98 T/A engine compartment

This is a discussion on 98 T/A engine compartment within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I bought my 98 WS7 about a month ago and she's awesome. I do have a ? though. I noticed ...

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Question 98 T/A engine compartment

I bought my 98 WS7 about a month ago and she's awesome. I do have a ? though. I noticed what appears to be a vacuum port on the airbox that's not connected to anything (see first pic below). She runs great but I can't help but wonder if she'd run better with this connected. Currently, it's got what appears to be a plastic baggy or cellophane covering the inside opening before it was put into the airbox. She's got the SLP lid and CAI if that matters

close up of the airbox and the port in question

side view of the port and airbox

Also, there's some hoses and wiring that are wrapped in some sort of silver tape that just doesn't look good to me

Hoses behind the power steering pump, driver's side

Wiring in front of the oil cap, passenger side

So I guess there's more than one question Do I need to connect that vacuum port (and if yes, where do I connect it?)? Is there a better looking sheath for the tubes and wires pictured or is that really it?

Thanks for any input

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

As far as the silver tape covering the wires, that's actually factory. Mine has that too. I beleive it's heat shielding, since those are fuel lines.

If you don't like the wiring, you can always buy more plastic conduit. It comes in different colors, Pep Boys and places like that carry it, as do Summit and Jegs.

Mine also has a hose coming out of that spot on the lid, but to tell you the truth, without going out to look, I don't remember what it goes too. Might be part of the AIR system. IIRC the AIR pump is located in the lower part of the driver's side fender, below he headlight. That hose goes to that, I think.

And congrats on the Bird!
    How about some pics?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

on the 98 and 99 models it just gets plugged up, it only goes somewhere on 00-02. I have 99 and mine came with a cap for it

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Thanks for info!!!

Here's a couple pics
    They were taken with my cell phone the first day I had her. Hopefully I'll have some better ones soon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    on the 98 and 99 models it just gets plugged up, it only goes somewhere on 00-02. I have 99 and mine came with a cap for it
    He nailed it.

Someone posted a plug idea for their lid a few days ago. Here's the link: www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109080

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

That is actually where a sensor goes that measures the air pressure in your airlid (the pressure goes up goes up the faster you go). Not sure if you really need it or not, probably not. My '98 has it, but I don't think it would be a problem if it were plugged.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post
    That is actually where a sensor goes that measures the air pressure in your airlid (the pressure goes up goes up the faster you go). Not sure if you really need it or not, probably not. My '98 has it, but I don't think it would be a problem if it were plugged.
    Are you talking about the IAT sensor cause there is a place for that in the neck of the lid? What exactly do you have plugged in there?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the IAT is very important..if you like your car to idle and run good

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the port in the side of the air box is where the a.i.r. pump draws filtered air from. The 98's and 99's didn't have the filter line it so it was common for people to plug that if they got a lid for a 00+.
    The silver tape is stock as are your wires to your egr valve.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thank you orion for further enforcing it

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Actually, you can see said sensor in the pics (driver's side, Just fore of the MAF clamp)

And Said sensor would be the IAT (intake air temperature)

And you very much need it....

Please do homework before posting, so as not to lead someone in the wrong direction.

As for the O.P., That port is for the A.I.R. system on the '01-'02 models (runs to a pump in the drivers outter bumper area, "behind the turn signal")

Plug it up, as you are allowing trace amounts of UNFILTERED air into your engine...

The Silver heat shrouding on your fuel lines (as mentioned) is stock.

The E.G.R. wiring you show (Passenger side front of motor) can be tape or shrouded, but for performance sake, you may delete it.... remove the E.G.R., block off the exhuast port (I took my tube, chopsawed the bolting plate off flush, MIG welded the hole shut, ground smooth, and bolted it back in place; you can do the same for A.I.R. delete.) Use a 35mm rubber freezeplug (with tightening bolt in center) to plug the hole in the intake, and tape the wiring backout of site. This also makes for a cleaner looking engine bay, and allows you to install a "Custom Head Plate" for decoration.... I think LS1.com Member: Third_Shift|Studios Can Make You a personalized one, or there are many variations available.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

They just get capped on the 98-99 the 00-02 i think its for a pcv vent hose to connect to.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

the connector on the side of the lid is for the AIR pump. you should plug that hole since it would draw unfiltered air in. i just siliconed a body plug in to block it. and the silver tape is heat reflective tape on the fuel lines.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Most lids you buy are year specific due to the A.I.R. system differences between the 98/99's and the 2000+ as mentioned earlier. Lids purchased for a 98 or 99 won't even have that extra port. It just looks like the wrong lid was purchased, but that is a simple fix by just plugging the hole. I had to plug the hole in the right side of my Volant as well.

Thread Information