Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

93meth gas instead of 87??

This is a discussion on 93meth gas instead of 87?? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; To the OP.. No need to build or have a v8.. There are 3800's in the 8's.....

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

To the OP.. No need to build or have a v8.. There are 3800's in the 8's..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    NOPE! 3800 IS a high performance engine like it or not..
    Hey I don't know the engine specs, I was just talking about the gas in general. I bow to your superior knowledge on this engine...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Hey I don't know the engine specs, I was just talking about the gas in general. I bow to your superior knowledge on this engine...
    Aw man it aint like that.. I did'nt mean to sound like a d*ck.. I basicly just stated what's in the book on the subject.. I personally run 93 in everything except lawn mower and weed wacker And gave some other info about engine internals.. I'm no god I still make mistakes even on v6's..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2010 at 10:43 PM.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Aw man it aint like that.. I did'nt mean to sound like a d*ck.. I basicly just stated what's in the book on the subject.. I personally run 93 in everything except lawn mower and weed wacker And gave some other info about engine internals.. I'm no god I still make mistakes even on v6's..
    No worries, I didn't take it as dickish, and my response wasn't meant as dickish either. I consider this my new fact for the day, that the 4th gen v6s are of a higher caliber...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

No worries, I didn't take it as dickish, and my response wasn't meant as dickish either. I consider this my new fact for the day, that the 4th gen v6s are of a higher caliber...
    Cool! You should see a 3.6 Di dohc 660! (660 = 60*v6) I swear the LQ1 would have been the better choice in teh 4th gen v6 platform.. More hp, high reving, only ~ 5ft lbs less tq, than a 3800-II and slightly lighter.. Add that the 60* angle is a near perfect natualy balanced engine with true forged factory rods and high speed hemisperical pistons, direct race tech of the day, and completely computer designed (prototypes had over 275hp crank and the heads were made from a solid brick of aluminum) heads.. Early head castings were made with an extra fine casting media producing some of the most precise and pure castings ever made for a v6.. There was a time when Chevy only made v6's they've got it together imho.. LQ1 is ALL Chevy from start to finish..

The 3800 is a totally different beast.. Some current specs can be traced back to the Buick 350 v8 and the wildcat motors..

To the OP, the engine would likely have to be modified to run the added methanol.. I also do'nt see any advantage for it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Ok you piqued my curiosity, I've been reading about the LQ1. Sounds like it was indeed a well made v6...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Ok you piqued my curiosity, I've been reading about the LQ1. Sounds like it was indeed a well made v6...
    Check the v6 section.. I have a full write up posted called "X" and The TDC v6... It covers quite a bit about the lq1 history and how it later became the father of the northstar.. The engine always got a bad reputation for complexity, and high repair costs.. But mostly due to it not being people friendly.. The average Joe could hardly tackle changing spark plugs if @ all.. Alot of repair shops would also refuse to work on it or never had to touch one.. Few folks have the specialized tools needed to set it's timming.. Valve clearance of .01 means you better be right the first time or you've just destroyed a few of sodium filled valves. Stock LQ1 91-92 had a rev limit around the 7200 mark but could run all day @ 7k.. Known to also build hp strait through the curve and on up till they scatter too.. It was the primary reason for the 3k "free" rev limit.. With an updated obd1 and a stage III hypertech power chip gave a first gear kick out @ 7100 ish rpm.. To this very day you can bolt an LQ1 anywhere a northstar lives..hehehehe But I gotta stop I'm way out off topic here and could go on and on..

My apologies to the OP..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 01:32 AM.

87 octane is for lawn mowers not ls1 OR 3800-II....
    I thought a 3800 was a lawn mower

Quote Originally Posted by unibuga View Post
    i guess my dad dont care when i was 15 i got my 87 formula 350 with the big v8 and now im 18 and just got my ls1
    My father was cool, and growing up around cars I respected them, and he knew I'd be at least somewhat responsible. So my first car was a 56 Nomad with a high strung 327, 4-speed and 4.56 gears. Drove it daily for years to school and work. He even let me drive his 69 Goat on occasion that he bought new (it was his other baby). It just steamrolled from there

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I thought a 3800 was a lawn mower
    I never seen a mower in the 8's, nor any ls1's for that matter..
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Wp1MbNp-8[/ame]
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 09:09 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Let the googling begin..

Common Smittro, you can do the V6 crowd better than that. There are turbo Buicks going 7's on a small drag radial, and even 6's with backhalved cars.

If you haven't seen an LS motor in the 8's then you haven't seen the LSx shootouts. There are plenty much faster than that.

I'll admit I owned a couple of V6 cars, but they had turbos on em' It's the only way I would consider another V6 car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Common Smittro, you can do the V6 crowd better than that. There are turbo Buicks going 7's on a small drag radial, and even 6's with backhalved cars.

If you haven't seen an LS motor in the 8's then you haven't seen the LSx shootouts. There are plenty much faster than that.

I'll admit I owned a couple of V6 cars, but they had turbos on em' It's the only way I would consider another V6 car.
    Don't follow the buick cars persay.. Mostly just 3.8 and 3800 history and such.. 8's are plenty fast for 3800.. So what you're saying is you admit v6 cars can be as fast if not faster than an ls1 or other v8's? To this I already know that and so does the v6 crowd.. Especially anyone running a T-type.. Or twins on thier 3800..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 10:10 AM.

: So what you're saying is you admit v6 cars can be as fast if not faster than an ls1? :

Sure, if they have a turbo or some other form of power adder. You can make anything fast with a power adder

If memory serves me, there are LS motors naturally aspirated that have dipped into the 8's, SAM is doing it with many other nipping at the heels.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Sure, if they have a turbo or some other form of power adder. You can make anything fast with a power adder

If memory serves me, there are LS motors naturally aspirated that have dipped into the 8's, SAM is doing it with many other nipping at the heels.
    Power adder can be anything from a hot cam to a blowa to spools. It's always expected that a v8 car will be fast.. High powered v6's get more interest from todays crowds.. Beside the look on a v8 guys face when I pass them with a little old 3800 y87 is more priceless than any other.. Oh and I also see that a little DI 3.6l dohc 660, doing close to stock ls1 numbers on factory N/A tunning.. 2 extra cylinders no longer needed.. I can do dis all day.. For many everyday run of the mill n/a v8 there's a 660 doing it too.. To add there are also v8's that came about through v6 programs..hehehe
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Now your twisting it around, lets keep it real. You know what I mean when I say power adder

When I see VW's with turbo's running 7's anything can happen. So it doesn't matter to me how ya slice it.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It's a well known fact among the v6 crowd that 660 and 90* v6's are/were notoriosly(sp) detuned so not over shadow various v8 programs..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 10:36 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Now your twisting it around, lets keep it real. You know what I mean when I say power adder

When I see VW's with turbo's running 7's anything can happen. So it doesn't matter to me how ya slice it.
    with the 4cylinder stuff.. jk Oh I'm "keepin' it real" no sense in talking about it otherwise.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Like I said, you can put a turbo on anything and make it fast

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Like I said, you can put a turbo on anything and make it fast
    Sure can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information