Red
    1998 Trans Am

98 Trans Am A/C problem / its hot - help!

I just bought a 1998 Trans Am a couple of weeks ago. The AC worked fine when I got it but quit on a hot day. I got a gauge and found the low pressure side to be at 25 psi so I added a can of 134a. It was then at about 40 - 45 psi and worked decent for a couple days then quit again. I went and got another can not knowing that 45 psi is getting pretty high. After I added a bit more it was at about 50 psi then the compressor quit working. After reading what pressures should be I brought it back down to 35-40psi and the compressor was working again but no cold air at all. Then today, the compressor wont even kick on. It's crazy hot here right now and its enough to make me drive my truck for the A/C. Does anyone have any ideas? I can give more specifics if it will help.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Did you check the AC fuse?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

have you been Flooring it with the A/C on?... cause that's what killed my A/C ... after I bought it...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

I have checked the A/C fuse and relay and they are both ok. I have definitely floored it with the A/C on. What did flooring it do to your A/C system? The check engine light is on so i ran the codes. It came up with "A/C cluth low voltage" but like i said the clutch was engaging the compressor up until yesterday but even when it engaged it was not cold. I The last time the compressor kicked in the pressue on the low side was around 40 psi, the fuse was good, and the relay was good. This leads me to believe that either the compressor is junk, there is a faulty switch, or the refridgerant flow is blocked. I can usually figure these A/C problems out but I am lost on this one.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Floring it with the A/C on... destroys the Compresor... I mean imagine 300tq going through the Compresor all at once...before it has a chance to disconect the clutch.... that's what killed mine...the new one makes lots of horrible noises but it works fine...and I've learned to turn off the A/C at the posibily of even floring it...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

I've never heard of that but I don't doubt you. I had a 93 Trans Am that I floored all the time with the A/C on and never had any trouble but I could have just gotten lucky. Is there any way to make sure that my compressor is bad? I would imagine I could check this by getting a gauge to check the high side pressure and this would telll me?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by frank450r View Post
    I've never heard of that but I don't doubt you. I had a 93 Trans Am that I floored all the time with the A/C on and never had any trouble but I could have just gotten lucky. Is there any way to make sure that my compressor is bad? I would imagine I could check this by getting a gauge to check the high side pressure and this would telll me?
    yeah...the Gauge would tell all

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Hey thanks a lot. I will get a gauge and check it out. What kind of pressures should I be looking for on either side?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by frank450r View Post
    Hey thanks a lot. I will get a gauge and check it out. What kind of pressures should I be looking for on either side?
    don't remember...LOL... maybe the owners manual says it

Thread Information