Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

2002 WS6 Automatic Trans W / Stall Shifting Problems

When I had my camshaft installed, I also set up a stall with a 2500-3500 range.
    I have a problem when the engine and drivetrain warm up to normal operating temperatures. If you start out in Drive, the trans will very quickly shift right up to the o / d gear setting. It will also upshift to o / d if you are coasting anywhere over 20 mph. I can sift manually from 1st to 2nd, then second to third with no problem. But if I try to leave it in third it will upshift if there is little or no power required from the throttle. If I want to stay in third I can quickly floor the throttle or manually go to drive and then back to third. This is a big pain for around town and slow cruising. On the highway it will lock up and stay there in 4th and perform beautifully. Kick down to lower gears requires a good boot but it responds like there's no tomorrow. No one I've found so far can tell me if this is an electronic programing issue or a converter issue. From what I've been told there are no manual valve bodies for this trans because of the electronic shift for the o / d lock up. Would there be such a product that would give me complete manual control and an electric switch for the lock up ? I live in Northern NJ and would be willing to travel a reasonable distance to get this problem solved. Would this be an application someone like Frost could program in ? As you can tell, I'm old school when it comes to transmissions always having manuals up to now.
    Thank you for any advice or ideas given.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Send a note to steve@tunedbyfrost.com and ask him. You are correct that the transmission is controlled by the computer and if you did not have yours specifically retuned after all of those changes (assuming everything worked fine before) this is definitely where I would start. He may be able to do what you need by mail order tune but you really aren't that far away for a drive-in tune.

Luck!

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Thank you. Yes, I have used him in the past and was very satisfied. I'll send him an email and report back to you all.

Thread Information