Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2nd Gen T/A

This is a discussion on 2nd Gen T/A within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I did not get a chance to pick it up today, my stepdad promised to get to the bank first ...

2011 Prius

I did not get a chance to pick it up today, my stepdad promised to get to the bank first think in the morning. So tomorrow for sure this time. But I talked to the guy, it's an automatic with a shift kit. I thought it was a manual since in the original add he said a 4 speed? Maybe a different transmission or typeo. Since I thought the auto for it's era is a 3 speed. But I asked him how the under carriage is. He said it's solid and the great thing, when he bought the car. The frame was sitting in mud and oil and it protected it, there's no rust under it. Do I buy that, is what he saying true? He said there some minor little rust spots on the floor pan, but it's fixable. He also painted the entire under body in a gloss black like finish.

Edit: I sold my stepdad the T/A, he offered me a nice penny. Don't think he's just giving me money.
    Last edited by SHines-IT; 11-02-2009 at 03:14 PM.

White
    02 WS6

Think you could stop typing "jew him down?" It's an extremely distasteful comment to use.

dale

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    Think you could stop typing "jew him down?" It's an extremely distasteful comment to use.

dale
    Alright, sorry will stop saying that..

White
    02 WS6

Thanks, bro.

2011 Prius

Thanks, bro.
    Should I be worried about where the car has been sitting before the guy bought it?

White
    02 WS6

I'd say that it would have to be completely soaked in oil...then dropped in the mud. Sounds like he's feeding you a line to me. However, if I was looking for one, I'd probably be checking this one out...but I'd be really wary.

2011 Prius

I'd say that it would have to be completely soaked in oil...then dropped in the mud. Sounds like he's feeding you a line to me. However, if I was looking for one, I'd probably be checking this one out...but I'd be really wary.
    The exterior looks good, but I plain to repaint it latter. I am just worried about a solid body and frame and something that runs good for 6-8 months. While I build up a more modern drivtrain to drop in it.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

we've all had different variations of the car, go take real photos and report back to us. and look for rust in the normal spots especially for water leakage in the floor boards and trunk. make sure u get under hood and interior shots too. Also, a good view of the exhaust system can sometimes show what kind of hack job has been done.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    we've all had different variations of the car, go take real photos and report back to us. and look for rust in the normal spots especially for water leakage in the floor boards and trunk. make sure u get under hood and interior shots too. Also, a good view of the exhaust system can sometimes show what kind of hack job has been done.
    I will look it over real well, I will do that if I see something questionable. If all is good, then no question I will buy.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Both the front and rear window pinchwelds are prone to rusting. Those are the two of three rust spots on my 74 camaro. Also I am an auto glass installer/ retired body man, painter.

Yellow
    1978 Z28 in market for TA

I have been in guam as well so we both know how much it rains there. (everyday at about 1130). but it also depends on how long the car has been on the island. i have a 78 with basically no rust but i would deffinitly check the following. under lips in the wheel wells, if there is any started it will be hard to stop and probly have to patch. the rocker panels behind the front tires. rear cowl. deffinitly check on the bottom of the door where the seal is to see if water has gotten in the door. if so you might be able to just skin it. and check in the trunk if it has the drop offs inside like my Z/28. peek in there with a flashlight and check the gaps in the doors to rear quater. 2nd gens have the same body twisting problem ans the 4ths.

black
    1999 pontiac trans am

I had a 1980 Turbo SE (Black and Gold) years ago. It had the weak 301 Turbo charged and a 242 rear gear ratio. That car would fly after 55mph.

Check real close around the rear quarters, rear window corners, and ofcourse the truck. That is where most rust problems begin. If it has T-Tops, check around the seal areas also.

Good luck. Those Second Gens and the Fourth are my favorites.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

2011 Prius

I been second questioning myself... I really, really want one. But I don't know about driving one everyday, I don't drive much. Mostly under 10 miles a day and once and a while a car show witch I have to travel. The rear brakes did not work on that car, the steering was not connected great... But that car was solid for it's age. Few little surface rust spots and that was it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information