Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree13Likes

A4 vs M6

This is a discussion on A4 vs M6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by theorangeguy I dont know why...but I love red and white WS6's "white more than any". Probably 2 ...

  1. #21
    Member Nutball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    260

    Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I dont know why...but I love red and white WS6's "white more than any". Probably 2 of my favorite colors for our cars.

    With that said, its not like your driving in Atlanta traffic over there lol im sure it can get "thick" but I'd still recommend the M6 over an auto...I think you'll be happier in the long run because at the end of the day everybody loves to dump a clutch and row through some gears every once in a while

    AND...if you ever hit the mountains, you're gonna want to control your gears...auto will limit you there. Speaking of mountains...me and a buddy will be hitting the dragons tail this weekend if you're in the area...just throwin that out there.
    Once again, It's all on preference. Dumping a clutch isn't all that. Remember the cost of a clutch every time you decide to dump it
    I can get just as much off my tires as you can with an M6. In fact, If you time it right, which I have, you can get rubber up through 3rd. And all I have done was change RP gear and a Frost tune. I've had an M6 for a few days before taking it back for my current A4. I guess me being 6'3'' I'm more comfortable with the A4
    That being said...It's all on what "you" like. There are pros and cons to both.

  2. #22
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    Once again, It's all on preference. Dumping a clutch isn't all that. Remember the cost of a clutch every time you decide to dump it
    I can get just as much off my tires as you can with an M6. In fact, If you time it right, which I have, you can get rubber up through 3rd. And all I have done was change RP gear and a Frost tune. I've had an M6 for a few days before taking it back for my current A4. I guess me being 6'3'' I'm more comfortable with the A4
    That being said...It's all on what "you" like. There are pros and cons to both.
    I dont disagree with anything you said. If my car was a drag car it would probably be an automatic but I spend more time in the twisties than anywhere else so I like having gear selection on the fly and being able to lock it into a gear and leave it there knowing that it wont shift up or down in a corner or going up/down a big hill.

    Plus I dont mind the extra MPG when I drive it to work...the bigger the difference in MPG between my car and my truck the better off I am.
    Nutball likes this.

  3. #23
    Member Nutball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    260

    Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I dont disagree with anything you said. If my car was a drag car it would probably be an automatic but I spend more time in the twisties than anywhere else so I like having gear selection on the fly and being able to lock it into a gear and leave it there knowing that it wont shift up or down in a corner or going up/down a big hill.

    Plus I dont mind the extra MPG when I drive it to work...the bigger the difference in MPG between my car and my truck the better off I am.
    Don't get me wrong, the fun factor might sway a few people. But performance wise, A4 is it. Just my humble opinion.
    Ya gotta admit it Pat, when we have these types of cars and what we do with them..the MPG isn't a factor. We just try to justify it by saying we get good mileage

  4. #24
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the fun factor might sway a few people. But performance wise, A4 is it. Just my humble opinion.
    Ya gotta admit it Pat, when we have these types of cars and what we do with them..the MPG isn't a factor. We just try to justify it by saying we get good mileage
    I view it as the best of both worlds lol if I can blow the doors off cars and get 27-28mpg I see it as a huge win...even though I rarely ever get that mileage unless I take it on a trip. Most of the time its 20-24mpg which is still WAYYYYY better than the 14-16 my truck averages
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    Once again, It's all on preference. Dumping a clutch isn't all that. Remember the cost of a clutch every time you decide to dump it .
    And, driveshafts, u-joints, rearends, and even the whimpy T56 output shaft
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-31-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    pajeff02 likes this.

  6. #26
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I view it as the best of both worlds lol if I can blow the doors off cars and get 27-28mpg I see it as a huge win...even though I rarely ever get that mileage unless I take it on a trip. Most of the time its 20-24mpg which is still WAYYYYY better than the 14-16 my truck averages
    Hmm, I got 20 city and 26 highway with my 3400 stalled auto, and that highway MPG was cruising 75 mph.

    Our 6 speed does 21 city, and has gotten 30 highway at slower speeds, but at 75 mph it drops to 27-28ish. I've never experienced all that much difference in mpg with either version......1 or 2 maybe but not enough to matter.
    Nutball likes this.

  7. #27
    Junior Member Badillac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    16

    Black
    2007 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And, driveshafts, u-joints, rearends, and even the whimpy T56 input shaft
    I used to think it was bad in the ls1 f bodies, dumping the clutch in an ls2 v is even worse. So much so that I've been told to never dump it at any rpm, even in the 2k range as you'll induce teeth rattling wheel hop and very easily shatter the diff.
    Nutball likes this.

  8. #28
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Badillac View Post
    I used to think it was bad in the ls1 f bodies, dumping the clutch in an ls2 v is even worse. So much so that I've been told to never dump it at any rpm, even in the 2k range as you'll induce teeth rattling wheel hop and very easily shatter the diff.
    Well, I would never do it when an Fbody was still sporting the original 10 bolt rear. That's just asking for trouble.

    I've installed a 12 bolt in our 6 speed to remidy that issue, as well as ditched the stock aluminum driveshaft for a steel piece. Now I don't worry about it. But the T56 is still a bit of a weak link. I don't care for the output shafts, they have been known to break with sticky tires and aggressive launches, hence the reason people go with the viper upgrade, basically a 400 turbo sized output.

  9. #29
    Junior Member Badillac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    16

    Black
    2007 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well, I would never do it when an Fbody was still sporting the original 10 bolt rear. That's just asking for trouble.

    I've installed a 12 bolt in our 6 speed to remidy that issue, as well as ditched the stock aluminum driveshaft for a steel piece. Now I don't worry about it. But the T56 is still a bit of a weak link. I don't care for the output shafts, they have been known to break with sticky tires and aggressive launches, hence the reason people go with the viper upgrade, basically a 400 turbo sized output.
    When I launched on the T/A I would rev it up to about 3k and try to find that sweet spot between dumping it and bogging it, though I bogged it more often than not. Best time I ever ran was in Steele, AL, 13.5 @ 105 on street tires with a lid and cutout. I ran all the time back home but we only have an 1/8 mile track here and it's a lot higher above sea level.

    A buddy of mine had a blue WS6 that he put a 12 bolt on with a spec 3 and 4.10 gears, along with heads, cam, longtubes, it was a beast of a machine. What I hated was that it ruined the drivability of it around town - making even a halfway aggressive shift felt like getting mule kicked in the back. I was sure something was messed up in the car but he was like "nah, that's just how it is now".
    By comparison another friend had a 2000 a4 SS that was full bolt-on with a 4200 stall that seemed like would win every single time at the drag strip. I spent a lot less time in his so I don't really have a frame of reference for an auto.

  10. #30
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Badillac View Post
    When I launched on the T/A I would rev it up to about 3k and try to find that sweet spot between dumping it and bogging it, though I bogged it more often than not. Best time I ever ran was in Steele, AL, 13.5 @ 105 on street tires with a lid and cutout. I ran all the time back home but we only have an 1/8 mile track here and it's a lot higher above sea level.

    A buddy of mine had a blue WS6 that he put a 12 bolt on with a spec 3 and 4.10 gears, along with heads, cam, longtubes, it was a beast of a machine. What I hated was that it ruined the drivability of it around town - making even a halfway aggressive shift felt like getting mule kicked in the back. I was sure something was messed up in the car but he was like "nah, that's just how it is now".
    By comparison another friend had a 2000 a4 SS that was full bolt-on with a 4200 stall that seemed like would win every single time at the drag strip. I spent a lot less time in his so I don't really have a frame of reference for an auto.
    Well, like I said in an earlier post, I liked my stalled auto better than the 6 speed we have now. We only kept the 6 speed because it has the cloth interior, but I just don't really care to drive a 6 speed T-56 car. Maybe if these T-56's weren't so damn notchy I would enjoy it. I love stick cars but I lean more towards old muncies and toploaders that shift like butter. That internal rail shifter on the T-56 sucks in my opinion, and a short throw just makes it even notchier and harder to pull/push. They take a good bit of money to mod internally to get the trans to a point I might like it more. Don't care for some of the cheap parts GM put in there.
    Nutball likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •