare, but... Several years ago, my boss had bought a brand new top of the ...

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Dealer Wreck

I know this doesn't quite compare, but...

Several years ago, my boss had bought a brand new top of the line Lexus. It was a very expensive car, but I don't know (or care) what the model was.

He was doing everything he was told, down to only letting the dealership change the oil. Sometime less than a year into owning it, he took it to them for an oil change and to "make sure everything else is right". The took it out onto a busy road, floored it, and ran smack into the back of a truck. Yup, gas works, but the driver isn't quite as effective.

The dealership called to break the bad news to him. Then they told him "don't worry, your insurance will pay for it." Oohh, he didn't like that one. He told them to go ... well, have relations with themselves. Since I had my camera with me, he sent me down to take pictures. Hey, whatever, I was still on the clock. The nose was crushed. Hood, fenders, everything would have to be replaced. The windshield had several cracks. The fenders had shoved back into the front doors, so they even needed to be replaced. He told them, "I want the full value of what I paid, since you destroyed my car. I won't accept anything else." They laughed.

That was the last time he talked to them. This is the point your at. Don't say another word to them. Don't be a nuisance. It'll just hurt you in court. He called our corp lawyer, who handed everything from there. Our lawyer was a complete asshole, but that's what you want in a lawyer when they're on your side. He called, and gave them the conditions. "Full value of the car pre-accident. No exceptions."

They ended up in court.

The dealership spent the next 6 months rebuilding it on their dime. Like I said, it was a mess. A very expensive mess. He got a very polite call from the repair department receptionist, "Your car is finished, and can pick it up now." Ooohhhhh, he didn't like that.

The trial continued, but now the terms changed. Since they were only handing over the repaired car, but it's been in a serious accident and therefore depreciated (thanks CarFax), he would *ONLY* be willing to accept the car back if they also cut him a check for the 6 months where he couldn't use it, *AND* the depreciation due to the damages.

So for another 6 months, and several hearings and appeals, the car sat at their lot. He refused to even go look at it. As far as he was concerned, *THAT* was not his car. *THEY* bought that car the moment they wrecked it.

Finally, the dealership lost in court. He was handed the keys, and the check for the time he was without the car, and the depreciation on it.

He drove it from the Lexus dealership to the Mercedes dealership and bought a high end Mercedes. He only had the car back for like 20 minutes.

So my advice. Don't say another word to (or about) the dealership. Anything you say may be construed as threatening or libelous. Get a good lawyer. The dealership will lose in court, unless you really screw this up. It'll take some time. If they're smart, they'll offer a settlement a few days after your lawyer calls. Make very sure the settlement includes paying all legal fees. I'm pretty sure your lawyer will be sure it's included.

Big Fat Disclaimer: Don't take my advice as legal advice. I could be a complete idiot. Talk to a lawyer qualified in that jurisdiction.

Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

So whats been going on with the dealership? Im interested in finding out because im from Corpus Christi and i think that allen samuels is messed up for doing this. I hope you get what your asking for. It really grinds my gears hearing about this because TA's are hard to find especially if its a WS6. These cars are not like mustangs where you can find pratically at every lot, you have to really look for a TA and be willing to travel to get the one you want.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    I know this doesn't quite compare, but...

Several years ago, my boss had bought a brand new top of the line Lexus. It was a very expensive car, but I don't know (or care) what the model was.

He was doing everything he was told, down to only letting the dealership change the oil. Sometime less than a year into owning it, he took it to them for an oil change and to "make sure everything else is right". The took it out onto a busy road, floored it, and ran smack into the back of a truck. Yup, gas works, but the driver isn't quite as effective.

The dealership called to break the bad news to him. Then they told him "don't worry, your insurance will pay for it." Oohh, he didn't like that one. He told them to go ... well, have relations with themselves. Since I had my camera with me, he sent me down to take pictures. Hey, whatever, I was still on the clock. The nose was crushed. Hood, fenders, everything would have to be replaced. The windshield had several cracks. The fenders had shoved back into the front doors, so they even needed to be replaced. He told them, "I want the full value of what I paid, since you destroyed my car. I won't accept anything else." They laughed.

That was the last time he talked to them. This is the point your at. Don't say another word to them. Don't be a nuisance. It'll just hurt you in court. He called our corp lawyer, who handed everything from there. Our lawyer was a complete asshole, but that's what you want in a lawyer when they're on your side. He called, and gave them the conditions. "Full value of the car pre-accident. No exceptions."

They ended up in court.

The dealership spent the next 6 months rebuilding it on their dime. Like I said, it was a mess. A very expensive mess. He got a very polite call from the repair department receptionist, "Your car is finished, and can pick it up now." Ooohhhhh, he didn't like that.

The trial continued, but now the terms changed. Since they were only handing over the repaired car, but it's been in a serious accident and therefore depreciated (thanks CarFax), he would *ONLY* be willing to accept the car back if they also cut him a check for the 6 months where he couldn't use it, *AND* the depreciation due to the damages.

So for another 6 months, and several hearings and appeals, the car sat at their lot. He refused to even go look at it. As far as he was concerned, *THAT* was not his car. *THEY* bought that car the moment they wrecked it.

Finally, the dealership lost in court. He was handed the keys, and the check for the time he was without the car, and the depreciation on it.

He drove it from the Lexus dealership to the Mercedes dealership and bought a high end Mercedes. He only had the car back for like 20 minutes.

So my advice. Don't say another word to (or about) the dealership. Anything you say may be construed as threatening or libelous. Get a good lawyer. The dealership will lose in court, unless you really screw this up. It'll take some time. If they're smart, they'll offer a settlement a few days after your lawyer calls. Make very sure the settlement includes paying all legal fees. I'm pretty sure your lawyer will be sure it's included.

Big Fat Disclaimer: Don't take my advice as legal advice. I could be a complete idiot. Talk to a lawyer qualified in that jurisdiction.
    Hell Yes!!

x1000

97 Firebird v6

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin78transams View Post
    about two weeks ago i went to the dealership and picked out a 2010 ss camaro i wanted and told them i wanted the same payments i had on my car for how much i owed which was 13000. i got a call from the general manager saying that is not going to happen
    LOL, bzzzzzzzzt, wrong answer!

Correct answer: "Sir, we are SO sorry, please come out and pick the color of 2010 Camaro SS you would like and accept our humblest apologies." I would NEVER EVER take a car to a dealership that had a whiff of controversy like this for service, and AFAIK SERVICE is the dealerships bread and butter, not sales, even when fleecing Joe Public is taken into consideration.

Blue
    1999 Z28 SS

Angry

about two weeks ago i went to the dealership and picked out a 2010 ss camaro i wanted and told them i wanted the same payments i had on my car for how much i owed which was 13000. i got a call from the general manager saying that is not going to happen so i told him me, my family, and friends will go stand out there at allen samuels and picket, letting the media know that we will be out there. he told me they will haul us off for being on private property, i told his stupid ass that the sidewalk is not his property. he told me that he is trying to work with me ( which is bs) but if i did that, that it will be the end of it and he will stop trying to help, and then he actually hung up on me! The general manager hanging up on a customer! Anyways he called back like ten minutes later saying that he is going to try to help one more time, asking what i really wanted (reasonably). I told him the only other thing i would take is a 2002 ws6 with really low mileage. He said he will start looking
    Good luck keep me up. Sorry tohear about your car.

black
    2002 trans am

they finally decided to give me the value of my car which was 13,900 plus another 5,000 and i owed 12,500 so i ended up staying with 6,400. i took the deal thinking it was ok. what do yall think?

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

they finally decided to give me the value of my car which was 13,900 plus another 5,000 and i owed 12,500 so i ended up staying with 6,400. i took the deal thinking it was ok. what do yall think?
    Really, all I'd expect is for them to give you current market value. So if that's $13.9k, and you owed $12.5k, you could have just walked away with $1,400. Did they say what the $5k was for? I'd bet it was a little something to shut you up, probably advised by their legal counsel. Oddly enough, it's about what they can drop the listed price on a car for because "they like you".

Myself, I'd take it as a satisfactory deal, and it's probably all you'd get in court. I'd never do business with them again though.

I would guess that they expect you to turn around and put that as your down payment on a new car, so they don't actually lose anything. Go spend it elsewhere.

I just had a quick look at Craigslist out there. There's a black '00 WS/6 for $11.2k, and a silver '02 TransAm (with ram air hood) for $12.0k

But remember, no matter how much you love your car, and how much you take care of it, there'll always be someone else around to fuck it up for you. I know someone selling a 1965 Corvette convertible. It lives in the garage, and is barely driven because it *might* get damaged by someone else. It makes me cry knowing that it wants to be driven so badly.
    Last edited by JWSmythe; 04-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I think you did fine. If you had to hire a lawyer, go to court (would take 12-24 months!) you would probably not get any more than that, and you would have to pay the lawyer a few thousand $$$. Well done!

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

did you get to keep the car? for parts

White
    1998 Trans Am

Dam that took a while to get that money. Never go do dealerships for service unless it's a new car warranty issue. Their hourly rate is usually the highest and their techs are usually retards, same goes for their body shops. I applied a couple years ago at a few and they pay less than MAACO It took several trips to get my gf's moms Accord fixed right at Sterling and my other friend fell for the same line from the ins. take it to our preffered shop and we'll make sure it's ok, his car went back 4 times till the ins. company told him to go fnd a place he like so it ended up in my shop and I took the ins. for every penny I could get. I like fixing cars but hate fixing others mistakes. takes twice as long as starting with a damaged car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

black
    2002 trans am

thanks for all yalls help and replies! no i did not get to keep the car, the insurance wanted $3000 for it

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

thanks for all yalls help and replies! no i did not get to keep the car, the insurance wanted $3000 for it
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they settled. Sounds like you got the money you deserved.

Take it, get yourself another good F-body, and never go back there.

Red
    2001 ws6

congrats on the settlement, got any pics of the damage they did? depending, if you would bought the car back for 3k you coulda made a few more thousand

2000 Camaro B4C

heres the link to the pics he posted of the car

http://www.kristv.com/news/shop-empl...customers-car/

2000 Camaro B4C

sounds like you came out with a pretty good deal in the end

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

its crazy that it did that much damage and he only had minor injuries.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Congrats now go on tech and get a deal!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

holy shit, he def totaled that thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

black
    2002 trans am

proud to say that i did use the money i got and found me a pretty good 2000 camaro ss

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Glad to hear things worked out well for you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information