Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About to buy a WS6, any tips?

This is a discussion on About to buy a WS6, any tips? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by tpilews I was in the same dilemma as you when I got my '98 way back when. ...

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I was in the same dilemma as you when I got my '98 way back when. I took my pops with me and let him drive. I was able to listen to the car. Try to hear anything out of the ordinary. Of course you won't be able to feel the clutch, but if there is a problem with the tranny, it will be obvious.

I'd say get your friend to go with you, let him drive it.

It's gonna take you a few days to get comfortable with shifting. For the most part, I just drove around my neighborhood until I was comfortable with going on the street.
    x2.....i didnt kno how 2 drive stick when i bought mine

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Buy mine, 02 pewter WS6 A4 vert, 36,000 miles, mint condition, tinted windows, Eibach pro-kit springs, 3200 vigilante converter, SLP lid, performance tune, best et on street tires is 13.2@105 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    Concerning getting a M6 or Auto take these into consideration..

M6: fun factor, better for auto-x/track racing
    Auto: better in traffic, more consitent 1/4 mile times
    I didn't see your posts, sorry! Nope, not a member of LIFBA -- I guess that's the LI f-body association? Assuming I get a bird, I'll definitely be joining up though! Dix Hills? So you're not too far from me -- That's a good way at looking at the two, I'm leaning towards the M6, since I feel like I spend alot of time in the car, so I want to enjoy that time as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    ya, my cousin is in a car club that meets alot, hes the one out of dix hills, im guessin you know where williston park is then?
    Yep, I definitely do, what goes on there?

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I was in the same dilemma as you when I got my '98 way back when. I took my pops with me and let him drive. I was able to listen to the car. Try to hear anything out of the ordinary. Of course you won't be able to feel the clutch, but if there is a problem with the tranny, it will be obvious.

I'd say get your friend to go with you, let him drive it.

It's gonna take you a few days to get comfortable with shifting. For the most part, I just drove around my neighborhood until I was comfortable with going on the street.
    That's a good idea, I'll have my friend drive it.. he'll be able to help me evaluate it, too, he's the one I mentioned who drives the 05 goat.. I'm sure I'll have no problem getting used to driving it

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Buy mine, 02 pewter WS6 A4 vert, 36,000 miles, mint condition, tinted windows, Eibach pro-kit springs, 3200 vigilante converter, SLP lid, performance tune, best et on street tires is 13.2@105 mph.
    Man that sounds perfect, except for the color. I was really trying to find black, or red, or maybe yellow (in which case I'd get a collector's edition) -- but thanks for the offer!

Thanks for all of the input!
    Last edited by Jimbro727; 10-17-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

Ya I live in williston park but most people have never heard of it so i tell people mineola haha.....theres actually a pontiac show this sunday if u wana come down me and my cousin are going and maybe some people from LIFBA, its 330 Old Country Road in Hicksville. Should be a good turn out, its pontiacs and buicks only allowed to enter but everyone can spectate for free. Hopefully you'll have your T/A by then!

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbro727 View Post

Man that sounds perfect, except for the color. I was really trying to find black, or red, or maybe yellow (in which case I'd get a collector's edition) -- but thanks for the offer!

Thanks for all of the input!
    Black although it looks GREAT is a PITA to keep clean on a DD car..pretty much wash every day if you want it clean... On the A4-->M6 debate its all up to you. I drove both M6 and A4 and I went with the A4 because of all the freaking red lights and traffic where I live..I thought I was gona keep it stock when I bought it so I didnt really think it would make that big of a difference...Obviously "stock" didnt last long ...Boh M6 and a Stalled A4 are fun to drive im sure you will like either one ...good luck

Ya I live in williston park but most people have never heard of it so i tell people mineola haha.....theres actually a pontiac show this sunday if u wana come down me and my cousin are going and maybe some people from LIFBA, its 330 Old Country Road in Hicksville. Should be a good turn out, its pontiacs and buicks only allowed to enter but everyone can spectate for free. Hopefully you'll have your T/A by then!
    Oh ok awesome, I'll definitely try to make it. I'll see if my friend wants to come and bring his goat. I doubt I'll have one by then, but ya never know! If the one I was looking at wasn't already sold, I'd have bought that one, but now I'm back to looking

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    Black although it looks GREAT is a PITA to keep clean on a DD car..pretty much wash every day if you want it clean... On the A4-->M6 debate its all up to you. I drove both M6 and A4 and I went with the A4 because of all the freaking red lights and traffic where I live..I thought I was gona keep it stock when I bought it so I didnt really think it would make that big of a difference...Obviously "stock" didnt last long ...Boh M6 and a Stalled A4 are fun to drive im sure you will like either one ...good luck
    Yeah it is, but I think the lighter colors are worse, no? I haven't really had much experience with other coloirs besides black..

About the A4/M6, it's a tough decision. I also have a 79 camaro, right now it has a TH-350 with a reverse manual, so it's sort of a manual, but not really.. I don't know what direction I'm taking that, but I could very well go with a manual, and then an auto for my DD, that way I can drive manual on the weekends in my fun car.. I do hit a ton of lights, and a decent amount of traffic.. such a hard choice.. I think the determining factor will end up being whatever car I find first!

Red
    2001 ws6

the m6 is more fun. if you would have looked 2 weeks ago? probably not even there was a nice 01 TA orig. owner 6 spd. 34k miles NBM bone stock mint condition for sale for only 15k....

the m6 is more fun. if you would have looked 2 weeks ago? probably not even there was a nice 01 TA orig. owner 6 spd. 34k miles NBM bone stock mint condition for sale for only 15k....
    Yes that's what I always here, honestly, if I had any experience driving a manual, I probably wouldn't even be so hesitant.. That would have been perfect! I guess it sold?

Red
    2001 ws6

ya....dont worry about not being able to drive it.....within the first day ull learn and in the long run enjoy it much more

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

FS: 99 WS6 / 6 speed / 28,000 miles!

Thats a pretty good deal there for ya.

Theres also a red one floatin around the for sale section. Check my recent posts. If i didnt already have my T/A i would buy this red one.

Go M6 too. I have an A4 and its my first sports car to not be a stick and i hate it. Deal with the traffic its not that bad if you like to drive, which i do. You have such a better feel for your car too.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My story and input is get the manual. But, I was raised driving a stick shift. Had a 400 4-speed '67 Firebird 11 years. Sold it for an AT '98 TA, sold that because I really missed shifting and now have the '00 WS6. Black btw. She's a beauty! My best time ever with my '98 AT with a 2.73 rear was a 13.65 @ 102.9 MPH, best before headers in the '00 was a 13.2x @ 107.5, now with headers best of 12.89 @ 109.9 this October.
    And yes, that first car you were looking at was 3 or 4k too high in price.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    get the manual
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

hmm alot of people say to go manual.. it always seems to be people who already know how to drive it, as in it's one of those things that once you switch, you can never go back..

anyone out there who knows how to drive a stick, but chooses to drive an auto? reasoning?

I'm still hunting.. I found a really nice black ws6 in Florida (I posted about it in another thread), but I might keep looking for something more local.. right now I'm only looking at 2002s, but if I can't find any, I might start checking out 01s..

Thanks again for all of the input, I really hope I do get a bird, because you guys are a nice and helpful bunch!

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Like I said earlier I test drove both m6 and a4 before I bought my car. I grew up with manual . My dad and granddad both had manual corvettes so I just figured when I got my T/A it would be a m6. I found one that I loved at a local dealer but when I test drove it I hit EVERY RED LIGHT and we have about 1000 of them around town. Traffic is really bad sometimes around here so I test drove an a4 not expecting much. The M6 is a lot of fun to drive because you are in total control of the car (also if you race and miss a gear its your fault) each car has its advantages. If you can deal with the traffic and dont mind a lot of shifting get the M6. BUT if you dont want to deal with all the traffic or missing gears or shifting alot get the A4. A lot of people who dont know a lot about cars will rag on you because you dont get an m6 and will assume you dont know how to drive and think your car is slow. But a stalled A4 IS FUN to drive. Get which one YOU feel confortable with. Dont let somebody telling you (A4= pussy and dont know how to drive, M6=You can DRIVE AND FAST) talk you into a car that you are not 100% sure about. They are BOTH great cars ... and sry for the rant

Quote Originally Posted by homerunhtr21 View Post
    Like I said earlier I test drove both m6 and a4 before I bought my car. I grew up with manual . My dad and granddad both had manual corvettes so I just figured when I got my T/A it would be a m6. I found one that I loved at a local dealer but when I test drove it I hit EVERY RED LIGHT and we have about 1000 of them around town. Traffic is really bad sometimes around here so I test drove an a4 not expecting much. The M6 is a lot of fun to drive because you are in total control of the car (also if you race and miss a gear its your fault) each car has its advantages. If you can deal with the traffic and dont mind a lot of shifting get the M6. BUT if you dont want to deal with all the traffic or missing gears or shifting alot get the A4. A lot of people who dont know a lot about cars will rag on you because you dont get an m6 and will assume you dont know how to drive and think your car is slow. But a stalled A4 IS FUN to drive. Get which one YOU feel confortable with. Dont let somebody telling you (A4= pussy and dont know how to drive, M6=You can DRIVE AND FAST) talk you into a car that you are not 100% sure about. They are BOTH great cars ... and sry for the rant
    Thank you! Now I feel alot better about it. I'm still going to try and learn manual, and then test drive an M6 and an A4, but I have a hunch I'll end up with the A4, because I've been paying attention to what kind of traffic I drive in, and I would be shifting alot!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    get the manual
    get the automatic!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Red
    2001 ws6

where are u communting to/from everyday

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

Interested in this bad mofo?!?! if so shoot me an email swnoble@gmail.com or PM...
    This my roommates car and I know he willing to neg on price a lil bit...

Time to find something else. Looking to sell my modded 2001 WS6.
    Im Located in Columbia, South Carolina.
    The car itself is in excellent condition with 40k on the clock w/ brand new motor.
    Mods:
    SDPC 347 w/ 1k
    Mahle Pistons -2cc dish
    Scat H beam rods
    Clevete bearings
    Speed pro rings
    LS6 crank
    ARP rod bolts
    LS2 timing chain
    LS6 ported oil pump
    LS7 lifters
    MSD wires
    Cometic head gaskets
    Comp Cam 224/230 581/591 114 LSA
    918 springs
    titanium retainers
    7.4 hardened pushrods
    LPE 62cc 243 heads
    ASP underdrive pulley
    SLP Lid
    SLP smooth below
    Fast 90/90
    Fast fuel rails
    Lucas 42lb injectors
    Walborol 255 pump
    Kooks 1 7/8" header
    TSP true duals
    Sweet thunder dumps
    Built 4L60E
    B&M deep pan
    Tranny cooler
    TCI flexplate
    Fuddle 3800 stall
    3:73 gears
    Thunder racing rear end girdle w/ stud kit
    ARP wheel studs
    UMI tubular LCAs
    UMI tubular PHB
    Weld on SFCs
    BRM torque arm
    Cross drilled/slotted rotors
    Hawk pads
    17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs

Through the unlocked converter it made 419 at the wheels. The car is also set up to run N2O, no #s as i was waiting for the motor to break in a little bit longer. $19,000 firm.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Wow, that's nice!

where are u communting to/from everyday
    4/5 days a week I drive 13 miles each way to school, about half of that is highway, usually not during rush hour, so traffic is moving. About a quarter is slightly twisty backroads (read: fun!), and the other quarter is a heavily trafficked road with lots of lights.

I work for myself doing computer repair and such, and I go to my clients, so there is no set distance for work. However, I do travel around 20-30 miles down to the south shore of long island around once a week to see a few regular clients. Depending on their appointment times, that could be during rush hour, or I could shoot down with no traffic, it depends.

That's the bulk of my daily commute.. when I typed it out and read it, I guess I do sit in alot of traffic, which is what you were asking?

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    get the automatic!
    lol

Pewter_LS1: Very nice bird. I have only been looking at 2002s until now, but I might start checking out 01s. I also was looking for something more stock, as I enjoy working on cars, and wanted to build it up myself (even though I really like how it's set up, I bet it's a ton of fun to drive). I'll definitely keep it in mind, and if I can't find EXACTLY what I want somewhere close to my house, I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information