Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

93 Octane question

This is a discussion on 93 Octane question within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; used 87 once and it sucked!!! Car ran like crap and was definitely not at its highest potential. 93 from ...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

used 87 once and it sucked!!! Car ran like crap and was definitely not at its highest potential. 93 from then on out and that's what its going to be!

Admiral Biotch

Metallic Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

87 is good enough for me

Oh fuck no its not!

The guy i bought my car from said it runs unleaded, the manual said it runs that too. Oh and on the gas cap it says it only takes the unleaded. So I didnt want to hurt the car by putting 93 in. But the hell with it now!....No shitty food for my baby ever again!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Just put a sign on the iterior of your gas cap that says "This is not a civic so don't treat it like one!"

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

is 93 leaded?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    is 93 leaded?

93 is not leaded.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

What is better to run 93 with 10% ethanol or 92 without ethanol?

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson Tiger View Post
    The guy i bought my car from said it runs unleaded, the manual said it runs that too. Oh and on the gas cap it says it only takes the unleaded.
    All gas sold in the US is unleaded. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but im sure its been that way for man years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    What is better to run 93 with 10% ethanol or 92 without ethanol?
    I dont know this for a fact but i believe if anything it will run better without ethanol. Because as far as i know they werent designed with the intent of ethanol... unlike some of those new suvs that can run on just ethanol. I dont think it could harm ur car at all tho... plus its not as hard on the environment.

black
    2002 trans am

i run cheap 89 sometimes 87....
    ive never had a problem, if i want to run faster on the strip ill throw in some higher octane...

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    amen... i dont get why people would use anything less than premium... i have never had anything lower then 93 in my tank... yes it can run.. but its not good for the car at all in the long haul... idc what ANYbody says... it costs a few bucks more per tank... and you get better running/more power DO IT ASSHOLES

Well i have always ran 89 in my car without a problem, and dyno'd 318 to the wheels with it stock.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by chad3113 View Post
    Well i have always ran 89 in my car without a problem, and dyno'd 318 to the wheels with it stock.
    not bad for 89.. i was mainly joking about the whole conviction part.. bt personally i wouldnt put any less than 93 in my car

white
    2002 z28

freind of mine always ran 87 on gto ls1 ran fine but since gas in detroit is only 20 cents more for 94 oct. who cares that what you get into when buying a sports car. i think the manulal applies that min 91-2 but for 6 cents more ill do that.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I ran 87 for the first few weeks I owned the car but as soon as I found out the comp. ratio I started running 93 and have been ever since. I never noticed a differance from the 87 to 93 but for 20 cents a gallon its deff worth it. Why use anything less than the best?

white
    2002 z28

i really dont think most can tell the difference, some might, but when going to powere adders and bigger hp, its a must. i heaard using 93 on economy cars doesnt help any casue it dont burn that hot but for these cars going the oppsiste is different

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i heaard using 93 on economy cars doesnt help any casue it dont burn that hot but for these cars going the oppsiste is different
    this is true

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I have always put 91 octane Shell V-Power in my car. The other day I pulled into a 76 (wasn't my first option but better than Vallero) and I see 100 octane unleaded racing gas. Now my car is mostly stock if I ran that in my car what would happen. Would it be able to run or just cut off and die? I wanna find out before I'm tempted to put it in my friends mustang and see's what happens.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I run the standard 91 octane. I've never seen 93 for sale at any of my usual spots. Some of the guys I meet at the car show off of tower and hampden run 85 with octane booster. Cheap asses.

white
    2002 z28

please someone correct me if im wrong but do some gas stations buy reg gas then add some oct boost to there batch?? just what i heard.

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

Don't run any lower than 91. Needs 93 unless your over 5,000 ft elevation. The engine will detonate and deteriorate over time. Your slowly screwing up your rod bearings from the fuel exploding before the piston is in the correct position. The low octane fuel detonates early while the piston is on the upswing tring to force it back down while the cranks forcing it up. You may not here the knock but it's there. The LS1 has knock sensors to retard the timming for this situation but it's not good to run like this. There is a reason why the manual say's run 91 or better. Detonation, power loss and spun rod bearings.

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    please someone correct me if im wrong but do some gas stations buy reg gas then add some oct boost to there batch?? just what i heard.
    NO ! I blend gasoline @ a refinery. Stations can't blend gas. If they do it's a federal crime. There is nothing they could buy to do this that would raise octane #s.

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    I run the standard 91 octane. I've never seen 93 for sale at any of my usual spots. Some of the guys I meet at the car show off of tower and hampden run 85 with octane booster. Cheap asses.
    Please don't waste money on octane boosters. On the bottle they claim th raise up to 5 points. Read the fine print. The most octane booster will raise is point five octane. Meaning if you have 91 and you dump 2 bottles of this crap in your tank you'll end up with 91.5 octane. Most of this stuff is just naphtha. the same thing you light your BBQ pit with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information