Thread: Advice

boomchke

Advice

Hey guys. Im looking to get a ws6 and I'd like to know what you guys think. Is there a difference between years? I mean I want a 98 or newer but are there some years that are better than others? Different options or engine modifications? Thanks

slowchevyz28
    ive gotta 2000 z28 m6, its a good car but the 01 and 02 models have all the bugs worked out that the 98-00 have. m6 cars are usually faster in all of my experiences , but htey doo have the problem with 2nd and 3rd gear synchrnizers going bad in the tranny. the 98-00 throttle bodie s only use 80% throttle in WOT position.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by slowchevyz28
    ive gotta 2000 z28 m6, its a good car but the 01 and 02 models have all the bugs worked out that the 98-00 have. m6 cars are usually faster in all of my experiences , but htey doo have the problem with 2nd and 3rd gear synchrnizers going bad in the tranny. the 98-00 throttle bodie s only use 80% throttle in WOT position.
    80% throttle at WOT? what kinda kids do you get your info from?

slowchevyz28
    guy on ls1tech passed the info on to me.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

we'd be running like 18 second 1/4 miles if we ran at 80%, and the computer would shift at like 4000 rpm

slowchevyz28
    well you must think, not saying that the infois 100% true but if it was then the computer reads that wot is at 80% and is designed to read that way then it would operate as normal. isnt that correct?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

it's 100% untrue. 1000s of guys run tuning and diagnostic software that reads real time data as they run and no such error has been reported. That would be a HUGE mistake to have taken place by the manufacturer and would never have gone uncorrected for two years. If you use a voltmeter and read the throttle position sensor that translates throttle position into an electrical signal for the computer I assure you that you will get the same readings on an 02 as you would a 98.

slowchevyz28
    well, u should take a look at your throttle body some time, the butterfly doesnt open to the true 100% wot. if you go and actually check as i just did 10mins ago, then you would see. if you actually grind the stop point for the throttle spring you will see that it can go back another 1/4 of an inch which in return opens the throttle plate to the true wide open throttle. the only problem that stands with this is the fact that the factory throttle cable is too long to actually pull the blade open the rest of the way. that is a fact. my buddy and i just did it to his 00 s10 w/ a ls1 swap in it. he had to fab a shorter cable.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You do realize that if you grind too much off of the bump stop the voltage reading for the computer will start screwing you over. The problem with grinding the bump stop down is much worse than a cable that's too long. Also the benefit from grinding it down is not more throttle in the computer's sense, nor does it necessarily translate to more gas, it is just a way to get a little more air.

slowchevyz28
    yet there is the point of they only open upto 80% throttle just as i said in the beginnig. wheter it helps or not is a diff story. the fact remains that the 98-00 camaros have a throttle body that only opens to 80%.

slowchevyz28
    on the fact of getting more air into the engine, you have to go back to basics, what is an engine? ding ding an air pump. the more effective you get air in and out the more power you can produce. its engine tech 101. why would you port a throtlle body or even get a new one if not for the benefit of more air?
    as for the voltage reading on the tps, it is fine. the guy works at pinkerton chevrolet, hes a mechanic as well as i am. we hooked his truck up to the tech 2 and all the reads and diagnostic info came back normal.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

nope, but this isn't our thread, so I'm leaving

slowchevyz28
    well there you have it, cant argue with the facts can you? hope our argue didnt bother you too much and hope of the input helps u to get a great ride

Thread Information