Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 98 WS-6 and Eibach Sportsline (issue)

I had the Sportsline springs installed on my T/A and absolutely love the car's profile now, however, there's a "vibration" or something happening when I take off from a dead stop either in a straight line, or a right turn. I haven't been able to reproduce it when turning left. I've had it back to the shop twice and they cannot find anything wrong. I called Eibach, as did the shop (twice) and they didn't have much input, other than to say maybe the diff fluid needs to be changed (it's only got 2k miles on it).

This only happens from a dead stop. It's a little hard to explain... I don't hear it so much as I feel it in the floorboard and gas pedal. When taking off from a straight line, it's almost like a small thud, perhaps even 3-5 somewhat quickly occuring thuds. From a right turn, it's usually several quickly occuring thuds.

I'm not sure "thuds" is a good description. It's almost like a slight wheelhop feel, but I'm certain it's not wheelhop.

Has anybody encountered this? Even if it's not a "problem," it's certainly annoying.

Thanks.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

Maybe rear springs arn't sitting right and they are shifting under hard accelaration???

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Could be your tranny or y-pipe hitting the floor board. Mine does it every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper
    Maybe rear springs arn't sitting right and they are shifting under hard accelaration???
    I guess that's possible, but they've checked to ensure everything is correct, twice. I got under there too, and while I'm not a tech, they look like they're seated properly.

By the way, the noise seems to be coming from the rear, although, there have been a couple times the noise seems to end up under my seat. It's not possible that with the stiffer suspension, that I'm getting some frame twist, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    Could be your tranny or y-pipe hitting the floor board. Mine does it every once in a while.
    Hmmm, that's a thought.

By the way, yesterday when I was driving with the tech to let him hear the noise again, I couldn't get it to do it. With him, or me out of the car, it would do it. So with an extra 200-250 lbs. in the passenger seat, it's not quite as bad.

Sorry for the slow flow of info... I'm just remembering some of this stuff.

What's odd, is it doesn't do it at all on left turns.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
    Hmmm, that's a thought.

By the way, yesterday when I was driving with the tech to let him hear the noise again, I couldn't get it to do it. With him, or me out of the car, it would do it. So with an extra 200-250 lbs. in the passenger seat, it's not quite as bad.

Sorry for the slow flow of info... I'm just remembering some of this stuff.

What's odd, is it doesn't do it at all on left turns.
    My car only does it everyonce in a while. Especially if you have a bad start with the clutch. I don't know just an idea to check out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG D's SS
    My car only does it everyonce in a while. Especially if you have a bad start with the clutch. I don't know just an idea to check out. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Yeah, mine is very consistent, and oddly enough, on a right turn (again, from a dead stop) that turns on an incline, it's worse. BTW: I have an automatic... not sure if it matters.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I'm fairly certain that somebody here has had the problem... well, I'm hoping!

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

If its an auto it could be the torque converter. I had the same prob with my old mustang. From a dead stop when u get on the gas it feels like a slight pause then a 'jump' into gear. If it happens while your driving..stay on the gas and hit the break, if it stops then im 99% sure its the torque converter.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Check your tranny mount and if you have an off road y-pipe that could possible be the problem. DOn't know for sure. I'm sure you can get it figured out.

Thanks for the ideas guys... keep 'em coming!

BTW: I think I mentioned it, but this issue appeared after the spring installation.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

My black TA did something similar to this after I installed my sportline springs as well, turned out the car settled a bit more than expected and the pinion angle was way off and it was the drive shaft rubbing in the tunnel. Re-set the pinion angle and was good to go. Not sayin this is your problem, but it might be something to look at! Good luck, hope you get er' fixed.--Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tonys99RamAir
    My black TA did something similar to this after I installed my sportline springs as well, turned out the car settled a bit more than expected and the pinion angle was way off and it was the drive shaft rubbing in the tunnel. Re-set the pinion angle and was good to go. Not sayin this is your problem, but it might be something to look at! Good luck, hope you get er' fixed.--Tony
    Interesting! This is similar to something the mechanic mentioned. He said that since a lot of angles have changed, perhaps there's something going on with the drive shaft.

Did you hear clunks/vibration off the line, or actual rubbing?

By the way, I'm not a techie, so please excuse my ignorance, but where is this "tunnel" you're talking about?

Thanks,

Bob

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
    Interesting! This is similar to something the mechanic mentioned. He said that since a lot of angles have changed, perhaps there's something going on with the drive shaft.

Did you hear clunks/vibration off the line, or actual rubbing?

By the way, I'm not a techie, so please excuse my ignorance, but where is this "tunnel" you're talking about?

Thanks,

Bob
    No clunks, just a rubbing sound on acceleration and a bit of vibration due tothe shaft rubbing. The tunnell I speak of.....you know how in your car there is a hump in the middle of the floor board that runs all the way down the center of you interior, your consoule sits on top of it in the front and it is visiable in the rear seat compartment. That is your drive shaft tunnel.--Tony

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

No clunks, just a rubbing sound on acceleration and a bit of vibration due tothe shaft rubbing. The tunnell I speak of.....you know how in your car there is a hump in the middle of the floor board that runs all the way down the center of you interior, your consoule sits on top of it in the front and it is visiable in the rear seat compartment. That is your drive shaft tunnel.--Tony
    You know that sounds like something my cousin had on his BMW, it was the rubber gromet thats in the driveshaft joint, but could be different, just an idea

Thanks again guys, and please keep them coming. I'm going to eventually print this thread out and hand it to the shop.

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

I have had my Sportlines on for yrs. with no problem, I have to say it's the y hitting the floor board.....
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

Life's short, drive FAST 2kbluws6's Avatar

Blue
    2000 Pontiac WS6

is it possible that the shop did not install the rear end locators that you usually have to buy seperate of the springs?? if the car is lowered and the rear end is not recentered, then it is way off to one side....especially with the sportlines. when the car is taking off, the weight could shift and push or pull the rear to the side, posing a rubbing problem with a inner wheel weight on a rear tire hitting the body or even the tire rubbing.

just my $.02
    Tim

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by screamin chicken
    I have had my Sportlines on for yrs. with no problem, I have to say it's the y hitting the floor board.....
    How could the Y pipe hit the floor? I thought there were stiff mounts that held it in place and that it moved with the body of the car seeing how the mounts are attached to the body, there should not be any give in your Y pipe, I could be wrong though. 2Kblu could be right as well, your axle could be off center and it could be your tires rubbing the rear fender wells, look at the side walls of your tires and see if it looke like they have been cut into or have strings of rubbver hanging off them. If that is the case, get an adjustable PHB and problem solved.--Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 2kbluws6
    is it possible that the shop did not install the rear end locators that you usually have to buy seperate of the springs?? if the car is lowered and the rear end is not recentered, then it is way off to one side....especially with the sportlines. when the car is taking off, the weight could shift and push or pull the rear to the side, posing a rubbing problem with a inner wheel weight on a rear tire hitting the body or even the tire rubbing.

just my $.02
    Tim
    I heard nothing of rear end locators, so my guess is they did not. Can you give me some details on what these are? Does Eibach sell them?

The noise doesn't really sound like rubbing, assuming you're talking about tire rub in the wheel well, and both sides look equally centered visually, but I'm still at a loss on this one. I'm really dreading spending additional cash bringing it to a performance shop to have them troubleshoot it, since the shop that installed the springs can't figure it out, but I may have to.

How could the Y pipe hit the floor? I thought there were stiff mounts that held it in place and that it moved with the body of the car seeing how the mounts are attached to the body, there should not be any give in your Y pipe, I could be wrong though. 2Kblu could be right as well, your axle could be off center and it could be your tires rubbing the rear fender wells, look at the side walls of your tires and see if it looke like they have been cut into or have strings of rubbver hanging off them. If that is the case, get an adjustable PHB and problem solved.--Tony
    O.K., maybe we're on to something here.

I just checked, and the rear wheels do seem a little off center. I'm talking about maybe a 1/2" max, and I don't see any evidence of rubbing, but it's not doing it all the time, so maybe it is.

When I drove with the tech in the passenger seat, who looks to be about 250 lbs., I couldn't reproduce the problem, however, we could both easily reproduce it with only one of us driving. Being that it's off the line and right turns (from a dead stop) that are doing it, does that make any sense to you?

By the way, the driver side wheel appears to be further outside and the passenger inward.

If this can get solved without me investing money in going to another shop... I want to send all you guys that helped, and dig hard/heavy rock a copy of my CD.

Thread Information