Thread: 2000 ws6 help

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Question 2000 ws6 help

I have a 2000 ws6 and i have been looking at some upgrades ...I was wondering how much H/P (rwhp) would I make with Hooker L/t headers , hooker cat-back exhaust, maybe an LS6 intake....H/C swap was to expensive and the car is a D/D ...just want a little more H/p...thanks

flat black
    what you need to do is figure out a goal for you car...and a RPM ranger...if your wanting long tubes that tells me you are planning to turn this motor over 7000 RPM but then you say a H/C package is too expensive...you need to find a balance...here is a quick lesson

Shorties - low RPM range good for under or around 5000 RPM wont make power beyond that

mid lengths, only one co. makes them and thats MAC, great for mid range power and torque good between about 3500- 6500

long tubes are meant for high RPM sure they look great and sound good but they are worthless below 6000 RPM, im sure someone will dispute this cause they made some power on the dyno but hell you got to look at what your comparing it too...yea a long tube is better than our factory crap but if you want to scavenge the exhaust to the best of the cars ability you need to set down and figure what you want...along with that...if you cant get the air out of the engine how are you going to get any more in...so by using a pipe that doesnt scavenge to the best of its ability you are actually not getting the most power for you money.

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    what you need to do is figure out a goal for you car...and a RPM ranger...if your wanting long tubes that tells me you are planning to turn this motor over 7000 RPM but then you say a H/C package is too expensive...you need to find a balance...here is a quick lesson

Shorties - low RPM range good for under or around 5000 RPM wont make power beyond that

mid lengths, only one co. makes them and thats MAC, great for mid range power and torque good between about 3500- 6500

long tubes are meant for high RPM sure they look great and sound good but they are worthless below 6000 RPM, im sure someone will dispute this cause they made some power on the dyno but hell you got to look at what your comparing it too...yea a long tube is better than our factory crap but if you want to scavenge the exhaust to the best of the cars ability you need to set down and figure what you want...along with that...if you cant get the air out of the engine how are you going to get any more in...so by using a pipe that doesnt scavenge to the best of its ability you are actually not getting the most power for you money.
    I wasn't talking about to expensive period, but if I planned on getting the h/c sometime in the future would it be better to go ahead and get l/t now ???

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post

what the fuck are you talking about. while long tubes make better power up top, you do not need to spin the motor to 7k rpm. even with my cam and long tubes, my car only makes power up to 6500rpm.
    with long tubes you will lose some tq down real low, but quikly make it back and then some from mid-high rpm.

with long tubes, catback and a ls6 intake, expect about 45 rwhp bump.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    what the fuck are you talking about. while long tubes make better power up top, you do not need to spin the motor to 7k rpm. even with my cam and long tubes, my car only makes power up to 6500rpm.
    with long tubes you will lose some tq down real low, but quikly make it back and then some from mid-high rpm.

with long tubes, catback and a ls6 intake, expect about 45 rwhp bump.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

So say your not looking to swith out the the intake from a stock ls1 and or the cam, would the mid length be better? All I have done is a new air box and bellow on my 2000 ws6. I was looking into LT w/ ORY but after reading your comment, are they right for what I want? I don't want an "rpm rnager", it already has a borla exhaust and was wanting to switch out the stock crap in front of it. Shorties don't seem worth the time or money if your switching them out from stock, what do you think?

black

Quote Originally Posted by cocheesews6 View Post
    So say your not looking to swith out the the intake from a stock ls1 and or the cam, would the mid length be better? All I have done is a new air box and bellow on my 2000 ws6. I was looking into LT w/ ORY but after reading your comment, are they right for what I want? I don't want an "rpm rnager", it already has a borla exhaust and was wanting to switch out the stock crap in front of it. Shorties don't seem worth the time or money if your switching them out from stock, what do you think?
    even if you never cam youre car, long tubes are fine, many people on this site have them and dont have a cam.
    pacesetter long tubes and y pipe will cost you less than Macs and perform better than Macs.
    you Will not lose power. long tubes alone will give you 25-30 rwhp.

also if youre car is an automatic, do a stall converter before anything else, a stall is the #1 mod to be done to an automatic trans car.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Once a again I have to agree with NHRA

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Yeah, I've seen some good prices on ebay for Pacesetter headers & ORY, seems to be the favorite on this site, I have one on my old Nissan 720 z24i and man did that really open up some extra power.
    I have a 6 speed on my 2000 ws6, is ceramic coating better for heat resistance?

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

Help!!!!!!!

I NEED YOUR HELP. I'M THINKING OF ADDING THOSE ELECTRIC CUTOUTS. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE AN AWSOME PRODUCT THAT SOUND REALLY MEAN... BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THERE'S OTHERS THAT SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND THAT THEY MESS UP MY CAR'S COMPUTER. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS??? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND! I NEED YOUR HELP. I'M THINKING OF ADDING THOSE ELECTRIC CUTOUTS. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE AN AWSOME PRODUCT THAT SOUND REALLY MEAN... BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THERE'S OTHERS THAT SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND THAT THEY MESS UP MY CAR'S COMPUTER. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS??? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

Got another question, on my exhaust, I have 2 outs going to my exhaust tips, then I have another open hole, guy told me its called a "dump", is this a cut-out???

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by cocheesews6 View Post
    Got another question, on my exhaust, I have 2 outs going to my exhaust tips, then I have another open hole, guy told me its called a "dump", is this a cut-out???
    Sounds like it may be. where is this "dump" located at. if its up more towards the headers then I would say so. go to the track and uncap that sucker.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKIN WS6 View Post
    I NEED YOUR HELP. I'M THINKING OF ADDING THOSE ELECTRIC CUTOUTS. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE AN AWSOME PRODUCT THAT SOUND REALLY MEAN... BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THERE'S OTHERS THAT SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND THAT THEY MESS UP MY CAR'S COMPUTER. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS??? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND! I NEED YOUR HELP. I'M THINKING OF ADDING THOSE ELECTRIC CUTOUTS. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE AN AWSOME PRODUCT THAT SOUND REALLY MEAN... BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THERE'S OTHERS THAT SAY IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP AND THAT THEY MESS UP MY CAR'S COMPUTER. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY FEEDBACK ON THIS??? I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND!
    I have never heard of cut-outs hurting your computer, most guys use them when they want to other wise leave their exhaust stock for either emissions testing or sleeper sound. Then they will open them up while at the track.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    I have never heard of cut-outs hurting your computer, most guys use them when they want to other wise leave their exhaust stock for either emissions testing or sleeper sound. Then they will open them up while at the track.

it is possible that a cut out will set off a code, no big deal though

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

news to me...thanks for the input.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Formula WS6

No, its an extra exhaust outlet off the muffler, when its cold in the mornig and I rev it, it makes a popping noise, pretty fun, yeah it is uncapped

Thread Information