Not a Junior Member

Black
    98 Trans Am M6

aftermarket hood fitting

So I have a 98 TA with a WS9 hood (ram air hood with heat extractors for those who dont know). When I bought the car, the previous owner said that it didn't fit 100% correctly, and said a lot of aftermarket hoods don't fit correctly, and I couldn't find any problems with it so I paid it no mind.

After owning the car for a little while, I noticed that the way the hood is off sometimes interferes with my passenger side headlight from opening up. Oddly enough, it rarely happened when I first got it but seems to happen more often as of late.

Is this a problem with the hood itself, or just the way it was put on there? Could it be realigned in a way that it won't interfere with my headlights?

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I bought a six port heat extractor hood for my 2000 Camaro Z28. The hood is not a perfect fit and a had to go from the slp lid to the 57 Series FIPK induction filter because the hood would not close with the slp lid on the car. Pain in the ass. The thing about it is when I bought the hood, it was suppose to be a direct fit. I had to do a lot of mod's on the hood just to get it to close. I also have the after market head lights with the black back round. Seams like the hood sits a little higher than it should. After a while it will grow on you.

2000 Trans Am

i bought mine from www.ramairhood.com prepainted and mine fit like a dream on my 2000 trans am..just depends where you get it from i guess

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

i have the ws9 too... when it was fitted at vfn, it didnt fit perfectly. it took them close to 3 hours for it to fit ok and then the pass headlight started to rub. when i took it to paint, my cousin had fitted it perfectly. im sure he had to move my headlight around, because he didnt sand down the edge drastically or anything to make it fit. you cant change the shape of the hood, well ill say you shouldnt change the shape...

mine looks awesome

silver
    1999 camaro

After market Ram Air Hood?

I have a after market Ram Air Hood on my car. It did not come with the mesh. Where could I get mesh for the hood or what could I use? I have the same hood as the trans am WS6.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Fitting a hood can take hours and it might also require some slight sanding to get the fitment around corners and lights and stuff to work out. It will work it will just take more time and patience.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

do you have subframe connectors by chance. shit, my hood and trunk lid is getting out of alignment from the torque twisting the chassis around. wow...i just sounded like Vin Diesel.....

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Distant Zen View Post
    So I have a 98 TA with a WS9 hood (ram air hood with heat extractors for those who dont know). When I bought the car, the previous owner said that it didn't fit 100% correctly, and said a lot of aftermarket hoods don't fit correctly, and I couldn't find any problems with it so I paid it no mind.

After owning the car for a little while, I noticed that the way the hood is off sometimes interferes with my passenger side headlight from opening up. Oddly enough, it rarely happened when I first got it but seems to happen more often as of late.

Is this a problem with the hood itself, or just the way it was put on there? Could it be realigned in a way that it won't interfere with my headlights?
    I bought my hood from ramairhoods.com as well and had issues with it fitting; the headlight would hit the hood as well. You might have to take your hinges off and oval them out some so you have room to adjust the hood forward and back to give you the fit you need. Also take off the hood latch when you first install the hood...any tiny bit off on the latch and it will tweek the hood a little and you won't have the "true fit" you need. There are also rubber bump stops on the edges, try raising them up some...that might just give the headlight enough clearance to get by.

Black
    1998 Formula

I see we all have the same problems with the headlights. I just moved my headlights up a little by loosening the bolts and moving them forward. It left a little bit of a bigger gap but the headlights have opened with no problem as of late. I have had the hood installed for about 2 weeks.

Not a Junior Member

Black
    98 Trans Am M6

thanks for the input everyone!

Thread Information