Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Trans Am

98 TA with new crate engine or 02 all original Formula

Hello,

i have two people who know I am addicted to 4th gen TA & Firebirds offer me the following. I need your help which one and why?

option 1: 98 TA, Black,auto, t-tops, grey leather and no issues/cracks/rips. The current owner has had it for the last 11 yrs. The dealer that he took the TA to for service also installed the crate engine. Body has no issue or paint concerns. no accidents. 134k on body and 50k on the engine. Owner has all receipts even for oil changes.

option 2: 02 Formula, auto, pewter with ebony leather, t-tops. Looks nice in pics but that is all the info I have to go by. 6 owners. No accidents. The guy dropped his price without much fight. That concerns me. 112k miles. All original no updates.

Let me know what you think. I have a 99 black TA now and sold a 98 TA to a forum member. But the bug has me bad!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You left out a very important factor - how much? I personally would not want any vehicle with high miles and 6 owners.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I vote for the 98 as well,you know the history and it was cared for.

6 owners is a lot unless 4 of them were holding companies and no major miles were put up in that period.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what are your plans? a stock motor is virgin canvas for mods.....meaning if you want to beef up the motor you don't have to figure out what the guy did before you.

What kind of crate motor was put in? Stock LS1 or something else like a stroker or something else?

Like Jon said price?

Also pics help a lot...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

The crate motor is an LS1. The price is $5,200 for the 98. Immaculate. Upon, further review and more pics from the 02. The 02 has a dent on the passenger side rear wheel and the dealer is not giving too much info. Dropped his price a grand to $5k without me pushing too hard at all. I did a carfax and nothing looks out of line but it smells fishy. The 98 has all the records and the owner took care of it. I am not expecting a mint car for $5k but the 98 TA is as close to that for the money.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyBird View Post
    The crate motor is an LS1. The price is $5,200 for the 98. Immaculate. Upon, further review and more pics from the 02. The 02 has a dent on the passenger side rear wheel and the dealer is not giving too much info. Dropped his price a grand to $5k without me pushing too hard at all. I did a carfax and nothing looks out of line but it smells fishy. The 98 has all the records and the owner took care of it. I am not expecting a mint car for $5k but the 98 TA is as close to that for the money.
    I would do the 98, seems like a much better deal.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks!!! Your TA looks awesome btw!!!! I have some black ws6 rims that I need to put on one of my black TA's now. Plus the windows on this 98 are tinted dark so it looks nice and sinister!!! Not that nice and sinister go together.

Navy Blue Metallic

I go with 98 also.

BTW do you know or can you get what yr the LS1 is.

I ask because after 02' you have LS6 block and rumor is after 04' All LS1's were LS6's. Not sure if true.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I go with 98 also.

BTW do you know or can you get what yr the LS1 is.

I ask because after 02' you have LS6 block and rumor is after 04' All LS1's were LS6's. Not sure if true.
    I know the part number and code and they have the receipt from when all the work was done. But I am now sure what year the ls1 motor. Can one tell from part number or upc code off of motor?

Black/ Silver

Thanks!!! Your TA looks awesome btw!!!! I have some black ws6 rims that I need to put on one of my black TA's now. Plus the windows on this 98 are tinted dark so it looks nice and sinister!!! Not that nice and sinister go together.
    Thanks! I get what you mean by nice and sinister though. With the 98 you won't have cracking door panels or bubbling sail panel which is a plus IMHO.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well, I made the decision. It was really easy once I saw the 98 in person. I drove it home 4 hours today. I have with me a folder about 2 inches thick of receipts of maintenance. I will dig a bit deeper on the year of the LS1 replacement. It looks like the original motor had some issues with piston a little more than the "slapping". Replaced by GM dealer. The owner kept even his own notes.

This is the first firebird/Trans Am that I have been in or drove that did not have the creaking, squeaking, or rattles. The paint is smooth and like a sheet of glass. Mechanically it was soo well taken care of. The owner passed away in October and his daughter said this was his fourth 4th gen Fbird/TA. This one was his fave.

I will post some pics soon. Now I have two black trans am's. One 98 and a 99. The 98 is much nicer than my 99. Oh, what mods to do?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nice. Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to the pics.

Navy Blue Metallic

Congrats..... Another 98 in the House.....

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Never buy a car that has had 6 owners in 10 years.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Congrats..... Another 98 in the House.....
    Agreed Congrats on the purchase!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

hmmm sounds like the previous owner knew what he was doing. A folder 2 inches thick is pretty cool because he has all the records but concerns me as well considering there might have been a lot of mechanical work? or are those just receipts for tune ups/oil changes/etc..

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    hmmm sounds like the previous owner knew what he was doing. A folder 2 inches thick is pretty cool because he has all the records but concerns me as well considering there might have been a lot of mechanical work? or are those just receipts for tune ups/oil changes/etc..
    Receipts for mostly routine maintenance and items that normally over time need updating. However, the exception being the new motor and that did concern me until I saw how OCD the prior owner was about the car. On several of the diagnostic reports from the dealership where he had it serviced were such comments as "customer states that he hears a noise coming from rear end". In that case rear end was replaced. I just had the car given the once over by someone with more technical that myself and the only issue found to be addressed is the front brake pads. So I am pretty stocked.

Thanks!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Receipts for mostly routine maintenance and items that normally over time need updating. However, the exception being the new motor and that did concern me until I saw how OCD the prior owner was about the car. On several of the diagnostic reports from the dealership where he had it serviced were such comments as "customer states that he hears a noise coming from rear end". In that case rear end was replaced. I just had the car given the once over by someone with more technical that myself and the only issue found to be addressed is the front brake pads. So I am pretty stocked.

Thanks!!

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Well, I made the decision. It was really easy once I saw the 98 in person. I drove it home 4 hours today. I have with me a folder about 2 inches thick of receipts of maintenance. I will dig a bit deeper on the year of the LS1 replacement. It looks like the original motor had some issues with piston a little more than the "slapping". Replaced by GM dealer. The owner kept even his own notes.

This is the first firebird/Trans Am that I have been in or drove that did not have the creaking, squeaking, or rattles. The paint is smooth and like a sheet of glass. Mechanically it was soo well taken care of. The owner passed away in October and his daughter said this was his fourth 4th gen Fbird/TA. This one was his fave.

I will post some pics soon. Now I have two black trans am's. One 98 and a 99. The 98 is much nicer than my 99. Oh, what mods to do?
    Cool,thats the one I would have bought.

Glad its as nice as described.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The 98 is a better deal to me because it's only $200 more and you know all the records and it has a fairly new motor. The other car has to many owners and miles. Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information