Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Air Lid ??'s

This is a discussion on Air Lid ??'s within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The best one to get is a Blackwing lid if you can find one, OEM quality. Baffles are to keep ...

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

The best one to get is a Blackwing lid if you can find one, OEM quality. Baffles are to keep out the rain and possibly noise reduction. I took mine out and sealed the hood to the airbox as have a lot of guys without any issues.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    The best one to get is a Blackwing lid if you can find one, OEM quality. Baffles are to keep out the rain and possibly noise reduction. I took mine out and sealed the hood to the airbox as have a lot of guys without any issues.
    Isn't there a panel or a 'block' of some kind in the WS6 hood that keeps the rain out? (because I can't see straight thru to the hood nostrils when I look at the hood from underneath).

Otherwise the air filter would get soaked if only the plastic baffle behind the lid stopped rain.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yeah there are also baffles in the nostrils on the hood for rain blocking. Most of the airflow comes up from underneath via the air ram down there. It's pretty difficult for water to flow up that high and get sucked into the intake. You run a higher water risk if you take out the hood baffles.

I've read multiple posts from people who say they're driven through rain without the hood baffles and never had trouble. But I've also seen people say they hydrolocked on the first rain shower they drove through. So make of that what you will...

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Most folks say 'a lid is a lid'... I have an SLP lid. I have seen others state that the lid doesn't seal 100% to the airbox. I completely agree. My 'check oil' light has been flashing, and I just changed the oil. My thought was that pollen was getting in, so I pulled the lid off just today. Sure enough, I found large bits of pollen type material caught on the MAF screen. I went to the autozone and bought some adhesive foam weather stripping and lined the inner edge of the lid with it. I reattached the lid and it was much harder to pop into place, and after a couple of minutes I took it back off and could clearly see the indented markings of the filter edge in the foam. So now I know that the lid is sealed tightly!
    Just something to keep in mind. I don't know if other brands of lids, like the Fast Toys or Blackwing lids, fit better and might not give this kind of issue...

-----

PS, if you buy a K&N filter, it comes with a border of foam weathersealer to line the inside of the lid with, for just this reason. The SLP lid itself just comes with 1 edge of foam for the back edge, wherease the K&N filter comes with a nice rectangular piece for lining all four edges. However, I bought my filter FIRST so it's nice lining was on the stock lid. I can't say for sure if it would've helped seal the lid better, maybe some others can comment to that?

Buy if you haven't already bought a K&N filter, my advise is to buy it AFTER the lid so you can apply that foal seal to the new lid instead of your stock lid...
    This guy has it down. I did that too after this guy at the shop asked if I wanted my MAF "cleaned", atleast thats what I thought he said. I came back and he Descreened my maf! I was like WTF man? He was in shock and said "what?, there's 10hp right there."
    I said Id rather my car be safe than have a little hp!
    -So i get the car home pull of the lid and to my luck the stock foam slp had on the lid was half way detached holding on to a little peice of that adhesive and halfway to my throttlebody
    Lucky I am, Do not de-screen it.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yikes! The foam almost got sucked in?? That probably wouldn't have been good! Yeah, there's better ways to get a few extra HP without as much risk as descreening the MAF. I've read where people have found blades of grass, leaves, piece of paper, etc stuck on the MAF screen. It's the last line of defense for just such large foreign objects! Smart people usually only do that for track-only cars...

Anyway, I know the OP wasn't talking about doing that, just the natural progression of the conversation...

And thanks Blackbird for backing my opinion. This is probably the first useful thing I have learned from doing myself on my car! It's step one to my becoming a knowledgeable 'car guy'...

_
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

A blackwing lid is the best IMO. Mine seals perfectly with no problems.

As far as getting the MAF out of the baffles form the original I just used a flat head screwdriver and slipped it between them on the bottom side and mine popped right out no problem.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Thumbs up

So sounds like the metal baffle in the hood is primarily for rain, while the plastic baffle behind the air lid is primarily for noise reduction.

Remove the one behind the lid but leave the one in the hood, got it.

And don't de-screen the MAF.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

if you can get a blackwing, if not that just get a standard SLP lid

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I got the baffles out of my hood, and no problems so far. Don't intend on any heavy rain driving if I can help it. I was debating on some quick fixes.... Possible cutting some sponges to size to attach to the hood grills, or just cover them up completely....?

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    As far as getting the MAF out of the baffles form the original I just used a flat head screwdriver and slipped it between them on the bottom side and mine popped right out no problem.
    I tried that. I'll chalk it up to tool ineptitude and car rookiness, I guess

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I tried that. I'll chalk it up to tool ineptitude and car rookiness, I guess
    I wasn't going to say anything about car rookiness LOL.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Two other things about the SLP lid. If you get a new lid it does come with quite a bit of foam tape to help seal the lid and it will make it very tough to get clamped the first time or two.

Also, although it is noted in the instructions it is very important to preheat the new lid where it connects to the MAF with either an actual heat gun or the biggest watt hair dryer you can get your hands on. This lid fits very tight to the MAF and if you aren't careful you can easily damage the MAF while trying to cram the lid on to it. More heat to the lid side of the connection is the answer!

Good luck!

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Two other things about the SLP lid. If you get a new lid it does come with quite a bit of foam tape to help seal the lid and it will make it very tough to get clamped the first time or two.

Also, although it is noted in the instructions it is very important to preheat the new lid where it connects to the MAF with either an actual heat gun or the biggest watt hair dryer you can get your hands on. This lid fits very tight to the MAF and if you aren't careful you can easily damage the MAF while trying to cram the lid on to it. More heat to the lid side of the connection is the answer!

Good luck!
    Anyone know if the Blackwing lid needs this same foam tape sealer as the new SLP lids do?

I bought a SLP blackwing lid but with no coupler or boot persay, any one know where to find one? lol i wanna use this lid soo bad tooo

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch094 View Post
    I bought a SLP blackwing lid but with no coupler or boot persay, any one know where to find one? lol i wanna use this lid soo bad tooo
    not sure but if you find the oval clamp i need one

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    not sure but if you find the oval clamp i need one
    It's only oval because that's the shape it takes once it's tightened up. Just get the appropriate size/length clamp.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast T/A View Post
    alright that helps. one more thing, what is the breather filter for that i keep seeing when looking at lids?

if you have the years 2000-2002, youll need that "breather" filter to hook up to the A.I.R. hose, because certain lids dont come with the extension for the A.I.R hose and or the lid doesnt have a hole on the side...the slp airlid that sandman has in his car, does have the hose extensions needed to hook up to the A.I.R. hose to the air intake lid, but you can plug the hole on the lid and attach one of those breather filters to the A.I.R. hose...me personally i plugged the hole on my air lid and attached the breather filter to my A.I.R. hose, because i just dont like the fact that theres a pump sucking air out of my air intake, even if it is only for a few minutes after start up....

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    Isn't there a panel or a 'block' of some kind in the WS6 hood that keeps the rain out? (because I can't see straight thru to the hood nostrils when I look at the hood from underneath).

Otherwise the air filter would get soaked if only the plastic baffle behind the lid stopped rain.
    i "debaffled" my hood and sealed the opening with the JAAM ram air kit, and i even have the slp air induction kit combined with that, ive had it in for a while, and no problems with rain even touching the filter...i do live in so. cal. though, it barely rains haha...but ive spayed the shit out of the "nostrils" with a hose and theres still barely any water...

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    So sounds like the metal baffle in the hood is primarily for rain, while the plastic baffle behind the air lid is primarily for noise reduction.

Remove the one behind the lid but leave the one in the hood, got it.

And don't de-screen the MAF.

no no! other way around, haha...take out the plastic crap behind the stock lid, remove the baffles from the hood...and yes, do NOT de-screen the maf! i personally got the slp maf with my air lid, just cause they fit better (easier to take off if needed) and have a larger diameter...i havent had any problems with the slp maf at all, but alot of guys will say negative things about it, witch are most likely true, but imo if you have the money to throw around, just get one and keep the stock maf around just in case ;P

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just get a SLP lid and be done with it. I would also recomend getting a new IAT sensor. When I tried to remove mine IT DIDNT COME OUT!! I was afraid I would break it, then I couldnt use the lid or the factory air box. Went to the Pontiac dealer and got one for like $5 with new seals and everything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information