Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

'98 TA Ws6 - Possible buy, any areas for concern

Short and sweet, i have come across a 1998 NBM TA Ws6, 6spd (65k) for sale at a price to good to pass up. Car is stock except for a Borla catback. The car has been sitting for 5-6 yrs outside exposed to the elements. Hood will need repainting, rest of body is straight and good. would clean up 8.5-9 out of 10. interior is solid minus the cracked dash. however the car has not been started or driven since it sat.

Any areas outside the obvious (not a running car) that i should or need to take into consideration in addition to what i have thought of? Even at the current asking price if i cant get it up and running i can part it out for more than i would be paying for it.

Also, any problems or issues with '98 model years, outside of the nornal f-body stuff?

And finally, it is a true Ws6 as i have verified it with the RPO codes. Thanks

Here are some pics:

2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

White
    1998 Trans Am

My 98 has had no issues except the usual window and headlight motor. A new top dash panel is like $150, we put one in my friends old Formula.
    If it's a good price i'd take it littlee detailing and some paint, get it running and it'll be a nice looking car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

thanks. just wodering if the pcm's in '98 really are as fickle as i have read and people have talked about. id love to find an upper dashpad for $150.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Tuning for some mods like the diff. gears is a little more trouble than the 99 and up but no big issue just a little extra time and good to go.

White
    1998 Trans Am

This place used to be conquest auto it's now autopartscheaper.com. Guess the dash' are getting rare there $214 now guess less supply of OEM left and they have the blk and gry depending on year and alot of other cool factory parts that no aftermarket sponsers here have.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

well, i have money in hand but these people need to answer the door...lol

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Ouch. Seeing that hood hurts my soul.

That'd be a nice car, don't part out a complete WS6 man. There's Only gonna be so many left

White
    1998 Trans Am

That hood is an easy fix seeing the horrible colors some people paint their cars is what kills me, and colors they put toghter and paint shome parts like the hood grills. That's sad. It's only a WS6 half the ones I see only have a door sticker, badge,and hood left anyway. The rest of the stuff that makes it a WS6 like that overpriced catback and suspension package is usually replaced with upgrades, same with alot of SS I have seen. Very few even keep the wheels, though I did see one with widened rear wheels that looked ok. Other than the blue aniversary wheels and the Chrome Firehawk wheels can't say I really like any stock bird wheels. They should have offered a staggered fitment package and I may have bought a WS6 back in the day even though my TA was a steal and even with all the bolt on's and suspension added to the original price when new it would still have been cheaper than a WS6.

black
    2001 Trans Am

I hope you ca nrescue this T/A. She needs someone who will bring her back to life and give her a new hope. We've got to do all we can to preserve what birds are left

It has a big wing!

Yeah definately need to rescue that Bird!

I know like mentioned some people think that a WS6 doesn't mean much but,it really depends on what you personally like.

If you are comparing the stock WS6 catback to aftermarket or stock manifolds to LT headers... of course there is no comparing the amount of performance gains you get with the aftermarket stuff. But 20 years from now you compare a modded out base TA to a numbers matching all stock WS6 and everyone will choose the WS6 any day of the week.Add 10 more years to that and people will want ANY TA they can find in decent shape.

So like I said, it really depends on what YOU personally are looking for in a car.To act as if a true WS6 isn't worth more than a base TA is just personal opinion which,of course everyone has the right to.

Some people just look at performance numbers and make judgements from there on what cars are worth to them,some people look at collectability and originality (as in OE content from the factory) and some look at a little of both.. I like to look at both with a definate bias towards the factory design.

I love my Firehawk but, my choices if I were to mod it would be very subtle,maybe exhaust (not really for HP but for SOUND), wheels (would probably store the stockers)...etc...

This car being a 98' WS6 is among the more rare of the WS6 Birds... From what I remember there were less WS6 TAs and Formulas produced that year than later years (not sure about the 96'-97' LT1s).

I would tow the 98' home and flush all the fluids (including draining/cleaning fuel tank),belts,hoses,filters... replace plugs,test battery,replace T-stat,test resistance on plug wires or buy new ones...just basically a "DELUXE" tune up.

Hopefully everything works out man! Good luck!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i picked up the car this evening. it will need a driverside headlight motor, dash, and the hood painted. the best news is that once i get a new battery in, siphon the old gas out, change the oil and fuel filter, the car should run. it turns over and cranks, so im already pleased i went forward with this purchase. got for even less that the guy as asking...basically, i stole this car. i paid a third of the SRV of this car in what would be considered "fair" condition according to KBB...

thanks for all the good info too guys.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Im curious to why they let it sit so long?

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Yeah, kinda interested in that myself...

Interesting story?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I was gonna ask this too

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it is a long story. just know it was for a good reason

98' trans am

B i would flush all the fluids if i were you ..including coolant, gear, trans etc

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Shady knows, but I will fill you all in this evening.

I will be addressing all the fluids Shady, I just didn't feel like typing all thatlate last night.. thanks for all the help too!

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

The car sat for this amount of time because the parents bought the car for their son while still in HS for him to drive to college as well. Apparently because he could not respect the car and appreciate what these cars can do, he could no longer afford to drive and insure the vehicle.

Their son has since gratudated college, lives nearby and intended to take the car back and address the issues to get it running again. According to his father he had 3-4 yrs to do this and never has. They were not actively selling it but said cash talks. I went over on a whim since I personally know it has sat for 14 months. He stated a price which when shared, blew my mind. I got the car for 10% less than his asking price by paying cash.

Now, the car is mine. It is my hope to get it up and running for next to nothing. Just ask Shady how well I treat my vehicles, if any of you happen to be curious. It's in good hands.

oh, and I think I need a fuel pump...

98' trans am

its true B takes good care of his cars...so i cant wait to see this bird once it is up and running and looking good.

It has a big wing!

Glad to know she has a good home now!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information