Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2012 firebird?

This is a discussion on 2012 firebird? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 00z28bubba ummm just to let you know foreign companies have nothing to do with afl-cio. and more ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    ummm just to let you know foreign companies have nothing to do with afl-cio. and more than likely you wouldnt be allowed to be apart of the international because your job is supporting foreign companies. it helps a few people having a plant here but does even less for the economy seeing as how hyundai is sending most of the money that was used to purchased those cars to korea and all.
    01ws6er just reread post 30 your replies seem like my posts dont make sense. the jist of my posts said if you put in enough effort your work would have already paid off. its more than likely how im reading your replies though.
    we must be misunderstansing each other... Just wanted to say that I don't wanna seem like I think I'm hot shit, or the best worker in the world, but that I try my best and the results are there. About the union though, we must be on a totally different page...

white
    2000 Z28

yep more than likely. its like sarcasm sometimes. hard to get it across in just letters lol.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

yep more than likely. its like sarcasm sometimes. hard to get it across in just letters lol.
    damn right thats why we have all these smilies

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Let me add - I think the $70-72 an hour the government is quoting includes all the pensions / union charges that the Big 3 have to give out. If that was not taken into the formula the hourly would be closer to $45 I think. Then if the union cut was out of the picture I'd place it somewhere around $32 an hour for a avg worker. Reasonable to me in these times for this type of work. However, even if the union's were cut out of the picture and you were happy living by the law(s) the government would have. You would still have to pay out all those pensions through government insurance if the companies were no longer responsible. They were promised and I believe we as a country are on the hook for those. So, you would just be trading the Union's for the government administrating the pensions. The cost of the package would be about the same except government is not too efficient as well. Therefore, same horse different color. The only way this works is if the government decides not to pay the pensions. That isn't going to happen.

So all said and done. It is probably better to bail the companies out with strict rules and employer / employee taking a slight cut to be fair to us all. This is including the tax payer.

If the pensions were not involved ... the cost would go down.

I think the future is not to pay pensions. But, to offer 401K with 50% match or something like that. It seems the only way to be competitive in the Global Market.

And do not be miss-lead thinking we can avoid the Global economy. We have to participate or we will not be a world leader for long. We will end up with the short stick for sure.

I even thought tariff might help for the short term.... But, in the long term if other countries do not buy our products at the same rate that we import. $ for $ We should cap it. Or we will lose our country. That really shouldn't be too much to ask some country that is making Billions off of us. Yeah, maybe they sell to someone else. Their choice .... But, apparently we have a lot of money here in this country; at least for now.

You ask, if I want to run? .... I would if I could get the backing.... ;-)

Barack - I'm waiting for your call .... Lol !!!
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-15-2008 at 12:35 AM.

V6 with WS6 wheels......

silver
    99 formula a4

i'm with you guys.... praying that GM even exists by the time the new camaro is projected to hit the streets in a few months.

It may be called a Toyota Camaro by then. ;-(

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

ummm just to let you know foreign companies have nothing to do with afl-cio. and more than likely you wouldnt be allowed to be apart of the international because your job is supporting foreign companies. it helps a few people having a plant here but does even less for the economy seeing as how hyundai is sending most of the money that was used to purchased those cars to korea and all.
    01ws6er just reread post 30 your replies seem like my posts dont make sense. the jist of my posts said if you put in enough effort your work would have already paid off. its more than likely how im reading your replies though.
    i was referring to the uaw.they really want to organize plants in the south.

Man - I was looking at Vette's today. $47K down to $34K plus $11K for my trade.

That means My Bird, $23K tax and lic would get me one. Kind of hard to pass up.

Granted it's only a 1LT not 3LT package which would cost me $44K for the car. However, I don't need all that extra stuff though. 6spd with top that comes off.
    Really thinking about going that way instead of Super Charging the Bird. I think I have to end of the month to decide.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.

The new Camaro will get out someway somehow b/c they have already built like two or three thousand of them, but if a new bird is based on Camaro sales numbers then the new bird will probably never be. Besides I really think that type of thinking is what has hurt GM now. think of the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, Silverado/Sierra, Sunfire/Cavalier GM already has to compete with the likes of Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, and Honda and the they go compete with themselves by selling identical cars under diffrent names. So "if" GM and Pontiac survive, then a new Pontiac performance car should be somthing completly diffrent from the Camaro even if it is called a Firebird.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

fail

black
    2002 WS6

i read somewere that for GM to build the new firebird it would be a 200 million investment & there is no way that they will have the $$$ for an investment like this for many , many years,
    Survival will be their biggest challenge for a long time!!
    The 2008 & 2009 Dodge challenger was to be a much wanted muscle car & now they sit on lots with "NO " Buyers in sight, There was a wanted list & i believe that anyone that really wanted one has it & the rest cannot afford one in these serious economic times!!

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    i read somewere that for GM to build the new firebird it would be a 200 million investment & there is no way that they will have the $$$ for an investment like this for many , many years,
    Survival will be their biggest challenge for a long time!!
    The 2008 & 2009 Dodge challenger was to be a much wanted muscle car & now they sit on lots with "NO " Buyers in sight, There was a wanted list & i believe that anyone that really wanted one has it & the rest cannot afford one in these serious economic times!!
    They sure look good though. I almost bought an RT but decided on the GTO instead. No one is buying any cars right now cause of the shitty economy... My buddy is a salesman at a honda dealership and he has been barely scraping by lately...

red
    2001 trans am ws6

as sweet as it would be for a 2012 t/a, i hope they never come out with another because you have too think about your car value. if you currently have the last gen. it could be worth big bucks in 10-20 years. maybe more mabe less but still.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no probably not worth as much as first gens are

Quote Originally Posted by derekws6 View Post
    as sweet as it would be for a 2012 t/a, i hope they never come out with another because you have too think about your car value. if you currently have the last gen. it could be worth big bucks in 10-20 years. maybe more mabe less but still.
    Totally agree 02 last of the breed an honestly 98-02 are the only body style I really love the first gen was little more than a rebagged Camaro third gen was turd gen, second gen (smokey & the bandit) was when Firebird became the mans car and Camaro's were for your little sister. IMO 01-02 were the best of the breed and given the current state of the economy and GM own problems 02 will be the last for the next 30 years when some genius has the bright idea to bring it back with a retro body style if GM still exists.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Out of Hot Rod magazine, February 2009 issue.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Well, I definately will hold off until they make a final decision to build it or not. I just wish they would do a build with an LS-7 instead of the conversion kit idea they have with the Camaro.

black
    2002 WS6

Untill the economy does a complete 360 & consumer"s confidence is once again restored & jobs created- there will Never be a 2012 Firebird
    Re-produced, Gm may take forever to recover& show profits or may Never recover from this sinking economy!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    Untill the economy does a complete 360 & consumer"s confidence is once again restored & jobs created- there will Never be a 2012 Firebird
    Re-produced, Gm may take forever to recover& show profits or may Never recover from this sinking economy!!
    180, not 360. 360 would be putting it right back where it is

black
    2002 WS6

ya -- had a brain failure!!
    something like GM, Chrysler has had for a while

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information