Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Air intake, im deabting and need input.

This is a discussion on Air intake, im deabting and need input. within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by ftb28 ok so heres the deal, i have a 98 formula and i was wondering if it ...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Conrad Mt.
    Posts
    143

    artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    ok so heres the deal, i have a 98 formula and i was wondering if it was better the get the fully functional ram air hood with its intake, or just get the slp intake instead? or does it even really matter? this is the hood i was thinking about getting..
    http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/28003-sc.html

    but im confused as what air intake it will fit, will it only fit that 1 that goes with it? or can i mix and match?

    thanks
    I have the Suncoast WS6 style hood and ram air box. You won't feel much of an increase in hp from the ram air, but with it sealed to hood, you have a good cold air intake, and cold air is better.

  2. #22
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    im confused? so your saying that the hood works with a cold air intake that isnt exactly meant for that hood?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    The hood is definitely much more of an appearance mod. There are MUCH easier and cheaper ways to get that 10 hp from the raim air hood.

    Just go with a SLP air lid and do the free ram air mod and call it a day. I actually have a Fast Toys Ram Air setup on my car, and I didn't notice a diff with it, so I can't say it's worth the $200 retail.

    IMO there's really not a whole lot to be gained on these cars as far as the intakes go, once you add the lid, it's really a straight shot into the MAF then TB. There not like alot of other cars that have a bunch of tubing for the air to flow through first.

    And it's not like these are hondas or whatever where the only mod most people do is a CAI then think they have a racecar.

    For what that hood would cost you after paint, you could do long tube headers and gain close to 30rwhp.

  4. #24
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    alright ya im not real big on appearance anyways, i mean it would be nice to get the new hood eventually down the road for cosmetic reasons, but is SLP the best replacement box for that?

  5. #25
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    i see i see haha ya i havent even raced anyone yet just cause ive been way to busy with school and shit, but one of my real good friends has a 06 sti with like 350-375rwhp not sure i know its in there somewhere but its pretty damn quick. and i dont wanna get embarrassed so i figured i would mod mine a little more before i decided to race him.
    I just finished painting some carbon fiber widebody fenders for my friends Evolution. Dieing to drive it bit he broke the cv's last weekend it's pushing 550 to the wheels. I also got do drive a Supra I painted he hadn't had it dumped since the new built motor but the old one that blew up was pushing 647rwhp so I would have loved to see what it was at now. I could feel it just pulling it around. It had a single 4 inch pipe
    from the headers to the muffler. Sounded deep not ricey.

  6. #26
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I just finished painting some carbon fiber widebody fenders for my friends Evolution. Dieing to drive it bit he broke the cv's last weekend it's pushing 550 to the wheels. I also got do drive a Supra I painted he hadn't had it dumped since the new built motor but the old one that blew up was pushing 647rwhp so I would have loved to see what it was at now. I could feel it just pulling it around. It had a single 4 inch pipe
    from the headers to the muffler. Sounded deep not ricey.
    i love evo's what year was it? and ya another on of my friends had a supra idk if it was a twin turbo i think it was single but ya it was insane fast like scary fast... lol fun to ride in though. friend with the sti called me today saying that he went to cobb tuning and had to get a new catback something about the weldings inside the muffler broke and pieces were rattling around and it was out of warranty so he bitched to them and they said they would give him a free pro tune so now his cars suppose to be pushing 400horses to the wheels and 450ftlbs of tq.. so i cant wait to get back and ride in that mofo.

  7. #27
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    i love evo's what year was it? and ya another on of my friends had a supra idk if it was a twin turbo i think it was single but ya it was insane fast like scary fast... lol fun to ride in though. friend with the sti called me today saying that he went to cobb tuning and had to get a new catback something about the weldings inside the muffler broke and pieces were rattling around and it was out of warranty so he bitched to them and they said they would give him a free pro tune so now his cars suppose to be pushing 400horses to the wheels and 450ftlbs of tq.. so i cant wait to get back and ride in that mofo.
    Think it was a 03 EVO he said it was the only year they sold them in lightning yellow. Has a carbon hood and lip kit but the fenders broke up the look so we painted them yellow and just left the vent where the sidemarker is carbonfiber so it still fits with the car. The Supra at my shop was a single turbo coversion.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  8. #28
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    ya the 03's are the evo 8 the first year they made them in the US. is painting and all of that good stuff difficult? or is it just more time consuming?

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Conrad Mt.
    Posts
    143

    artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    im confused? so your saying that the hood works with a cold air intake that isnt exactly meant for that hood?
    The hood seals to the air filter when it is closed, only allowing air in from the nostrils of the hood. So the air for the intake comes from outside of the car, hence cold air intake. Hope this makes more sense.

  10. #30
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    ya the 03's are the evo 8 the first year they made them in the US. is painting and all of that good stuff difficult? or is it just more time consuming?
    Hard to answer, little of both. Gotta get the prep work right or the paint will never be right,MAACO's biggest flaw is very poor prep I know I worked at on for 2 weeks and quit. The the actual paint is easy to lay in black and normal color silver and dk grey mettalics are a little harder you can tiger stripe a car if you don't have a smooth motion with the gun and finally are 3 stage paints where you have to lay it right or you'll have more color in some spots than others. Last is the clear which is tricky you have to lay it wet enough to get it slick without runs and too light and it looks dry and dull and if you use the wring temp activater you it may dry faster than you want and leave that orange peel. Final step is wet sand it flat with 1500 or 2000 depending on how nice it layed down the buff it back to a mirror finish without burning edges from useing to much pressure or too high speed. A rotary buffet and wet sanding can make even factory paint look amazing or you can destroy it if you don't know what your doing.

  11. #31
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Hard to answer, little of both. Gotta get the prep work right or the paint will never be right,MAACO's biggest flaw is very poor prep I know I worked at on for 2 weeks and quit. The the actual paint is easy to lay in black and normal color silver and dk grey mettalics are a little harder you can tiger stripe a car if you don't have a smooth motion with the gun and finally are 3 stage paints where you have to lay it right or you'll have more color in some spots than others. Last is the clear which is tricky you have to lay it wet enough to get it slick without runs and too light and it looks dry and dull and if you use the wring temp activater you it may dry faster than you want and leave that orange peel. Final step is wet sand it flat with 1500 or 2000 depending on how nice it layed down the buff it back to a mirror finish without burning edges from useing to much pressure or too high speed. A rotary buffet and wet sanding can make even factory paint look amazing or you can destroy it if you don't know what your doing.
    ahhh i see, man i would love to try that but it seems difficult if youve never done it before my friends dad owns a body work shop and he's got all of that stuff and ive always wondered how difficult it is bc his dad doesnt seem like the smartest dude in the world lol if you get my jist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    The hood seals to the air filter when it is closed, only allowing air in from the nostrils of the hood. So the air for the intake comes from outside of the car, hence cold air intake. Hope this makes more sense.
    yes thank you very much, did you get your hood off of a website? if so could you post that link i want to see what it looks like. thanks

  12. #32
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    or would that hood that i was looking at work?

  13. #33
    HEHEHEHEHE Dabom75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    316

    Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

    As far as what lid to get most say

    a lid is a lid is a lid.


    But IMHO a blackwing lid (costs a lot) is the best fitting lid out there for our cars.

  14. #34
    Member BrntWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Land of the FOID
    Posts
    330

    SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

    ^^ +1....I wouldn't call it opinion but fact, OEM quality or better. Only problem is finding one.

  15. #35
    HEHEHEHEHE Dabom75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    316

    Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

    I got mine from another member on 35thLE.com.

    He had installed a new TB intake combo that was 102mm. SO he was not using the lid and gave me one awesome deal on it.

  16. #36
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    As far as what lid to get most say

    a lid is a lid is a lid.


    But IMHO a blackwing lid (costs a lot) is the best fitting lid out there for our cars.
    alrighty ill see if i can find one of those thanks.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    alrighty ill see if i can find one of those thanks.
    theres a couple on ebay right now, but you looking from anywhere of 200 bucks to 500 easily. i would say get an SLP one, the 2nd gen kind. anywehre from 50 to 100 bucks.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Conrad Mt.
    Posts
    143

    artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    yes thank you very much, did you get your hood off of a website? if so could you post that link i want to see what it looks like. thanks[/QUOTE]

    The hood you are interested in has the air induction kit available for it.
    http://cincyperformancestore.com/sc-28003k.html

  19. #39
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    897

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    While we are on the subject of ws6 hoods, wheres the cheapest place to pick one up now a days?

  20. #40
    Junior Member ftb28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DF Dub
    Age
    28
    Posts
    81

    silver
    98 firebird formula

    Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    While we are on the subject of ws6 hoods, wheres the cheapest place to pick one up now a days?
    im sure there is some pretty cheap ones on ebay, or if you want to deal with people on craigslist try that..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need input on cat...
    By 20ws6speed01 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
  2. input shaft input
    By Ramairgod84 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
  3. Any Input??
    By thugtilidie18 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 11:04 PM
  4. HELP!Straight Pipe Need input also factory cold air intake
    By hmorris7000 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM
  5. I need your input.
    By 2001somws6 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 05:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •