Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About to buy a WS6, any tips?

Hey everyone! I just joined the forums, and I know that each car has a its own quirks and things to check out, so I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me when I'm looking for a bird.

I'm pretty much only looking at the 2002 WS-6s with T-Tops, auto or manual, neither would make/break the deal, but right now I'm looking at an auto with 37k miles at a used car dealer near me. He wants almost 21,000, but I'd imagine I can get them down to at least 19, maybe less, you guys tell me.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm going to take my first look at the car in a couple of hours, so if anyone can tell me what to look for between now and then, that would be awesome.

Thanks, and you guys have a great forum, assuming I get a bird, I'll be hanging around here alot!

--Jimmy

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

my tip: go M6

Quote Originally Posted by ImportIntimidator View Post
    my tip: go M6
    Yeah I'm between the two, I've never driven a manual, although I know how. This will be my daily, and I live in Long Island, NY, and I do hit traffic on occasion, but would love to drive a manual, so I'm torn.

Are the M6s much quicker than the A4s? I read somewhere that the M6s do 0-60 in 5.1 or something, and the A4s were close to 6, like 5.9, are they really .8s slower?

I also found a 2000 WS6 M6, with less miles, somewhere in the 20s, for around the same price, do you think it would be worth it to go with a 2000 just for the M6?

Thanks!

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbro727 View Post
    Yeah I'm between the two, I've never driven a manual, although I know how. This will be my daily, and I live in Long Island, NY, and I do hit traffic on occasion, but would love to drive a manual, so I'm torn.

Are the M6s much quicker than the A4s? I read somewhere that the M6s do 0-60 in 5.1 or something, and the A4s were close to 6, like 5.9, are they really .8s slower?

I also found a 2000 WS6 M6, with less miles, somewhere in the 20s, for around the same price, do you think it would be worth it to go with a 2000 just for the M6?

Thanks!

well heres my .02, personally i'd stick with the 02. Last of the breed, LS6 intake, several other plusses (see the sticky about difference in F body years)...definately worth it i.m.o..... and as far as trannys go, personal preferance. Traffic could be a pain but idk, i guess i just love doing my own shifting. As far as speed goes, depends on mods, and with base stock the driver mod definately comes into play so its hard to go by listed times. Best option by far would to test drive and see what you like best

Quote Originally Posted by ImportIntimidator View Post
    well heres my .02, personally i'd stick with the 02. Last of the breed, LS6 intake, several other plusses (see the sticky about difference in F body years)...definately worth it i.m.o..... and as far as trannys go, personal preferance. Traffic could be a pain but idk, i guess i just love doing my own shifting. As far as speed goes, depends on mods, and with base stock the driver mod definately comes into play so its hard to go by listed times. Best option by far would to test drive and see what you like best
    Yeah that was my thoughts too, I read that thread, very informative. I'll keep looking this week and see if I can find an M6 2002. I was ready to buy a Cobalt SS S/C and deal with the stick, and would have probably loved it, because I like the idea of shifting myself, but I didn't really feel anything for the Cobalt, it was just the only new "muscle" car that I could find that wasn't a Mustang and wasn't over 30k.

Thanks for the input!

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I was ready to buy a Cobalt SS S/C, it was just the only new "muscle" car that I could find that wasn't a Mustang and wasn't over 30k.
    Haha, I don't blame you for avoiding the pony... and a cobalt isn't even close to being muscle...once you get ur T/A u'll know what muscle is

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Make sure it doesn't have the bubbling roof panel.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

21 is high my firehawk was 16.5 with 44k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

The price seems just a little high, try to get him down to 18k if you can. I test a A4 WS6 while looking for mine and I am definatley glad I chose to get an M6, there just more fun to drive.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Make sure you check the inside door sticker for the codes!

"Besides the badging, the best way to know for sure is the door sticker on the inside of the drivers side door where you'll see the code "WS6"" - from the stickied messages.

"WS7"s could be easily mistaken for a WS6. Would suck to pay that much and not get what you thought.

Run a Car Fax of course (if you can, but it's worth it!), and all the basic check-overs when trying out the car. Look at the tires too if they aren't brand new - if the rear ones are a lot less tread than the front it's probably a good sign the car has been beat up on. Have a buddy rev if while you watch the exhaust for smoke, etc. Check around the oil cap and engine for blow by from oil. If the engine bay is nice and clean, DRIVE IT moderately and then check again - could have leaks you might not have seen if they cleaned them up.

Look underneath the car as well to see if/or how rusty it is.

Whew.. there is more, but I have to go do something now and can't keep typing. Good luck!

Oh! One final thought - try out several WS6's. That way you can see how different ones feel. Don't just go with the first one you run across even if it seems perfect to you. It may feel puny when you jump in another one (that happened to me! First one I tried I thought felt good - then I went to try another and it was WICKED compared the the first - the first was sickly and ragged out but I wouldn't have known without trying others).

Awesome input everyone! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, that WS6 was already sold once I got to the dealer So I'm back looking.. if anyone knows of any for sale anywhere in Long Island, NY or within an hour or so drive from Huntington (where I am), let me know!

I want to test drive a manual, but here's my dilemna: I understand the mechanics behind a manual, but have just never gotten the oppportunity to actually drive one. My friend knows how, but doesn't currently have a car to show me on, and I don't know anyone else who knows how. Should I just hop in a bird and test drive it, and hope that I'm a natural? Any ideas would be great, because that's the only thing that has kept me from taking some M6s for a spin.

Thanks again!

Red
    2001 ws6

ya.....i live on Long island too....i got the m6 ....much more fun 2 drive, a couple weeks ago there was a blue ws6 t-tops 2001 32k miles for like.....15k

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

get the manual

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ya.....i live on Long island too....i got the m6 ....much more fun 2 drive, a couple weeks ago there was a blue ws6 t-tops 2001 32k miles for like.....15k
    Hey, glad to see someone else from LI, what part?

Red
    2001 ws6

right by mineola

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Hey, glad to see someone else from LI, what part?
    You a member of LIFBA?

I'm outta Dix Hills

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Concerning getting a M6 or Auto take these into consideration..

M6: fun factor, better for auto-x/track racing
    Auto: better in traffic, more consitent 1/4 mile times

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    right by mineola
    Oh ok awesome, I'm in Huntington, I have a friend in Roslyn Heights with an 05 goat so I'm always in the area. Are there any firebird meets anywhere on the island?

Red
    2001 ws6

ya, my cousin is in a car club that meets alot, hes the one out of dix hills, im guessin you know where williston park is then?

Black
    '98 Z28

I want to test drive a manual, but here's my dilemna: I understand the mechanics behind a manual, but have just never gotten the oppportunity to actually drive one. My friend knows how, but doesn't currently have a car to show me on, and I don't know anyone else who knows how. Should I just hop in a bird and test drive it, and hope that I'm a natural? Any ideas would be great, because that's the only thing that has kept me from taking some M6s for a spin.

Thanks again!
    I was in the same dilemma as you when I got my '98 way back when. I took my pops with me and let him drive. I was able to listen to the car. Try to hear anything out of the ordinary. Of course you won't be able to feel the clutch, but if there is a problem with the tranny, it will be obvious.

I'd say get your friend to go with you, let him drive it.

It's gonna take you a few days to get comfortable with shifting. For the most part, I just drove around my neighborhood until I was comfortable with going on the street.

Thread Information