Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2012 firebird?

This is a discussion on 2012 firebird? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i honestly believe GM will only build what they are sure of that will sell by the 100,000 "s each ...

black
    2002 WS6

i honestly believe GM will only build what they are sure of that will sell by the 100,000 "s each & every year .
    Muscle cars are only for a selected few & anyone that whats one & those who can afford one will make their purchase early in production.
    Hard to believe we will ever see all the good years up till 2007 in the years to come,

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

the next few years for GM isnt going to be pretty. Youve been warned

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    i read somewere that for GM to build the new firebird it would be a 200 million investment & there is no way that they will have the $$$ for an investment like this for many , many years,
    Survival will be their biggest challenge for a long time!!
    The 2008 & 2009 Dodge challenger was to be a much wanted muscle car & now they sit on lots with "NO " Buyers in sight, There was a wanted list & i believe that anyone that really wanted one has it & the rest cannot afford one in these serious economic times!!
    If they hadn't priced it in Vette territory with sedan like handling it would have done fine. I mean somewhere around $32K for the 425HP Hemi would have worked. Not $42-44K. I was looking for my buddy that wanted one really bad. Even he says it's simply not worth the dough and he has a lot of that disposable income.

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    i honestly believe GM will only build what they are sure of that will sell by the 100,000 "s each & every year .
    Muscle cars are only for a selected few & anyone that whats one & those who can afford one will make their purchase early in production.
    Hard to believe we will ever see all the good years up till 2007 in the years to come,
    I'd love to get a new Vette but for $43K min I can't see buying one for the extra 80HP or so I'll get. Just cheaper to SC the Bird right now and save about $40K (tax inc. difference)

None

Quote Originally Posted by derekws6 View Post
    as sweet as it would be for a 2012 t/a, i hope they never come out with another because you have too think about your car value. if you currently have the last gen. it could be worth big bucks in 10-20 years. maybe more mabe less but still.
    Selfish but true.

No more SS's please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I want the last one!

I bought it thinking/wishing that was true?
    Last edited by SS02; 12-21-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Yeah, I'd like to see our excellent condition Birds to go for $40-50K someday. Original price on mine was $20K in '98. Smokin' deal back then.

I mean look at your $6K 67 Camaro that is now worth $20K just being restored to it's original luster.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see our excellent condition Birds to go for $40-50K someday. Original price on mine was $20K in '98. Smokin' deal back then.

I mean look at your $6K 67 Camaro that is now worth $20K just being restored to it's original luster.
    Wow. Bought my first f-body for 15K. 1997 Z-28 30th anniversary edition with 14K on the clock in 1998. I wish I had kept it as I have seen most of them priced way over that. Bought my latest T/A for 8500$. The window sticker was still in the glovebox which said 31895...

I hope GM doesn't make another bird because it will probably be the damn retro crap that everyone is doing. Don't get me wrong, the Challengers look great. I just think it is being overdone. The mustang was OK when it came out but now everyone is doing it. I am definitely not fond of the new camaro body style.

I think the day of 13 second production cars is numbered. I think most people would be happy with 15 sec cars with 50mpg. I hope that is where we are going and we'll keep the fast cars for investors and car collectors. ;-)

Now if I could just get a hydrogen conversion for my Motorhome and filling stations around the country for the Truckers and me. All would be good in the world. bigger grin...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I think the day of 13 second production cars is numbered. I think most people would be happy with 15 sec cars with 50mpg. I hope that is where we are going and we'll keep the fast cars for investors and car collectors. ;-)

Now if I could just get a hydrogen conversion for my Motorhome and filling stations around the country for the Truckers and me. All would be good in the world. bigger grin...
    Yeah, it is sad but I think you are right. The new fleet economy restrictions that are coming up will kill the muscle car.

Junior Member 1 Bad Ass Formula's Avatar

Black
    98 Formula

GM isn't going to introduce new models so easily especially re-badged cars. Then again when the Cavalier & Sunfire died and the Cobalt came out there wasn't supposed to be a Pontiac version. One year later there was the G5 Coupe. There could end up being a Firebird to maybe help spark a few more sales. But right now they have to cut back before they can grow, but also producing a Camaro based Firebird could work because it wouldn't be like building an entirely new car from the ground up or from the base platform up. Looks of cars sell and a Firebird could attract sales that wouldn't go to the Camaro anyway. The re-badged Pontiac's though always have 1 up on the Chevy versions whether it be the interior, looks, or in the 97-04 W-Bodies case, power. There were some reports of GM axing Pontiac or cutting it to 1 model, but I think that would be asking for certain death of the company. Pontiac over I believe has a bit of a following, and there are reasons why people buy a Pontiac over a Chevy. GM just needs to take their heads out of their asses and take Pontiac back to it's performance roots with sporty high powered cars in their line up.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Bad Ass Formula View Post
    GM isn't going to introduce new models so easily especially re-badged cars. Then again when the Cavalier & Sunfire died and the Cobalt came out there wasn't supposed to be a Pontiac version. One year later there was the G5 Coupe. There could end up being a Firebird to maybe help spark a few more sales. But right now they have to cut back before they can grow, but also producing a Camaro based Firebird could work because it wouldn't be like building an entirely new car from the ground up or from the base platform up. Looks of cars sell and a Firebird could attract sales that wouldn't go to the Camaro anyway. The re-badged Pontiac's though always have 1 up on the Chevy versions whether it be the interior, looks, or in the 97-04 W-Bodies case, power. There were some reports of GM axing Pontiac or cutting it to 1 model, but I think that would be asking for certain death of the company. Pontiac over I believe has a bit of a following, and there are reasons why people buy a Pontiac over a Chevy. GM just needs to take their heads out of their asses and take Pontiac back to it's performance roots with sporty high powered cars in their line up.
    I concur.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

If they don't offer the Trans Am, I don't see why they don't offer the Vette in a 2+2 model. The theory of a 2 seater is fun.....until you are no longer single with a kid. Thus, the Trans Am was an awesome option....just something to ponder.

black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    If they don't offer the Trans Am, I don't see why they don't offer the Vette in a 2+2 model. The theory of a 2 seater is fun.....until you are no longer single with a kid. Thus, the Trans Am was an awesome option....just something to ponder.
    we can offer all kinds of suggestions etc, BUT GM has no extra $$ to work with & likley will not for many years to come,

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Bad Ass Formula View Post
    what w-body pontiac had more power? the gtp was the same thing as the ss supercharged monte carlo and the gxp had the same 5.3 as the monte and impalas. was there another w body that im missing?

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i thought gm no longer has the firebird name and the g8 is the last of the perfomance cars coming from the pontiac division.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

pontiac is suspended...it will come back..its not like oldsmobile....

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    what w-body pontiac had more power? the gtp was the same thing as the ss supercharged monte carlo and the gxp had the same 5.3 as the monte and impalas. was there another w body that im missing?
    the monte carlo ss didn't get the l67(supercharged 3800) until 2005.

When was Pontiac suspended? I thought nothing was official yet?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Being a car nut myself, born and raised, I hope the F-BODY comes back. I mean F, NOT some other platform. I know I'm gonna get flamed but I LOVE my Goat. I always thought the 04-06 GTO/HSV Monaro looked like a newer model of the 70s Poncho Ventura/GTO. It was the bastard that got no recognition/respect, but I love it. I will agree, to some extent, that retro is getting quite old REAL fast. If I were in charge of GM's Perf. Div. the F would possibly look like the 02, but be a little smaller in wheelbase, like the G6, just RWD/V6/V8. Have a slighter lower center of gravity and more options. The FIREHAWK would just, flat-out, be HELL ON WHEELS. Add Berger/GMMG and the new F would be a force to be reckoned with.

End rant.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I actually like the way the GTOs drive and perform. I just think Pontiac ruined the image with a not so appealing body style. I think that was the GTOs only hold back. When I saw it, I thought it was the new Grand Am. They did not do the legend justice IMO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information