Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WS6Fury

'79 10th Anniversary Silver Edition 400cin, 4spd... how much you think $$ ??>>

A serious and honest question for the collectors out there, and for anything anone has ever seen:

My father own since brand new picking it off the delivery trailer:
    1979 10th Anniversary Silver Edition Trans Am 400 cuin, 4spd.

This is the real Pontiac 400, not the POS 403 Olds engine that came with the automatics which aren't worth a damn.

The car has 100kmi on the od. The car is 100% original, and obviously in extremely good, clean, used condition. I know some people like to restore cars to show room condition, but I also know the new trend is to find pristine cars like this untouched and keep them as is, having more value to it and its history.

Reason I'm asking is my father's thinking on selling the car. Doesn't have time for it anymore unfortunately. I would take it from him, but I alreay have 2 cars and cannot afford another one right now... sucks!!! Was hoping this would be a family heirloom (sp?)...

Any guesses??

Black
    99 SS

$1,000

formula#492
    Have POS 403 Tenth Ann. that I'm going to restore. I know what its worth if it's a real 400/4 sp car.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Formula hardtop

in front of me i have the october 2005 old cars price guide. assuming your dad's car is a grade 3, which would be a "completely operable original or an older restoration showing wear", also a car which from 20 feet away seems to be perfect, would be worth $5,850, plus 10% for a 4-speed, plus 15% for a 10th anniversary edition. so total, that would be $7,312.50.

if it is a grade 2, being "an EXTREMELY well-maintained original showing very minimal wear", it would be $9,100, plus the 10% for 4-speed and 15% for 10th anniversary, equalling $11,375.

basically, this price guide rates grade 2 cars as VERY high condition. grade 1 cars are listed as show cars, completely restored to the highest professional standard, and not driven. basically the same condition as a "showroom" car.

from what you've described your dad's car as, being in pristine condition, you could probably get at least $10k for it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That is one sweet car! Don't let your dad sell that baby. Do whatever you have to do...sell one of your two cars if necessary. But don't let it get away!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

If he really wants to sell it, I got 10 for it right now. My wife would kill me, but it would be for her, so its cool.

1981 g-Body

I got a friend whos got a 78 bandit. He paid 23k canadian for it with 55,000kms on it. i'd say he got ripped off though

crustysarge
    Need to get it PHS documented if you really want to sell it. 10K is close, costs a lot to restore a TA/TA. Seats are $$$ to redo, around a grand just for the materials.

WS6Fury
    I hear a lot of the cars that are restored, sometimes loose value. I think I heard the trend is to find a car that is untouched, but still in excellent condition for what it is. Which is where my fathers car would land.

I was hoping he would keep it in the family, its one of a kind you rarely ever see anymore, except for the "Joe Dirt" movie of which Kid Rock was driving, but I think his was an Olds 403 block auto.

I guess if someone was really hurting to get the car "showroom" by restoring it, probably wouldn't look that much different from what it is now except for fresher paint and a new steering wheel we've been trying to find.

Car is perfectly operable, we still take it out on nice days. Was a daily driver for a while for my fathers business. Has a bit over 100k on the dial and still runs perfect to this day. Probably one of Pontiacs best engines.

WS6Fury
    Quote Originally Posted by formula#492
    Have POS 403 Tenth Ann. that I'm going to restore. I know what its worth if it's a real 400/4 sp car.....
    What would that be, and in what market or auction? It is a real untouched virgin 400/4spd you'll never see anywhere else.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

If it's as pristine as you say and he was willing to wait for the right buyer, I'd say you ask 15-17 thousand at least. You'd have to put up with a lot of bs from guys wanting to get it for cheaper though.

Black & Gold
    1977 SE TA

Its very hard to say without pictures. The range could be from $10k to $15k. I just listed a 19k mile 400/4spd TATA for a friend and it only reached $14k. Granted its not a good time to sell either, but the BIN was $19.5k. Today the cars that bring the money are nice low mileage (20k or less) "Survivor" or high level restore using NOS parts. The survivors only take the show if they are low low mileage usually. In your case a high mileage TATA will show wear in the carpet and the panels will be faded badly most of the time. A TATA had special long loop carpet and seats. Currently the repro markets don't offer the correct pile carpet, but the $1100 seat covers are very good. Just food for thought.

Black
    99 SS

i got a friend who has a 79 formula 4 speed 400, what would that be worth all fixed up?

Black & Gold
    1977 SE TA

Those are sought after with W72 hobbiest, but the following is minimal. In driver restoration condition it be high teens. A friend of mine in TX has a 20k mile 79 400/4spd formula burgandy and got no bites at $19k. Just this past summer I had the chance to buy one complete ready to restore for $2500. It was numbers matching as well.

ws4transam
    a friend of mine sold a cuple of '79 10th Anniversary t/a's his price ranges where from $15000-22500.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

A car is worth what someone will pay for it. You can't go by those books.

Black
    98 Trans Am

About six months ago, I practally GAVE away my 79 SE T/A i'd had since '80 for 500 bucks to a family member. Other than normal "wear and tear" it was still a "looker"...even with the original paint. The engine was stock other than me opening up the "shaker" hood scoop, and it was auto with one of those...<ahem>.. "POS" Olds 403. Other than me changing the timing chain and it eating water pumps and motor mounts, it never gave me problems AND it kicked the $hit out of EVERY 400 6.6 T/A I ever run...and it was quite a few! Sigh...shudda' kept it....148K original miles.

1981 g-Body

http://www.showdownmusclecars.com/inventory/C6193

This is one of the nicest cars i've ever seen.
    28,000 miles
    $28,900
    That's like a dollar a mile.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That's one nice car! Brings back memories of the one I drove back in the early '80s, when I was a teen.

Black
    04 Z71 Burb (sold) 79 T/A

As always check ebay and go over to transamcountry.com and take a look around. Some TATA's are going for big bucks if proper. I've seen very few that were in good restorable condition go for less than 8k. Post some pics if you have them.

Thread Information