adding oil cooler this weekend

This is a discussion on adding oil cooler this weekend within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; pics and write up coming soon. Hayden Automotive 225 - Hayden Thermostatic Sandwich Oil Filter Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com ...

blue
    2001 trans am

A cleaner and factory appearing way of doing it (although more expensive) is to use the GM setups that were OEM equipment on the 6.0 3/4 ton truck applications.

I have one that came with a 6.0 that I purchased. The small radiator also looks much more efficient than the simple tube and fin designs you find in the aftermarket, and the lines are all crimp fittings with o-ring seals.

Just a thought.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A cleaner and factory appearing way of doing it (although more expensive) is to use the GM setups that were OEM equipment on the 6.0 3/4 ton truck applications.

I have one that came with a 6.0 that I purchased. The small radiator also looks much more efficient than the simple tube and fin designs you find in the aftermarket, and the lines are all crimp fittings with o-ring seals.

Just a thought.
    Any write-ups any where on what is needed and how to do it? I think I definitely need an oil cooler since my headers are really close to my oil pan.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Any write-ups any where on what is needed and how to do it? I think I definitely need an oil cooler since my headers are really close to my oil pan.
    Never really seen this done on a 4th gen but it should be pretty straight forward. The problem being very little room to work with but I think it could be done.

You don't need the oil filter adapter,,,the factory setups bolt the hoses directly to the side of the block just above the oil filter where the little block off plate is. The only trick would be to either see if the truck hoses will route where you want/need them to, or you would have to modify the hose by cutting the metal pipes at the block fitting, weld on flare type or crimp fittings for the hose of your choice (much like making AC lines), and run it where needed. Then it would look like GM put that cooler in there.

I haven't even bothered to look at whether my setup (as far as the hoses go) would work on our 4th gens. I installed the 6.0 in my 72 blazer and plan to use the cooler in that, just haven't gotten around to doing the cooler install (too busy with other things). On my blazer the factory 2004 lines appear they will fit just fine with plenty of wiggle room.

But since you've peaked my interest, I'll pull the lines off the wall next time I have our 4th gen on the lift and see what it looks like.

Black/ Silver

All I would need is the cooler and the cooler lines right? Or is there something else too? Is there a year of truck that would be best to go with for the cooler, I was thinking 2000ish. I found the hose off a 3500 and the cooler off a cts( couldn't find one off a truck) and the hose fitting.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.

All I would need is the cooler and the cooler lines right? Or is there something else too? Is there a year of truck that would be best to go with for the cooler, I was thinking 2000ish. I found the hose off a 3500 and the cooler off a cts( couldn't find one off a truck) and the hose fitting.
    Yep, not much to it. Mine is all from the 2004 3/4 ton silverado that the 6.0 engine was pulled from.

All there is to the cooler is the lines and the cooler itself. What's nice about all the LS engines (truck or car) is that they are made for the lines to bolt right to the block just above the oil filter, no modifying what so ever. Just bolt it on and it works.

I'm not sure if these were only used as a towing package option on the trucks or if all the 6.0 engines got the cooler but the 3/4 ton trucks with 6.0's are where to look. I doubt places like a "pick-a-part" would have anything but if you check your local LKQ which is a much larger nation wide chain, They should have what you need.

My cooler is packed in a box but I have the lines handy hanging on the wall. Hold on and I'll snap a pic.

Here are the lines. You can see where it bolts to the block (there is a gasket there) and the lines actually bend upwards and follow along the side of the block up above the oil pan rail. There is a bracket on the lines if you look closely that bolts onto one of the many holes in the side of the block to hold it still. When it gets to the balancer it kicks out and then passes through the core support.

Like I said though, this may or may not be usable on a 4th gen but could easily be modified with a longer rubber hose section. The nice part is the cooler ends just snap into the factory cooler (just like your tranmission lines on an auto) so there are no squeeze clamps or potentional leaks. Would look factory when done.

Black/ Silver

Alright cool, I think I am going to attempt this after I get my car up and running. I will have to do a write-up and take loads of pictures when I do it. I am thinking of buying the hose and removing the rubber hose from the metal ends and getting the ends crimped around a braided nylon hose for additional flexibility. Like the ones Russell Performance sells.

Alright cool, I think I am going to attempt this after I get my car up and running. I will have to do a write-up and take loads of pictures when I do it. I am thinking of buying the hose and removing the rubber hose from the metal ends and getting the ends crimped around a braided nylon hose for additional flexibility. Like the ones Russell Performance sells.
    Yep, I'm thinking to make those lines work on a 4th gen,,,,that would have to be done. Simply use the metal portion that attaches to the block since it's bent and made to conform tightly to the block all the way up to the balancer for a nice clean install,,,then cut the lines and either weld on flare fittings, or use russell compression fittings to adapt braided lines the rest of the way out to the cooler. There are a few ways to go about it.

Black/ Silver

I think I will do compression fittings unless having someone weld on a flare is cheap, I don't have the tools to do it.

I think I will do compression fittings unless having someone weld on a flare is cheap, I don't have the tools to do it.
    Any local AC shop worth their weight can weld on any type of fitting you want. Even Napa here builds hydraulic hoses, so I would imagine they might be able to do something.

But the easiest way as you mentioned are compression A/N fittings. Just have to make sure they are rated at a high enough pressure for that application. Some of them I've used from Russell were only recommended for aluminum piping.

Black/ Silver

Okay, you wouldn't happen to know the pressure would you, even at high rpms? I was thinking about getting the hoses and fittings rated at 250 psi or more, or w/e fittings and hoses they offer that can stand the highest amount without going stainless with the hose.

Anything 150psi or more would be overkill, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with overkill

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Anything 150psi or more would be overkill, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with overkill
    Certainly not! Well, thanks for the help, I may be asking more questions when I get around to doing this.

blue
    2001 trans am

so i had to scrap this project thanks to the glorious summit racing for putting a 3/8 in outlet on the adapter when its really a 1/2. so sent everything back, working on installing my electric cutout now.

Not sure what you mean but sounds like pipe threads (since most universal kits are). Pipe thread sizes don't refer to any physical dimensions. It's always bigger than what it may seem.

For instance a 1/4" NPT takes a 7/16" drill bit for a tap size,,,that's almost 1/2",,,,nothing close to the 1/4" NPT that the size might seem to indicate.

I'm assuming a bit of confusion here??

Thread Information