Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

silver
    98 firebird formula

Air intake, im deabting and need input.

ok so heres the deal, i have a 98 formula and i was wondering if it was better the get the fully functional ram air hood with its intake, or just get the slp intake instead? or does it even really matter? this is the hood i was thinking about getting..
    http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/28003-sc.html

but im confused as what air intake it will fit, will it only fit that 1 that goes with it? or can i mix and match?

thanks
    Last edited by ftb28; 04-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.

silver
    98 firebird formula

sorry i spelt debating wrong lol my bad...

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

as far as performance, you wont feel any difference over stock, so, if you just want to improve your bird's looks, just buy whatever you think is the coolest.

if thats not that case, then there are FAR better performance mods to invest in than a hood and airbox for the cost your going pay

i'm not sure if you can mix and match with that hood.

silver
    98 firebird formula

so would the SLP setup be the best as far as performance goes? or what would be the best aftermarket product?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    ok so heres the deal, i have a 98 formula and i was wondering if it was better the get the fully functional ram air hood with its intake, or just get the slp intake instead? or does it even really matter? this is the hood i was thinking about getting..
    http://www.cincyperformancestore.com/28003-sc.html

but im confused as what air intake it will fit, will it only fit that 1 that goes with it? or can i mix and match?

thanks
    I would say go with their intake since it's made for that hood. I love that hood, but got an aftermarket WS6 since it was only $250 and cut it up to work with my Volant. I have to dsagree i notice a slight difference over the stock lid and hood on the highway from 50 rolls and especially since my car is set to shift at 6000rpm at wot.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    98 firebird formula

see i was thinking i would have to get atleast some performance out of it, bc right now i just got the normal ls1 stock engine in it and it would have to be better then the stock intake... but ya i like that hood alot i looked for forever to try and find one like that. but thanks for the input.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya the Raptor is a good looking hood buy I like the firehawks looks better than WS6's. Lines look smoother and cleaner with the hawk hood. If you want a cheap WS6 aftermarket go to www.certifit.com they sell aftermarket parts for all makes and models, it where I get the parts for the cars that come in my shop.

silver
    98 firebird formula

ya i like the hawk look better to looks more aerodynamic n such lol, but sweet man thanks for the info.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My friend has a yellow WS6 and his hood only lines up a little better than mine. Most 98 and 99's I've seen that are dark colors have been out in the sun seem to look more warped than his so I have to wonder if even the factory fiberglass hood get stressed from the strut pressure.

silver
    98 firebird formula

huh idk either that or maybe it being a darker color heats it up in the sun along with the engine heat... but idk that much about it, just an observation.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I like buying used cars when I can get a deal little paint and sometimes a tune up and good to sell.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    My friend has a yellow WS6 and his hood only lines up a little better than mine. Most 98 and 99's I've seen that are dark colors have been out in the sun seem to look more warped than his so I have to wonder if even the factory fiberglass hood get stressed from the strut pressure.
    at least black/NBM color dont show the gaps though! we have to worry about them, you especially. i have an aftermarket WS6 hood i believe, its fine, but at the places where the strut/shock braces are molded onto the bottom, you can see the outlined disconformity on the top if you look at it from a perfect angle,

silver
    98 firebird formula

I like buying used cars when I can get a deal little paint and sometimes a tune up and good to sell.
    yes that would be idealy what i would want to do, but i have 0 experience in that.. maybe when i get a little older thatll be a hobby.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I started just after the 1st fast and furious selling civics and other cheap imports.

silver
    98 firebird formula

you make pretty good money doing that?

1998 Trans Am

I started just after the 1st fast and furious selling civics and other cheap imports.
    being in houston i'm sure thats still a pretty big market today huh? i found the farther south in texas i go the worse the rice gets

silver
    98 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    being in houston i'm sure thats still a pretty big market today huh? i found the farther south in texas i go the worse the rice gets
    i dont have anything against mexicans or what not, but the reason for that is your getting closer to the border lol.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Now I buy anything that's a good deal. Leaning more toward cameys and family cars are a good turn around along with 5.0's if you get them for the right price. I have a lx 5.0 vert coming from fl this week. Little work and I may keep it for a shop show var at the mustang meets since it's a little off showing up in a TA although I love smoking kids with 07 and up GT's with bolt ons and show them a 12 year old car still has some balls. I can run with the Termi cobra's as long as there not too modded but one the cam and stall go in I should be good, if not there's always a little spot in the spare tire well to hide a small bottle for a extra 100 hp or so just incase.

silver
    98 firebird formula

i see i see haha ya i havent even raced anyone yet just cause ive been way to busy with school and shit, but one of my real good friends has a 06 sti with like 350-375rwhp not sure i know its in there somewhere but its pretty damn quick. and i dont wanna get embarrassed so i figured i would mod mine a little more before i decided to race him.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ftb28 View Post
    i see i see haha ya i havent even raced anyone yet just cause ive been way to busy with school and shit, but one of my real good friends has a 06 sti with like 350-375rwhp not sure i know its in there somewhere but its pretty damn quick. and i dont wanna get embarrassed so i figured i would mod mine a little more before i decided to race him.
    you'll need much more than an airlid

Thread Information