Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

'98 TA Ws6 - Possible buy, any areas for concern

This is a discussion on '98 TA Ws6 - Possible buy, any areas for concern within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Baluchitherium Yeah definately need to rescue that Bird! I know like mentioned some people think that a ...

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Yes Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    Yeah definately need to rescue that Bird!

I know like mentioned some people think that a WS6 doesn't mean much but,it really depends on what you personally like.

If you are comparing the stock WS6 catback to aftermarket or stock manifolds to LT headers... of course there is no comparing the amount of performance gains you get with the aftermarket stuff. But 20 years from now you compare a modded out base TA to a numbers matching all stock WS6 and everyone will choose the WS6 any day of the week.Add 10 more years to that and people will want ANY TA they can find in decent shape.

So like I said, it really depends on what YOU personally are looking for in a car.To act as if a true WS6 isn't worth more than a base TA is just personal opinion which,of course everyone has the right to.

Some people just look at performance numbers and make judgements from there on what cars are worth to them,some people look at collectability and originality (as in OE content from the factory) and some look at a little of both.. I like to look at both with a definate bias towards the factory design.

I love my Firehawk but, my choices if I were to mod it would be very subtle,maybe exhaust (not really for HP but for SOUND), wheels (would probably store the stockers)...etc...

This car being a 98' WS6 is among the more rare of the WS6 Birds... From what I remember there were less WS6 TAs and Formulas produced that year than later years (not sure about the 96'-97' LT1s).

I would tow the 98' home and flush all the fluids (including draining/cleaning fuel tank),belts,hoses,filters... replace plugs,test battery,replace T-stat,test resistance on plug wires or buy new ones...just basically a "DELUXE" tune up.

Hopefully everything works out man! Good luck!
    Do what you like but if it is not able to be reversed to stock then forget about collectors value. If you change the stock wheels, I like mine fine, KEEP them at least. Same with the stereo, dont let them hack anything and keep the original Monsoon. If you look even now at guys with supedes r fast modded rides they are not getting ANY of that money back. A new set of stock wheels wont be easier or cheaper to find down the road, especially in good condition.

I just got a Black 98 in mint condition with 30K miles on it for 10Grand and am totally happy with it, may do a few reversable mods but will always be able to make it stock again in case I want to sell it.

Case in point our family bought a new 1970 GTO off the floor in 1970 with the 455, it is stock everything and mint, it is a one owner car, had it been modded it would not be worth much...like ANY collectable.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

I have some pics to post up of the removal of the fuel tank/fuel pump and the progress of cleaning her up, claybaring the rear and passenger side and interior. Pics might suck since I took them w/ my iPhone. Will post them later. Hoping to get the car running this weekend!!!
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 07-17-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I got a bit lost

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I have some pics to post up of the removal of the fuel tank/fuel pump and the progress of cleaning her up, claybaring the rear and passenger side and interior. Pics might suck since I took them w/ my iPhone. Will post them later. Hoping to get the car running this weekend!!!
    I got a bit lost with this thread but was interested in your mentioning claybaring the interior. Is there a use for it on the plastic? I am confused but if you have some trick to share please do. I understand the use of clay bars for paint but thats it.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

She's alive!!!

I didntclaybar the interior. In retrospect I can see how that would confuse people. What I ment was I clean, vaccumed and conditioned the leather interior and plastics!

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I understand

She's alive!!!

I didntclaybar the interior. In retrospect I can see how that would confuse people. What I ment was I clean, vaccumed and conditioned the leather interior and plastics!
    I just caught the tail end and saw that you had done some detailing and whether it was on topic or not if you had some technique to offer I wanted to hear it. Obviously protecting the car like that is a good thing. There are a few minor scuffs on my plastic door panels that I dont know if they can be fixed or if I would have to buy new plastic. It would be nice if there was a way to refinish the plastic but I dont know of any. If anyone does please let me know.

With my car being in great condition and low miles I want to preserve that condition using methods such as you describe. It also has black paint and I love the color but where I park there is pollen from the trees that gets on it so it takes almost no time for that black paint to look dirty from that alone.

If there is a way to keep it clean between hand washing I would like to know.
    There is a Mr clean product out there which has a water filter that is supposed to filter out the minerals in hard water and adds a "polymer" to the rinse water to avoid spotting. I dont know but I am guessing it may be like how Jet Dry works in dishwashers. Other than using that as a between wash way to keep the car looking nice any suggestions would be welcomed.

I use Maguires gold car wash and quick detailer with a microfiber towel for general washing right now with a high grade soft mitt. I would like to have a way to do a between wash cleaning that does not involve the hand washing and drying every day or so however.

The only other thing I know of is to use the self car wash with the spray wand being careful with it.

I am also looking for a 12 volt car vacuum with a brush to keep the car clean when not around my home vacuum, most are super low power and worthless but an ok one with a brush would help the same thing for my interior if someone knows a good model. It is the minor stuff I need to do to keep things looking nice and not getting worse between the major cleanings every so often. There are probably some auto detailers or just people with black paint jobs like me that may have some advice I am hoping.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

trust me, if there was something out there that you could put on a black car to repell dust, id be all over it.

when i clean my vehicles, i usually wash, claybar, 3-stage polish and then wax. dry with microfiber towels

now, if you have some ares that are light scrapes, you can try to wetsand, cut, polish, then wax the area as long as the damage has not gone through the clearcoat.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Its the inbetween wash

The car doesnt have any damage to it, it looks like new and I wash and wax it but one of the problems is where I have to park it there is pollen from the trees that gets on it right away. For now I am just using a quick spray wash to get that stuff off bewtween washes. When summer is over it will be easier because the trees wont be dropping all the pollen and it rains a lot.

At least by using a high quality wax stuff doesnt adhere to the paint very strongly so I can rinse it off.

I just dont have the time or energy to do a full wash and wax every few days. If I have some important reason to have it look its best then I will do it for that occasion but nothing is getting damaged it just shows up more on black which I will just have to live with and keep doing what I am. I still like this color the best.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

ok, i got the A/C working, but believe that i have rod knock or lifter tap. around 1500rpm it shakes the steering column pretty good.

also, if anyone can tell me how i download pics off my iphone, i can post up pics of the car. it has cleaned up a lot better than even i had thought. i ordered a dash pad which comes in on tuesday and then the interior is complete. im going thusday to get a paint quote on the hood, and still need to get a state inspection. on friday i will be doing the title work. i already have insurance .

im stoked that this car has really come together for next to nothing!!!

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

ok here, are some pics as promised. these are during the insta of the fuel pump and just cleaning on the car in general...

btw, the grime on the hatch window was on the INSIDE only!!! the exterior was already cleaned.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

looking good. You didn't want to do the pump from the top?
    So whats in store for the TA?

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    looking good. You didn't want to do the pump from the top?
    So whats in store for the TA?
    no, i didnt. i have issues with cutting holes in things. plus i had done it before in my old '95 z28.

im strongly thinking about getting it fixed up and flipping it. on the other hand i'd love to keep it (since i had to sell my '95 TA due to being laid-off). So my plan of action is to drive it and if someone comes close to my asking price, ill part ways with it.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

UPDATE: hood is getting painted, fixed the speed sensor on the front passenger side. it passed inspection, etc. just roller 67,0xx in her. new GM dashpad is now in, and cleaned the Ws6 wheels and they are now back on the car.

sadly, because of the position i am now in, i believe i will be selling the car.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

UPDATE: hood is getting painted, fixed the speed sensor on the front passenger side. it passed inspection, etc. just roller 67,0xx in her. new GM dashpad is now in, and cleaned the Ws6 wheels and they are now back on the car.

sadly, because of the position i am now in, i believe i will be selling the car.
    Glad to see you getting her all fixed up. My dash pad is all messed up as well, how much did a new one run you?

Sucks to hear you might have to sell it, hope it all turns out good for you.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

yeah, im bummed. i was laid off, stupid economy/recession. i went to the dealership and it was $215 out the door for a brand new one. i figure, by the time you locate one, pay for shipping, and hope its in the condition its described in, getting a new one from the dealership for about $20-40 more was worth it. ask for the wholesale price. if not it will run you $286.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'll be looking into a new dash pad
    And good luck in your job search

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

got the hood back from paint. it's on the car. they did not do a great job, so some correction will be needed

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

here are some updated pics taken today, of the car with the hood painted:

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What is that sticking out of the passenger side vent?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What is that sticking out of the passenger side vent?
    I believe its an air freshener.

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I believe its an air freshener.
    you are correct

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information