black
    2001 ws6

Question 3rd gen rear end install in 4th?

Hello everyone! This is my frist time making a "real" post on this site. I do have to say this site is awesome and is full of very useful information!
    Here is my situation, i have a 2001 ws6 auto. For the past 20,000 or so miles i can hear a whine coming from the rear end of the car and i feel that its not going to last much longer. I have advailable to me a rear end out of a 89 trans am 305 (auto) that is free. Im curious, will they be compatiable? I wont have any problem ripping out the old one although if things dont fit when i put the 3rd gen rear end in, then i will have a problem lol. Just want some advise before i continue. I dont know anymore information on the rear end of the 3rd gen other than it is a 10bolt also. If it isnt worth it, then sugesstions as to where i can order one from online.(complete bolt up)
    Thanks!
    Jeff

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I got a rear with 50000 miles from these folks

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/pick_a_part?_rdc=1

Green
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

This is too funny. I just posted the same question on LSXNation a week or two ago. Got some answers from there. Most said it will fit, but it is a little shorter. Requiring wheel spacers. I have yet to try it, but I should be trying it in the next couple of weeks. I will post end results on here. Good luck.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

you will need spacers and depending on the rear, you could lose your rear ABS or TCS

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by transamjeff17 View Post
    Hello everyone! This is my frist time making a "real" post on this site. I do have to say this site is awesome and is full of very useful information!
    Here is my situation, i have a 2001 ws6 auto. For the past 20,000 or so miles i can hear a whine coming from the rear end of the car and i feel that its not going to last much longer. I have advailable to me a rear end out of a 89 trans am 305 (auto) that is free. Im curious, will they be compatiable? I wont have any problem ripping out the old one although if things dont fit when i put the 3rd gen rear end in, then i will have a problem lol. Just want some advise before i continue. I dont know anymore information on the rear end of the 3rd gen other than it is a 10bolt also. If it isnt worth it, then sugesstions as to where i can order one from online.(complete bolt up)
    Thanks!
    Jeff

dude a complete bearing kit is around $100, plus another $200 for new gears if it needs it. just rebuild the one you have! i find it's actually easier then swapping out a complete diff, especially when you gotta start modifying stuff.

Green
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

I am sorry. I forgot to mention...my 4th gen is a drum brake rearend and the 3rd gen is a disc rearend. That could be some of the problem with it being a little more narrow.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    dude a complete bearing kit is around $100, plus another $200 for new gears if it needs it. just rebuild the one you have! i find it's actually easier then swapping out a complete diff, especially when you gotta start modifying stuff.
    That is what I would do. The third gen is narrower than a 4th. Your wheels will stick out. The third gen could also have drums which would have to be switched to your brakes to work properly. If you want to upgrade a 12 bolt or 9" would be the way to go.

black
    2001 ws6

thanks everyone for the advice, guess ill start shopping for a new 12'in

Thread Information