Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Mostly Stock

2002 WS6 Park/Turn Signal Lights

Anyone else having problems with their front turn signal lights getting corroded and burning out bulbs when it rains or gets wet? I found a cheaper solution than buying the $60 a piece receptacles from a GM dealer. I found a guy on ebay that has wrecked Fbodies and asked him to help me out. He sent me the tail lights harness. The receptacles are the same as the one for the front lights. Most salvage yards don't want to cut the ones off the engine compartment harness, so try to get them to sell you the tail light harness instead. Then all you have to do is cut and splice. I made mine longer so i can go through from underneath the light and have enough to pull it out a good ways to change the bulb.

2002 WS6 Sunset Orange

Brilliant Black
    2006 Ram SRT10

Quote Originally Posted by mrcheeky View Post
    Anyone else having problems with their front turn signal lights getting corroded and burning out bulbs when it rains or gets wet? I found a cheaper solution than buying the $60 a piece receptacles from a GM dealer. I found a guy on ebay that has wrecked Fbodies and asked him to help me out. He sent me the tail lights harness. The receptacles are the same as the one for the front lights. Most salvage yards don't want to cut the ones off the engine compartment harness, so try to get them to sell you the tail light harness instead. Then all you have to do is cut and splice. I made mine longer so i can go through from underneath the light and have enough to pull it out a good ways to change the bulb.

2002 WS6 Sunset Orange

I bought brand new housings from GM and beefed up the oring that goes on the actual bulb when you install it. It makes installation a challenge, but well worth it. I let my recepticles dry out for a few days before I swapped everything out. Didn't blow a bulb for over a year. . .

I bet if you look close your lenses on your housings are cracked, allowing water to come in.

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Mostly Stock

The housings are coming with the next paycheck.

Brilliant Black
    2006 Ram SRT10

Quote Originally Posted by mrcheeky View Post
    The housings are coming with the next paycheck.
    Cool!

That was my experience anyways. Hope that helped ya!

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

whats the part number for the housings?

Brilliant Black
    2006 Ram SRT10

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    whats the part number for the housings?
    Contact Fred Beans Pontiac. I forget exactly.

I think I paid around $40 for the pair back in the day. . .

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yeah...I had the cracked lens problem. I used some clear silicone for the time being. Got some electrical cleaner and bulb grease for the receptacle. Thanks for the info on the ebay items...

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Roz-SRT View Post
    Contact Fred Beans Pontiac. I forget exactly.

I think I paid around $40 for the pair back in the day. . .
    I bought a pair last year for around that $50 but I had to get a new socket and harness because one was so rusted and corroded. I simply cut off the old socket and spliced the wires to the new socket.

White
    2000 Trans AM

Probably not the best thing to do but I placed some lithium grease in all the cracks after replacing the bulb. So unless a direct splash hits it should be fine.
    I dunno time will tell, however the grease is only $5 and any auto store.

2000 Trans Am

how hard is it to replace the actual lense?

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    how hard is it to replace the actual lense?
    Put your car on a set of ramps and unscrew the rubber splash molding that covers the bottom front of your car. There are 2 fold down flaps that you will see but I found it easier to just remove all of the molding for better access. once you remove the bulb and harness there are 2 screws that hold the lens unit. Just unscrew and replace.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

[QUOTE=mrcheeky;696638]Anyone else having problems with their front turn signal lights getting corroded and burning out bulbs when it rains or gets wet? I found a cheaper solution than buying the $60 a piece receptacles from a GM dealer. I found a guy on ebay that has wrecked Fbodies and asked him to help me out. He sent me the tail lights harness. The receptacles are the same as the one for the front lights. Most salvage yards don't want to cut the ones off the engine compartment harness, so try to get them to sell you the tail light harness instead. Then all you have to do is cut and splice. I made mine longer so i can go through from underneath the light and have enough to pull it out a good ways to change the bulb.

Dude i got the same dam problem. Except the drivers side turn signal housing burned out at wont work. I gotta order another one soon cuz the cops are on my ass about not having a left turn signal. Does any1 know where i can get a new housing?

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tony180a View Post
    Put your car on a set of ramps and unscrew the rubber splash molding that covers the bottom front of your car. There are 2 fold down flaps that you will see but I found it easier to just remove all of the molding for better access. once you remove the bulb and harness there are 2 screws that hold the lens unit. Just unscrew and replace.
    thanks for the help!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

My drivers side is all corroded aswell. I have to get outand pull the receptical and wiggle the bulband it started working again. I'm gonna have to replace the receptical andwill probably pull both lens and check for cracks. Good to know i'm not the only one with this problem.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KiD WiCKeD View Post
    My drivers side is all corroded aswell. I have to get outand pull the receptical and wiggle the bulband it started working again. I'm gonna have to replace the receptical andwill probably pull both lens and check for cracks. Good to know i'm not the only one with this problem.
    This is about a 30 minute fix for both lights. When you replace the recepticles just cut the wires as close to the old recepticle as possible and splice the wires to the new recepticle. The wires are color coded so its fool proof. The dealer gave me a tube of silicone and suggested that I apply a generous amount before inserting the bulb into the new recepticle.

Thread Information