Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

93meth gas instead of 87??

Can I put 93meth gas into my 98 firebird? I was wondering if there would be any change in the perfomance of my car. I just want to make sure.

I'm guessing you aren't talking about E85 right?? In which case,,,,no. Alot of changes need to be made before dumping that stuff in.

If you are talking about pump gas with 10% Ethanol mixed in,,,yes. It's getting harder to get away from nowadays. It's not that great but.....
    The EPA is now talking about raising it to 15%. If it wasn't crap enough now it's going to really suck.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

ha my bad i meant 85. but you say no to 93?

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    ha my bad i meant 85. but you say no to 93?
    I need more clearification. Is your question towards octane ratings, or the amount of ethanol in the gas??

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

And i mean i am talking about 93 octain. is the perfomance better. sorry guys just alil tired not payin attention to what im typing..

The performance is better if your engine needs it.

In the case of the LS1, it should be run on high test. I believe the manual states 91 or better. Keeps the engine out of knock and uses the higher timing tables.
    Would also be more subject to knock if you live in a hot climate.

You could run lower octane in it if you like. The computer is designed to pull timing in the event of knock. Usually poor gas mileage is a result.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

I have a V6 3800 seriers engine. Im 16yrs old not allowed to have a beast v8 yet.. i do live in a hot climate. Houston TX. And honeslty I dont understand what all exactly your saying so im sorry man...

A V6?? In that case you could pee in the tank and it would probably run Just kidding.

I'd just continue to run 87 in that one. Probably won't see anything spending the extra money.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

haha thats always nice to say about a v6. pops thinks ill kill my self ina v8. yall just wait, ina bout 4 yrs ill have my big v8! but alright i was hoping you'd say better performance buttttt its alirght.

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    haha thats always nice to say about a v6. pops thinks ill kill my self ina v8. yall just wait, ina bout 4 yrs ill have my big v8! but alright i was hoping you'd say better performance buttttt its alirght.
    Just gettin a stab in, it's all good

Pops has good reason to worry. I think being a parent turns you into a worry wart. Does me anyway. Must be all the things we did as teenagers, but you didn't hear it from me.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Higher octane is only required to prevent knocking in a higher performance engine. By itself it won't get you any more performance. However, some gas companies (notably Shell, but possibly others) do not put their quality detergents in their low octane gas. So you might get a cleaner fuel by going to a higher octane, depending on where you get your gas...

And don't feel bad about being 'limited' a v6 firebird. I woulda killed for that back when, my starter was a little red tomato of a Tercel...

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

I drive a 95 3800 v6, dont worry man, they are still hell of a lot of a car im 16 and i enjoy it with every second, On main note, I would stick with the normal cheapest gas out there for now, unless youve got engine upgrades, you wont see a differance is any

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

my old 3800 firebird's lifters tapped especially when it was cold. i had to keep 93 octane in it to prevent that.

performance wise.. you will gain .0000001 seconds in the quarter mile from switching to 87 to 93

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    my old 3800 firebird's lifters tapped especially when it was cold. i had to keep 93 octane in it to prevent that.

performance wise.. you will gain .0000001 seconds in the quarter mile from switching to 87 to 93
    how does gas help with lifter tap?

blue
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just gettin a stab in, it's all good

Pops has good reason to worry. I think being a parent turns you into a worry wart. Does me anyway. Must be all the things we did as teenagers, but you didn't hear it from me.
    i guess my dad dont care when i was 15 i got my 87 formula 350 with the big v8 and now im 18 and just got my ls1

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post

I was wondering the same thing.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A V6?? In that case you could pee in the tank and it would probably run Just kidding.

I'd just continue to run 87 in that one. Probably won't see anything spending the extra money.
    Negative! Do not run 87 octane in the 3800-II.. We require the same high standards as any ls1 does.. In fact our owners manuals specificly state "nothing lower than 89 octane should be used".. Tho it is a v6 the stereotypes don't work for us and are no more true than the next.. We ARE also considered "high performance" engines as well liek it or not.. Tho the v8 guys do not think so, but that does'nt change the fact that we are also driving performance vehicles..

The 3800 gets worse gas mileage than the ls1 cars do anytime you can run higher octane do so.. NEVER run 87 octane in your car.. 3800 is ping prone always was since before the days of the "T" type, even tho the engine has changed significantly the tendancy to ping was never designed out.. While an ls1 can run on 87 octane we can not.. If you want to run 87 octane in your car that's up to you, it will run on it.. But look for valve guide issues in your future if you do.. Just my .02, and not trying to piss anyone off..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    3800-II is a roller engine.. What you were hearing was your injectors showing signs of wear.. We are not prone to push rod problems either.. There may have also been worn rockers, or a flat spotted roller.. I do recall justin stating that his 3800 had a trillion miles on it.. Worn out motors are usually noisy.. Also I'm willing to bet there was more than once the engine was ran with too little oil.. 3800-II loves to us it during WOT, and they love to leak it too.. It happens.. Sorry justin..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-14-2010 at 06:53 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Higher octane is only required to prevent knocking in a higher performance engine. By itself it won't get you any more performance. However, some gas companies (notably Shell, but possibly others) do not put their quality detergents in their low octane gas. So you might get a cleaner fuel by going to a higher octane, depending on where you get your gas...

And don't feel bad about being 'limited' a v6 firebird. I woulda killed for that back when, my starter was a little red tomato of a Tercel...
    NOPE! 3800 IS a high performance engine like it or not..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    I drive a 95 3800 v6, dont worry man, they are still hell of a lot of a car im 16 and i enjoy it with every second, On main note, I would stick with the normal cheapest gas out there for now, unless youve got engine upgrades, you wont see a differance is any
    Negative the performance gain is in it not pinging.. 87 octane is for lawn mowers not ls1 OR 3800-II....

Thread Information