2002 Firehawk Question

Both of the below are 2002 firehawks. My question is why does one have the more restrictive lid? Did the lid change occur later in the year 2002 or something? I even ran the vin on the first one and it came back 2002. :/

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

the bottom one appears to be an slp lid with a factory sticker on it. i believe all factory lids came with that extra plasic shit behind em, such as the top lid.....

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    the bottom one appears to be an slp lid with a factory sticker on it. i believe all factory lids came with that extra plasic shit behind em, such as the top lid.....
    Hmmm Because I thought they changed the lid in 02. I remember them saying power jumped from 335 to 345 from changing over to a less restrictive lid. If the baffles were never removed then how was the lid any better?

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Because the inside of it was smoothed out and it didnt have all the crap on the inside of it the stock lid had, or at least thats what ive always been lead to believe. Over all id just check both vins and make sure they were both really firehawks if your looking at making a purchase or something.

pewter
    99 trans am

Are you sure that they didn't sY less restrictive "intake" instead of lid? Cause I'm willin to bet my lunch that bottom lid ain't stock. Pajeff has aftermarket lid with factory decal, so I know this is not far fetched. I'm sure someone else will chime in here.

pewter
    99 trans am

of course there was the slp firehawk which i believe should have came with the slp lid which made it less restrictive...is that what youre referrring to?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It's an slp blackwing lid. Very rare, technically the only oem lid that is 50 state legal that flows like an aftermarket.
    It was not just for the 02's.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    It's an slp blackwing lid. Very rare, technically the only oem lid that is 50 state legal that flows like an aftermarket.
    and there ya go.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

x2 on the blackwing lid!

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Blackwing lids weren't available for the first few months of 2002 Firehawk production so they received the standard factory lids and a promise that they would be provided with the Blackwing lid when they became available.

The car you show without a Blackwing was likely an early car whose owner either never received the Blackwing replacement or sold the Blackwing instead of installing it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

"Helmholz" resonators (the BS crap extending behind the lid) was used to keep folks from complaining about the "sounds" of the air being pulled into the engine...

AFAIC, I can't tell the difference...

Which is why I have smooth lids on both LS1 (with deleted "Helmholz resonators") equipped cars...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

SOM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan93 View Post
    Blackwing lids weren't available for the first few months of 2002 Firehawk production so they received the standard factory lids and a promise that they would be provided with the Blackwing lid when they became available.

The car you show without a Blackwing was likely an early car whose owner either never received the Blackwing replacement or sold the Blackwing instead of installing it.
    This is the truth. I have car #125, ordered new by me, and mine came with the sound baffled lid and not the Donaldson Blackwing. I think the change to the Blackwing occured around car #250ish I was told by SLP??? I was later offered the Blackwing lid as an "add on" but had to pay them an extra $250 to get it, I went with the $99 SLP lid instead. The Blackwing is supposed to perform as well as a K&N from what I read.

Thread Information