Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

33k for a trans am...

This is a discussion on 33k for a trans am... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I didn't say I don't like them, I just don't see any collectability at all with ...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't say I don't like them, I just don't see any collectability at all with them in the future. Maybe the rare stuff like skylines and evos that you mentioned,,,,but really you don't see those around all that much now. They are pricey and few young kids can even afford them on a minimum salary. So there is a good chance they may be sought after 15 years from now,,,,that is if they ever stop production of them.
    I think thats the key,,,,to be valuable or desirable,,,that usually happens when they don't make them anymore.

Guess I should clerify the muscle cars going over seas, they are infact changing hands for 6 figure money and being shipped to Australia, France, etc...seems there are a ton of muscle car enthusiasts other than here in the USA that are willing to pay the money, and the hassle of transport/export fees just to own a piece of history.
    I believe some import tuner cars will be desirable in the future but my opinion is just like everybody elses when it comes to the future, who knows.

i used to own a 73 T/A and that is the car i regret the most that i got rid of.
    granted i gutting it, tubed and back halved it, but she would of been a sweet car to own in this day and age.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    1998 Trans Am

I honestly like the 78 TA's and love to get a 69 like the one my neighbor used to have. Camaro's are ok but I've always seen alot of them now a 69 Trans Am is a little harder to find. buy really If I was going for an older car I want a 1969 GTO Judge in Blue or Orange. I has a 72 Le Mans with the GTO package(hood, bumper, emblems.....) and it was a great car even being a 350. If my uncle wouldn't have hit 2 parked cars with it I would still have it.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thats cool. It seems there are quite a few here that have owned something classic at one point in time.

Well I witnessed a 74 SD T/A go accross the block that fetched $67K,,,Not the most desirable SD either.
    Who said second gens won't be collectable???

And that was an early auction car, got to see it in person, nice but not perfect, and still grabbed respectable money. Considering an LS6 chevelle, considered by many to be the pinacle of muscle cars went accross at $73K.
    I looked this car over as well, it was missing the correct carb, and the steering wheel horn buttons were broken and missing the SS emblem. Few other little cosmetic things on the engine that wasn't correct but the paint and body looked very nice. Not what would be representive of the cream of the crop and the price reflected that,,,,but,,,,,Overall an easy car to finish off and make correct. It was bought very well I believe and would be a great car to fix and hold for 1-2 years and get some return on your money.
    The extremely nice 2nd gens will go on the block saturday. Got a good look at 3 different 70 Z28's that were top notch and correct in every way.
    Be interesting to see what they fetch.

Also an 81 Yenko turbo Z waiting for Saturday night. It was missing the correct air cleaner but being 1 of 18 made it should grab some interest.
    I also saw an 81 turbo T/A that had the smokey and the bandit paint scheme and looked correct also in the saturday bunch.
    Even a 79 Z28 in the saturday bunch, so there are plenty of later 2nd gens that are considered by some on this board to be less than desirable. Keep an eye on it. But the early 2nd gens are already showing a strong market.

PS: there was a 4th gen too, a 99 30th aniv convertable pace car that looked like it might go accross last night for those interested in 4th gens, it could give an idea how they are looked upon from a buying market point of view.
    I mentioned a year ago or so that 4th gens going accross the block are going to be a reality, and now we have one this year. Have to see what that brings in the future now.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-16-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

just this morning at 10am.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...3&d=01/16/2009

i guess this kinda clears up the OP
    Last edited by mpfranks; 01-16-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I witnessed a 74 SD T/A go accross the block that fetched $67K,,,Not the most desirable SD either.
    Who said second gens won't be collectable???

And that was an early auction car, got to see it in person, nice but not perfect, and still grabbed respectable money. Considering an LS6 chevelle, considered by many to be the pinacle of muscle cars went accross at $73K.
    I looked this car over as well, it was missing the correct carb, and the steering wheel horn buttons were broken and missing the SS emblem. Few other little cosmetic things on the engine that wasn't correct but the paint and body looked very nice. Not what would be representive of the cream of the crop and the price reflected that,,,,but,,,,,Overall an easy car to finish off and make correct. It was bought very well I believe and would be a great car to fix and hold for 1-2 years and get some return on your money.
    The extremely nice 2nd gens will go on the block saturday. Got a good look at 3 different 70 Z28's that were top notch and correct in every way.
    Be interesting to see what they fetch.

Also an 81 Yenko turbo Z waiting for Saturday night. It was missing the correct air cleaner but being 1 of 18 made it should grab some interest.
    I also saw an 81 turbo T/A that had the smokey and the bandit paint scheme and looked correct also in the saturday bunch.
    Even a 79 Z28 in the saturday bunch, so there are plenty of later 2nd gens that are considered by some on this board to be less than desirable. Keep an eye on it. But the early 2nd gens are already showing a strong market.

PS: there was a 4th gen too, a 99 30th aniv convertable pace car that looked like it might go accross last night for those interested in 4th gens, it could give an idea how they are looked upon from a buying market point of view.
    I mentioned a year ago or so that 4th gens going accross the block are going to be a reality, and now we have one this year. Have to see what that brings in the future now.
    but i looked through all the cars that went across the block. only a handful went for that high, most of the 2nd gens were well under 20k, around 12-15k. but all the chevelles were going for at least 30k, and many many of then over 50k.

and most of these cars are going for so much money because of the cost of their restorations. its easier to see the value of a car if its unrestored or in a rolling chassis, which for a 57 chevy, chevelle or 65 mustang, is much higher than a 2nd gen. an unrestored 70 chevelle, (well maintained, drivable, not show condition) is still work 10k or more. a second gen is well under that.

off topic, but did you see the 89 zr-1s going for $100k+? i guess the release of the new zr-1 has increased the value of the originals....
    Last edited by mpfranks; 01-16-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I honestly like the 78 TA's and love to get a 69 like the one my neighbor used to have. Camaro's are ok but I've always seen alot of them now a 69 Trans Am is a little harder to find. buy really If I was going for an older car I want a 1969 GTO Judge in Blue or Orange. I has a 72 Le Mans with the GTO package(hood, bumper, emblems.....) and it was a great car even being a 350. If my uncle wouldn't have hit 2 parked cars with it I would still have it.
    you and i have the same taste in cars. i want a 78 ta and an orange 69 judge. the 78 should be obtainable but the 69 judge won't be unless i have 125k. i'll probably just get a 68-69 tempest or le mans and just upgrade everything to judge specs. i want a classic muscle car bad (i know, excludes the 78 ta, not as much muscle)

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i sometimes wonder if barrett-jackson prices aren't a bit inflated relative to other(non-televised or not well-known)auctions due to the fact that barrett-jackson draws a bunch of rich guys with money to burn on anything they(or their wife)"just have to have".i mean damn a cuda CLONE went for big bucks today!

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    i sometimes wonder if barrett-jackson prices aren't a bit inflated relative to other(non-televised or not well-known)auctions due to the fact that barrett-jackson draws a bunch of rich guys with money to burn on anything they(or their wife)"just have to have".i mean damn a cuda CLONE went for big bucks today!
    thats exactly why i'd clone an old skool goat. the prices on 60's muscle is so inflated with these old guys with huge wallets with money burnin through it. i live in northern va and i went to look at some new challengers at the dodge dealer and they had a special barrett-jackson challenger for a charity that went for 400k! i went into shock just thinking about that kinda money but the guy lives around this part of va and had the money for it before the challenger came out

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    but i looked through all the cars that went across the block. only a handful went for that high, most of the 2nd gens were well under 20k, around 12-15k. but all the chevelles were going for at least 30k, and many many of then over 50k.

and most of these cars are going for so much money because of the cost of their restorations. its easier to see the value of a car if its unrestored or in a rolling chassis, which for a 57 chevy, chevelle or 65 mustang, is much higher than a 2nd gen. an unrestored 70 chevelle, (well maintained, drivable, not show condition) is still work 10k or more. a second gen is well under that.

off topic, but did you see the 89 zr-1s going for $100k+? i guess the release of the new zr-1 has increased the value of the originals....

Thats why in my original posts I always mentioned correctly restored cars. There are alot of clones, wannabe's, pro-touring, etc...and they just don't bring the money as you can plainly see.....but thats true of any muscle car,,,not just 2nd gens.

When you have a correctly restored car that is the real deal, as you can see they bring the real money, 2nd gens included. Your post with the link plainly shows this.

A pro-touring 1970 camaro only fetched $37K,,,,not bad but not most peoples taste obviously. I saw this car in person, it wasn't grabbing much attention while outside.

Yet a little further down a legit 1972 Z-28 correctly restored grabbed $71K,,, I saw this car in person. There are many more just like this one that goes on the block tonight. Being there in person really helps to put into perspective the kind of money each car grabs and the reasons why. But it's already shown the second gens are just as hot on the market no question. It's obvious what the market demands, correctly restored muscle in any brand or year car.

Yes you can find any "driver" muscle car whether it be chevelle, camaro, mustang, for 20K or less, It's not terribly hard to do,,,,but they are usually hacked. You get what you pay for.

I have been watching the ZR1's, there have been several and the cheapest was around $100K,,,although one slipped by very cheaply when auctioned off as a pair along side a new ZR1 last night.
    But it shows these 89-90 ZR1's are now becoming collectable, and it's only 18-19 years old. Interesting eh?? Just 5 years ago you could find a nice low mile example of these for around $40K.

Wait till tonight,,,thats when the big money cars go accross, keep an eye on the second gens if you are still not a believer. There is an 81 Yenko turbo Z waiting, several 70-72 Z-28's,,,,and quite a few T/A's from the late 70's.
    It will be interesting for sure.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-17-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    The cuda clones still grab decent money depending on which clone we are talking about,,,, the E-bodies have always been popular, even the 318 cars. But if you think that was big money,,,just watch what the real deal Cuda's tonight bring.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information