black
    2000 trans am slp edition

Advice on a performance chip for 00 trans am v8

hello. i am interested in getting a computer "plug and play" for my trans am, but don't know what brands to consider; or where to start. can someone give me a clue on what brand to buy, or where to purchase from. I'm within the 200-400 price range. thanks
    adam

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Get a mail order tune from Frost. $150. Money well spent.

www.tunedbyfrost.com
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what are your current mods, what are your mod plans, and what time frame are you looking at? I agree that a frost mail order tune is your best option but you want to maximize that as much as possible. Don't get a tune now if you know you're doing headers over the winter or something like that. Wait until you get the mods done then get the tune.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree. Those programmers have been known to do more damage than good for our vehicles. As Orion stated, if you plan on doing any mods soon, wait until after to get a tune. If you do major mods - ie. heads, cam, ect. - a dyno tune would be best from a reputable shop. If you do bolt ons, or plan to stay stock for a while, Frost is the way to go.

black

how does frost work? someone else recommended them to me but idk how it works lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Frost tune = Yes......Best bank for the buck.

Best to do right after headers

You can mail him your pcm on Monday and have it back by Fri/Sat the same week.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Just go check out his site that I posted about in my first reply. All the info on what he does is there. You have to ship him your PCM. He does things like firming up shift points and actual tuning so that you can make more power. He can also delete EGR, A.I.R. system, rear O2's, recalibrate speedo for different rear gears or tire/wheel setups, etc.

black

Yeah, i see his website.. But id have to be without the car for a couple days which wouldn't work.. Whats the best programmer that i can buy to toy with the computer.. Like one of those comps that plug in under the steering wheel?

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I'm in the same boat. I want a hand held tuner for the little things. I want one that can read the fuel trims so I can fix my car. I don't want to send my pcm everytime I upgrade something.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Don't waste your money on any of the handheld tuners. I've seen firsthand the damage they can do from their so called "performance tunes". I'm sure you don't have the time or money to replace the engine. If you are determined to get something to tune the car yourself, go with HPTuners. It's not cheap, but it's the best and most reliable tuning software. EFILive is another program you could check out. Even buying a pretuned PCM from Frost would be a better choice, as you'd have no downtime.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

My two cents worth is to either buy a used pre-programmed PCM from Frost or find a way to do without your vehicle for a few days. Somehow you did without it before you bought it. Sometimes you have to give a little to get the best. You could very well screw a lot of settings up if you aren't completely educated on what is required for your vehicle and what parameters are required. I feel it's a smart move to have two unless you're going full boat and need to Dyno tune.
    The advice of doing it after header install is on the money. I jumped the gun and had sent my PCM twice to Frost and then put on headers which required a third trip.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Get a Frost tune. It really is a very quick turn-around, it will be done right, and you'll be amazed at the results.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

black

ok thanks a lot guys.. i think ill buy a pre programmed pcm. also, i don't have the ws6/ram air pkg in my car, and really want the ws6 hood. any place or private seller anyone knows of for under $400?

black

& I'm completely dumb when it comes to mechanical stuff. what should i buy from them thats pre programmed

Navy Blue Metallic

Call or email Frost. He'll ask what you have on it, like bolt ons and any other engine/tranny mods. He'll then recommend what he thinks is right for you.

As far as the hood goes an OEM WS6 hood you won't see under $800, more around $1200.

Aftermarket you're looking about the $600-$800. Look up VFN WSQ hood. That's the one I'm getting. Looks mean as hell and better then the stock WS6 hood or the Firehawk hood.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Call or email Frost. He'll ask what you have on it, like bolt ons and any other engine/tranny mods. He'll then recommend what he thinks is right for you.

As far as the hood goes an OEM WS6 hood you won't see under $800, more around $1200.

Aftermarket you're looking about the $600-$800. Look up VFN WSQ hood. That's the one I'm getting. Looks mean as hell and better then the stock WS6 hood or the Firehawk hood.
    I recommend VFN too. I have the WSQ hood it is very nice and very very light.

Looks like this:

1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hand helds and, "toying with your PCM" could just as easily leave you stranded or with a car that does'nt run for a lot longer than waiting for a proper tune from Frost or some other Professional tuner.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. My car came with a handheld that now serves as a programmable gauge readout only. I went with HP Tuners Pro and have utilized Frost's services a couple of times. He does excellent work, is reasonably priced, and his turnaround times are fast. Highly recommended!

Thread Information