Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

33k for a trans am...

This is a discussion on 33k for a trans am... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I'm an everything enthusiast to be honest. You wouldn't have to be strictly an F-body enthusiast ...

  1. #41
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm an everything enthusiast to be honest. You wouldn't have to be strictly an F-body enthusiast to know what a 72 camaro is. At least not the crowd I hand around.
    I'm guessing you are basing that on younger generations, which are not the generations (for the most part) that are purchasing these cars in the first place. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that you were born around 1985???
    im 24, so i was born in 1984. but i also am a everything enthusiast. and most people i hang out with would know too. but were mostly auto techs, so its a big interest. but i just think that the 72 camaro is a forgettable car to anyone else. just my opinion. i just dont think in another 20 years people will be that crazy about them.

  2. #42
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    im 24, so i was born in 1984. but i also am a everything enthusiast. and most people i hang out with would know too. but were mostly auto techs, so its a big interest. but i just think that the 72 camaro is a forgettable car to anyone else. just my opinion. i just dont think in another 20 years people will be that crazy about them.
    WOW! I think that last sentence about knocked me out of the chair
    Actually history has shown the opposite of that to be true.

    Guess my hunch was correct. It's okay, it's all good, I actually expect these kind of opinions from the younger generation.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.

  3. #43
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    WOW! I think that last sentence about knocked me out of the chair
    Actually history has shown the opposite of that to be true.

    Guess my hunch was correct. It's okay, it's all good, I actually expect these kind of opinions from the younger generation.
    agreed

  4. #44
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    WOW! I think that last sentence about knocked me out of the chair
    Actually history has shown the opposite of that to be true.

    Guess my hunch was correct. It's okay, it's all good, I actually expect these kind of opinions from the younger generation.
    dont get sassy with us old man.

  5. #45
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    dont get sassy with us old man.

  6. #46
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    WOW! I think that last sentence about knocked me out of the chair
    Actually history has shown the opposite of that to be true.
    while the baby boomer generation has gone crazy for certain cars because thats what they grew up with, dont expect kids born 1970 and up to be so crazy about muscle cars.
    If todays generation follows the lead of the baby boomer and buys the most hip cars of their time, 30 years from now its very possible to see riced out civics.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 01-09-2009 at 08:36 AM.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  7. #47
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    while the baby boomer generation has gone crazy for certain cars because thats what they grew up with, dont expect kids born 1970 and up to be so crazy about muscle cars.
    If todays generation follows the lead of the baby boomer and buys the most hip cars of their time, 30 years from now its very possible to see riced out civics.
    I don't see the honda's and civics holding any real value or appeal to be honest. They are popular right now with the young kids I believe because they are on a limited budget working at burger joints. 10-20 years down the road when they are more established some of them may look at things a little differently.

    Hehe, I think there are many people in there late 20's and 30's now that can and do appreciate the old stuff. It's not just us Americans though, many of these cars are exchanging hands over seas now. Even the foreigners love this stuff now and they didn't grow up with it at all.

  8. #48
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    WOW! I think that last sentence about knocked me out of the chair
    Actually history has shown the opposite of that to be true.

    Guess my hunch was correct. It's okay, it's all good, I actually expect these kind of opinions from the younger generation.
    my age has nothing to do with it.... we just disagree on the collectibility of one particular car. i would think the same thing if i was 50. i didnt grow up with any "classics" but that doesnt mean i cant have an opinion on them. there are no facts to prove it either way, so neither of us are wrong, and neither of us are right. i will say though, good discussion.

  9. #49
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    while the baby boomer generation has gone crazy for certain cars because thats what they grew up with, dont expect kids born 1970 and up to be so crazy about muscle cars.
    If todays generation follows the lead of the baby boomer and buys the most hip cars of their time, 30 years from now its very possible to see riced out civics.
    agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't see the honda's and civics holding any real value or appeal to be honest. They are popular right now with the young kids I believe because they are on a limited budget working at burger joints. 10-20 years down the road when they are more established some of them may look at things a little differently.

    Hehe, I think there are many people in there late 20's and 30's now that can and do appreciate the old stuff. It's not just us Americans though, many of these cars are exchanging hands over seas now. Even the foreigners love this stuff now and they didn't grow up with it at all.
    well no matter whether you like them or not, there is a definite place for tuners. were just used to seeing tacky 92 civics. but when done tastefully, and with quality parts, they can look good. and in a lot of cases, whoop the asses of many muscle cars. they dont float my boat, but i can def see them around 30 years from now. prop not civics, but skylines, evos, and sti's for sure.

    and theyre exchanging them over seas for their value mostly. people will exchange anything worth $$. (i am not saying they dont also like/appreciate them too)

  10. #50
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't see the honda's and civics holding any real value or appeal to be honest. They are popular right now with the young kids I believe because they are on a limited budget working at burger joints. 10-20 years down the road when they are more established some of them may look at things a little differently.
    Kids were on a budget 20 years ago and also bought the "in" cars which happened to be muscle. I was one of those kids from 20 years ago.

    Times change and so did the generation.
    The very same situation today exists that kids are flipping burgers and quite a few of them do have "imports"

    You say that when they grow up they may look at things differently, but did you?
    Seems like the cars you liked when younger are still the cars you like now that your older.

    Quite frankly younger kids will be fond of things of what they had in their youth which is "imports", just like you are fond of 1st Gens.

  11. #51
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    my age has nothing to do with it.... we just disagree on the collectibility of one particular car. i would think the same thing if i was 50. i didnt grow up with any "classics" but that doesnt mean i cant have an opinion on them. there are no facts to prove it either way, so neither of us are wrong, and neither of us are right. i will say though, good discussion.
    Actually your age has a lot to do with it.
    It proves that your generation did not only like muscle cars, it also liked imports.
    How collectible a car maybe in the future depends alot on what your generation finds collectible.
    I can totally see how some cars we call rice be collectible in the future to people who liked that fad as a kid.

  12. #52
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Actually your age has a lot to do with it.
    It proves that your generation did not only like muscle cars, it also liked imports.
    How collectible a car maybe in the future depends alot on what your generation finds collectible.
    I can totally see how some cars we call rice be collectible in the future to people who liked that fad as a kid.
    how doest that affect that i dont think 2nd gens will be that collectable? its not like i said all cars from that generation wouldnt be collectors. i just think in the entire realm of collectable cars, the 2nd gen fbodies will be no where near the upper echelon. if anything, i would bet 4th gens will be more desirable than 2nd gens. however, i dont think any gen will be as desirable as 1st.

    i guess its because cars went through phases within a certain period, and the 70's and 80's dont really have a "tag line" like hot rod, or muscle. there are just a lot of slow, ugly, forgettable cars from that era. but then again i didnt grow up with any of them, so i dont have a emotional or sentimental connection to them. but i also didnt grow up with cars from the 50's or 60's but i have no problem making a connection with them.

    its just my opinion, theres a reason they say their like assholes....
    Last edited by mpfranks; 01-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.

  13. #53
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    how doest that affect that i dont think 2nd gens will be that collectable? its not like i said all cars from that generation wouldnt be collectors. i just think in the entire realm of collectable cars, the 2nd gen fbodies will be no where near the upper echelon. if anything, i would bet 4th gens will be more desirable than 2nd gens. however, i dont think any gen will be as desirable as 1st.

    i guess its because cars went through phases within a certain period, and the 70's and 80's dont really have a "tag line" like hot rod, or muscle. there are just a lot of slow, ugly, forgettable cars from that era. but then again i didnt grow up with any of them, so i dont have a emotional or sentimental connection to them. but i also didnt grow up with cars from the 50's or 60's but i have no problem making a connection with them.

    its just my opinion, theres a reason they say their like assholes....
    your opinion means alot because you are the future generation of buyers of collectible cars. theres a lot of you out there that have no connection to a 2nd gen.

  14. #54
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    holding a late model car to get big bucks is risky.i was at a luxury/highline dealer auction in atlanta back in 2003(i have friends that are auto dealers) there was a pristine 1995 mustang cobra r.the real freakin deal still had all the plastic on the seats and carpet, something like 33 miles on the odometer.for those that don't know the 95 cobra r had a fuel injected 351w engine,stripped down interior(no backseat or power options)and one helluva suspension.ford would not sell you a cobra r unless you had a scca competition license.still had the window sticker for 35 grand on the glass.anyway by 2003 the new supercharged cobra was out and this cobra r ran through twice high bid was 28 thousand,guy didn't sell his "investment",maybe in 10 years he'll get the original sticker price. just my 2 cents.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Hurley711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,362

    414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

    I find it funny that the car is 7 yrs old now and it would still but an ass whooping on most of the sports cars coming out brand new in '09.

  16. #56
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    holding a late model car to get big bucks is risky.i was at a luxury/highline dealer auction in atlanta back in 2003(i have friends that are auto dealers) there was a pristine 1995 mustang cobra r.the real freakin deal still had all the plastic on the seats and carpet, something like 33 miles on the odometer.for those that don't know the 95 cobra r had a fuel injected 351w engine,stripped down interior(no backseat or power options)and one helluva suspension.ford would not sell you a cobra r unless you had a scca competition license.still had the window sticker for 35 grand on the glass.anyway by 2003 the new supercharged cobra was out and this cobra r ran through twice high bid was 28 thousand,guy didn't sell his "investment",maybe in 10 years he'll get the original sticker price. just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    I find it funny that the car is 7 yrs old now and it would still but an ass whooping on most of the sports cars coming out brand new in '09.
    i think that what he is saying is that if the new camaro comes out, and its as "bad ass" as they say, and our cars wont touch it (stock), then the value of our cars will really be hurt.

  17. #57
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Kids were on a budget 20 years ago and also bought the "in" cars which happened to be muscle. I was one of those kids from 20 years ago.

    Times change and so did the generation.
    The very same situation today exists that kids are flipping burgers and quite a few of them do have "imports"

    You say that when they grow up they may look at things differently, but did you?
    Seems like the cars you liked when younger are still the cars you like now that your older.

    Quite frankly younger kids will be fond of things of what they had in their youth which is "imports", just like you are fond of 1st Gens.
    I think thats more of a result of the older cars simply getting out of reach money wise for the younger generation right now.

  18. #58
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    my age has nothing to do with it.... we just disagree on the collectibility of one particular car. i would think the same thing if i was 50. i didnt grow up with any "classics" but that doesnt mean i cant have an opinion on them. there are no facts to prove it either way, so neither of us are wrong, and neither of us are right. i will say though, good discussion.
    Age has alot to do with it. You weren't around back then, and it's just something you would have to experience to understand fully. It's hard for us old folk to accept an opinion of a young pup on cars that have been around long before you were born.

    Not saying you are wrong, but how can someone say a second gen won't be collectable in the future when they are already collectable now, they are already bringing in big money. I don't see them getting any cheaper or less collectable 15 years from now. As a matter of fact, they haven't peaked yet if you look at the trend.

  19. #59
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    agreed



    well no matter whether you like them or not, there is a definite place for tuners. were just used to seeing tacky 92 civics. but when done tastefully, and with quality parts, they can look good. and in a lot of cases, whoop the asses of many muscle cars. they dont float my boat, but i can def see them around 30 years from now. prop not civics, but skylines, evos, and sti's for sure.

    and theyre exchanging them over seas for their value mostly. people will exchange anything worth $$. (i am not saying they dont also like/appreciate them too)
    I didn't say I don't like them, I just don't see any collectability at all with them in the future. Maybe the rare stuff like skylines and evos that you mentioned,,,,but really you don't see those around all that much now. They are pricey and few young kids can even afford them on a minimum salary. So there is a good chance they may be sought after 15 years from now,,,,that is if they ever stop production of them.
    I think thats the key,,,,to be valuable or desirable,,,that usually happens when they don't make them anymore.

    Guess I should clerify the muscle cars going over seas, they are infact changing hands for 6 figure money and being shipped to Australia, France, etc...seems there are a ton of muscle car enthusiasts other than here in the USA that are willing to pay the money, and the hassle of transport/export fees just to own a piece of history.

  20. #60
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    how doest that affect that i dont think 2nd gens will be that collectable? its not like i said all cars from that generation wouldnt be collectors. i just think in the entire realm of collectable cars, the 2nd gen fbodies will be no where near the upper echelon. if anything, i would bet 4th gens will be more desirable than 2nd gens. however, i dont think any gen will be as desirable as 1st.

    i guess its because cars went through phases within a certain period, and the 70's and 80's dont really have a "tag line" like hot rod, or muscle. there are just a lot of slow, ugly, forgettable cars from that era. but then again i didnt grow up with any of them, so i dont have a emotional or sentimental connection to them. but i also didnt grow up with cars from the 50's or 60's but i have no problem making a connection with them.

    its just my opinion, theres a reason they say their like assholes....
    What you said here is one reason I knew you were younger. Stating 4th gens will be more desirable then second gens is another one that about knocked me out of the chair

    I don't see that happening at all. The rare second gens are already grabbing 60K or more right now,,,who knows in 15 years where they will be, but if they keep climbing like everything else then look out.
    The first gens are already out of reach for most people, and that forces them to look at the next best thing,,,which in turn drives those prices up. It's a vicious cycle.

    If you don't mean every second gen then that changes things a bit. You haven't really clearified that since this discussion began.
    Really the second gens should be catagorized in 2 groups.

    70-74 2nd gens are in a league of their own right now. They are a close second behind 1st gen prices and desirability. Closer than any other generation of F-bodies.

    75-81 is where things really began to change in drivetrains and appearances. Prices drop here as a result. That doesn't mean they won't be collectable though. If you keep tabs on the current market you will have noticed the 75-81's have been slowly rising in prices lately. Simply because the 70-74 models are starting to get out of reach for most people.
    If you can find a nice example of a 75-81 you can now expect to pay anywhere from $12K to to as high as $18K from what I'm seeing. Thats not chump change,,,and it's higher than current prices for a low mileage 4th gen right now.

    It wasn't but 7-8 years ago you could pickup a 75-81 model for $5-6,000 so the trend is obvious. It's only a matter of time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - A Trans Am Owner Transfuses His
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 01:22 AM
  2. 2000 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk Trans Am, T-Tops, Auto Trans
    By Handyman401 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
  3. For Sale: mt et street radials/b&m trans cooler/tci deep trans pan
    By senicalj4579 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:50 AM
  5. 1999 Pontiac Trans Am SLP Performance Parts Test - Trans Slam
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 04:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •