Advice on 02 Trans Am for sale

Hi all, new user here from Canada.

What do you guys think about this 2002 Trans Am WS6:

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 | used cars & trucks | City of Toronto | Kijiji

It's in Canada, seller asking roughly $8200 USD and it has 119,000 miles.

The car has a rebuilt transmission, but I don't really know what this entails and if it's a good thing or not.

Please see photos and read his description. Do you think it's a good deal, and what would you offer?

Thank you in advance!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Don't expect showroom quality with the comment "It's a driver, not a collector". My guess is some minor paint defects to go with that comment. Otherwise it looks pretty clean, the leather looks pretty amazing for the age and mileage. Flame job is pretty cool. Price is on point most likely, but you can always start low and see if they'll meet in the middle. It has the right hood, but the WS6 emblem on the back is missing, I would check the VIN or see if the door sticker is still there with RPO codes (should see WS6 in there somewhere). Google "02 trans am door code sticker" for examples. Transmission rebuild was probably due to bad shift forks or syncros, I'd pay close attention if you get to drive it as to the smoothness of your shifts and any excessive chattering. Also see if they have receipts for the work performed, and see if any warranties apply just in case. Ask for more pictures, there are none of the engine bay.
    Last edited by Y2KArcticSS; 06-15-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Don't expect showroom quality with the comment "It's a driver, not a collector". My guess is some minor paint defects to go with that comment. Otherwise it looks pretty clean, the leather looks pretty amazing for the age and mileage. Flame job is pretty cool. Price is on point most likely, but you can always start low and see if they'll meet in the middle. It has the right hood, but the WS6 emblem on the back is missing, I would check the VIN or see if the door sticker is still there with RPO codes (should see WS6 in there somewhere). Google "02 trans am door code sticker" for examples. Transmission rebuild was probably due to bad shift forks or syncros, I'd pay close attention if you get to drive it as to the smoothness of your shifts and any excessive chattering. Also see if they have receipts for the work performed, and see if any warranties apply just in case. Ask for more pictures, there are none of the engine bay.
    The wheels are correct as well. I hope wonder if the whole car was reshot when the flames were done (maybe just all around clear coat)?

It's a shame I didn't notice any underhood pix, the lower air filter housing should be the taller one. I didn't look but factory WS6 exhaust has a single "rolled" tailpipe per side.

But Arctic is right, the RPO build list is the best was to go.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Ah yes, I wasn't paying any attention to the Speedlines.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Thanks Y2KArcticSS for your feedback, much appreciated. Personally I wasn't too crazy about the flame job on the hood. I asked the seller about this, and he told me that it was air-brushed on by a previous owner, and not factory.

Good catch on the WS6 emblem missing on the back, as I just noticed that now also. I wonder what happened there, as it's unusual to be removed or fall off by itself if it's indeed a WS6. I did find some images of the door Service Parts Identification label, and saw a couple with WS6, so that's very good to know.

I also noticed the car doesn't have a power antenna. I thought this comes standard on the late model vehicles, but might that only be TAs with the CD changer deck?

I'll have to ask about the receipts and extra pics, i didn't think about that.
    Last edited by edforce1; 06-15-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    The wheels are correct as well. I hope wonder if the whole car was reshot when the flames were done (maybe just all around clear coat)?

It's a shame I didn't notice any underhood pix, the lower air filter housing should be the taller one. I didn't look but factory WS6 exhaust has a single "rolled" tailpipe per side.

But Arctic is right, the RPO build list is the best was to go.
    Thanks Whamhammer. I was thinking the same about the whole car being reshot, maybe that's why the WS6 emblem was removed. I'll ask on that and some more photos. The rear pic does show what appears to be a single chrome tailpipe, but that's a good point and something I will keep an eye for.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by edforce1 View Post
    Thanks Y2KArcticSS for your feedback, much appreciated. Personally I wasn't too crazy about the flame job on the hood. I asked the seller about this, and he told me that it was air-brushed on by a previous owner, and not factory.

Good catch on the WS6 emblem missing on the back, as I just noticed that now also. I wonder what happened there, as it's unusual to be removed or fall off by itself if it's indeed a WS6. I did find some images of the door Service Parts Identification label, and saw a couple with WS6, so that's very good to know.

I also noticed the car doesn't have a power antenna. I thought this comes standard on the late model vehicles, but might that only be TAs with the CD changer deck?

I'll have to ask about the receipts and extra pics, i didn't think about that.
    Power antennae are standard on T/A's. Probably been replaced when the old one broke.

The seller supplied me with a photo of the engine bay.

Last edited by edforce1; 06-16-2017 at 07:13 AM.

I requested a CarProof report from the Kijiji ad, and the seller sent back to me promptly. I have the VIN, but the odd thing is it doesn't mention the vehicle is a Trans Am.

Year/Make/Model: 2002 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FORMULA

I don't know if this is a issue with the reporting system, but does anyone know the best way to confirm a VIN? Should I just contact a GM dealership?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

The seller supplied me with a photo of the engine bay.

Click for full size
    Well, looks fairly stock, SLP lid is installed wrong, filter base looks like a WS6. No headers (stock exhaust manifold).

Looks like it is a 6 speed with traction control too.

I believe all Trans Ams have the code for the Formula but have a Trans Am conversion code and WS6 code should be listed as an RPO.

2002, the WS6 package was NOT available on Formula's, Trans Am only.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 06-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks a lot Whamhammer. I was a little concerned about the model name not showing Trans Am. Just now I got off the phone with a local GM dealership, and after I gave them the VIN they confirmed "2002 Firebird" as well, which I thought odd. The person said there was no mention of Trans Am, or "WS6" code anywhere. Although I am not sure if they are able to see RPO codes on their consoles, so I will have to take a look up close to check the label on the door.

Btw, what do you think about the high mileage? 119,000 miles/192,000Km - that's quite a lot. Generally speaking, how do these cars run around this range? I have no idea what sort of reliability to expect, and am a little worried if things tend to go downhill fast after this much mileage.
    Last edited by edforce1; 06-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Any vehicle that has 119,000 would make me worry a bit. Not to the extent I wouldn't buy the vehicle, but would pay exceptionally close attention to motor/tranny noises, rear-end noises, etc. With it being a LS1 car and having 119,000 it would worry me a bit more as these vehicles are mostly bought, driven hard and not taken care of. There are of course, exceptions. With that kind of mileage, and not knowing how it has or has not been taken care of, I would expect to perform some major maintenance in the not to distant future.

I always have a grim outlook on the higher mileage vehicles because I have come across VERY few that have over 100,000 that don't need at least some kind of TLC.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Thanks a lot Whamhammer. I was a little concerned about the model name not showing Trans Am. Just now I got off the phone with a local GM dealership, and after I gave them the VIN they confirmed "2002 Firebird" as well, which I thought odd. The person said there was no mention of Trans Am, or "WS6" code anywhere. Although I am not sure if they are able to see RPO codes on their consoles, so I will have to take a look up close to check the label on the door.

Btw, what do you think about the high mileage? 119,000 miles/192,000Km - that's quite a lot. Generally speaking, how do these cars run around this range? I have no idea what sort of reliability to expect, and am a little worried if things tend to go downhill fast after this much mileage.
    Some think that mileage is just breaking it in. It honestly comes down to how much of abuse it took. You can expect pinon seal leaks, well because it's a shitty 10 bolt. It being a manual taking it for a test drive will let you know how the clutch is. T56 weakness from heavy abuse will show in shift from 2-3 and 3-4. The synchros and forks are the usual culprits.

With it being a 02 you already have the LS6 intake and oil pump so that is a plus. Door panels and "chicken pox" are the only other 2 worries that might show up. Also don't worry if the window motors are slow. There's a cheap fix for those. Also another problem area in all 4th gens are the tail lights. They tend to get water in the lenses and if left inside it mars the chrome to the point the light has to be replaced or if you're willing repair (not an easy task) The quick fix is to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill 3 holes on the underside of the light position under each bulb. Since doing that I've had zero issues.

Here are some threads for you to read over that should help:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/differe...y-years-27512/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Thread Information