Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2000 or 2001 Trans Am, which should I buy?

This is a discussion on 2000 or 2001 Trans Am, which should I buy? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by RyanJM WS6 and all is ok but if you find a real Firehawk for a.good deal that ...

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    WS6 and all is ok but if you find a real Firehawk for a.good deal that is far more.rare of a find.
    i agree id rather have a firehawk

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

The longer you wait into winter the better deals you are going to get.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    lol what last time I checked the specs on the different cams they were only slightly different between the years and what do you mean a small truck cam is their a medium and big truck cam also lol?
    only going off what someone told me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    agreed but prices on both of those cars seem pretty high. you could have a decent mileage WS6 at those prices
    lol that is cheap over here, especially with that mileage.

op, go with the 01

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    buy the 2001. the reason being is that they put a small truck cam in that year. its whats in my 2001 ss and id fly past all the other ss.

5.3 and 5.7 vortec cams are smaller than the stock ls1 cams. 01-02 cams are just a teeny bit smaller than 98-00 cams. any ls1 cam is an upgrade for all 5.3(current trucks) and 5.7(older trucks) vortecs equipped vehicles(trucks). it is also an upgrade to ls4 equipped vehicles(w bodies). i dont remember a higher option gas motor for the trucks that were available when our cars were in production. if it is a newer cam, swapped in the past year or so from the 6.2 vortec then that might be a nice little bump in power as far as the hp numbers go.

after double checking it seems the 01 and 02 had the same cams as the vortec which still was smaller than the 98-00 cams, but produced more tq but less hp(the numbers were minimal at best). so the stock 98-00 cams were the biggest(not a huge size difference). they got smaller after 00 with upgrades in different portions of the engine to keep the hp similar for marketing purposes so gm could advertise similar power. vette cams were different. i havent seen any specs on them but some ended up in a few 98's due to shortage of f-body cams.
    Last edited by 00z28bubba; 12-05-2010 at 03:33 AM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    there a ton's of T/As out there that are not WS6s with the Ram Air Hood and spoiler
    There is no difference between a Trans Am spoiler and a WS6 spoiler. The only difference is the hood and emblems visually.

OP Look at the RPO codes on the door. It will have the WS6 RPO code if it is a WS6. Easiest way to tell if the door code is ripped off, I know some guys on here can look up the VIN # I cant remember who, you can do a search.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 12-05-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    lol what last time I checked the specs on the different cams they were only slightly different between the years and what do you mean a small truck cam is their a medium and big truck cam also lol?
    here ya go that's for the smart remark, Buddy!!!!

NEW OR CHANGED FOR 2001 MODEL YEAR

Camshaft from LQ4 6.0-liter V8 (Vortec 6000) Truck Engine
    Eliminate Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
    Increased Volume Fuel Injectors
    Increased Flow Air Cleaner with Larger Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF)
    Pup Catalytic Converters
    Cast Exhaust Manifolds with New Gasket
    Reduced Tolerance Main Bearings
    Revised Oil Level Tube and Indicator
    Extended Maximum Oil Change Interval
    Two-point Water Pump Vapor Vent
    Sleeveless Coolant Sensor
    Revised Powertrain Control Module Calibrations
    Revised Rocker Cover Castings

CUSTOMER BENEFITS
    LQ4 CAMSHAFT
    Powertrain engineers found an elegant, cost-effective answer when the platform team asked for a five-horsepower increase in the 2001 LS1: They borrowed a billet-steel camshaft from the LQ4 Vortec 6000 truck engine. The new cam has more advance and different timing, delivering more torque lower in the rev range. Coupled with an improved air cleaner developed for the LS6 V8, the new cam increase horsepower by five in the Firebird

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Get the seller down on the price and go for the 01'. All the info above should be reason enough, also the 01' already has the Ram Air hood. I love my car but IMO nothing looks better than a black TA with a Ram Air hood.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

1998 - 2000 Fbody
    202/210 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.496" / 0.496" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

2001 - 2002 Fbody

197/207 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

On paper, the 98-00 cam looks a lot better.

Mystic Teal
    1999 Trans am

SOLUTION: Don't buy either, I know a guy around here who's selling a Trans Am with only 66,000 (slightly higher) miles for around $6,000, never been wrecked. For what you're willing to pay I will buy it, drive it over to wherever you live and let it go for $8,000 which is still cheaper than you're paying for either of these. Not sure if you bought it yet, but if you've got your heart set on one of those two, I would go with the 2001 just b/c it makes more power and is slightly newer. Like everyone else was saying though, to me those both seem like a rip off. Anyway it's your money and you're gonna do what you want with it, but for that price range, I would be looking at a C5 vette or another STI. Try craigslist, autotrader and ebay in your area and I'm willing to bet you could find a better deal on a lower mileage vehicle.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SP33Daddict View Post
    SOLUTION: Don't buy either, I know a guy around here who's selling a Trans Am with only 66,000 (slightly higher) miles for around $6,000, never been wrecked. For what you're willing to pay I will buy it, drive it over to wherever you live and let it go for $8,000 which is still cheaper than you're paying for either of these. Not sure if you bought it yet, but if you've got your heart set on one of those two, I would go with the 2001 just b/c it makes more power and is slightly newer. Like everyone else was saying though, to me those both seem like a rip off. Anyway it's your money and you're gonna do what you want with it, but for that price range, I would be looking at a C5 vette or another STI. Try craigslist, autotrader and ebay in your area and I'm willing to bet you could find a better deal on a lower mileage vehicle.
    This. Those prices, without coming down several thousand, are too high. You just need to travel.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    here ya go that's for the smart remark, Buddy!!!!

NEW OR CHANGED FOR 2001 MODEL YEAR

Camshaft from LQ4 6.0-liter V8 (Vortec 6000) Truck Engine
    Eliminate Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
    Increased Volume Fuel Injectors
    Increased Flow Air Cleaner with Larger Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF)
    Pup Catalytic Converters
    Cast Exhaust Manifolds with New Gasket
    Reduced Tolerance Main Bearings
    Revised Oil Level Tube and Indicator
    Extended Maximum Oil Change Interval
    Two-point Water Pump Vapor Vent
    Sleeveless Coolant Sensor
    Revised Powertrain Control Module Calibrations
    Revised Rocker Cover Castings

CUSTOMER BENEFITS
    LQ4 CAMSHAFT
    Powertrain engineers found an elegant, cost-effective answer when the platform team asked for a five-horsepower increase in the 2001 LS1: They borrowed a billet-steel camshaft from the LQ4 Vortec 6000 truck engine. The new cam has more advance and different timing, delivering more torque lower in the rev range. Coupled with an improved air cleaner developed for the LS6 V8, the new cam increase horsepower by five in the Firebird

It is actually a smaller cam than the 98-00, if you actually check the link that I have supplied it shows and proves that to you. But I am not going to argue over this no point really, cause my last comment wasnt ment to be in an asshole way lol I was just messing with you.

Ray Charles blue

On E-bay there is a 1998 WS6, 2 owner, 6-speed, black on black, 36k miles for 10k. The guy has owned it since 2000 and he needs cash fast to purchase a 1st gen Firebird.

Lots of decent F-bodies out there a lot cheaper than what you are looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    1998 - 2000 Fbody
    202/210 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.496" / 0.496" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

2001 - 2002 Fbody

197/207 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

On paper, the 98-00 cam looks a lot better.
    I'm betting that's why the LS6 intake works so well on the 98-00 F-bodies. Better intake with somewhat bigger cam=more power easier.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

01-02s have a smaller cam. Anyways aside from the prices being too high I'd simply choose which ever looks better. ie-no cracked door panels, no bubbling sail panel, no dings in quarter panels, etc.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^good advice there.

White
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

thanks guys again for all the info, very helpfull.. Unfortunatley the 2001 was sold so I'm still looking. The 2000 TA is still available but now a Firehawk entered the show. There is a black 2002 Firhawk, with 40K miles, auto. Im in the negotiation process and was wondering if anything higher than $14K was too much? Im offering in the low $14Ks but if doesnt work out, Im gonna try for the 2000 (which they dropped a grand off the price). I was considering $10K out the door. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted and maybe the Firehawk deal works out!!!

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

Way overpriced IMO

Black
    2001 Trans-Am

To the OP, I see you're located in Modesto. That TA you were looking at wouldn't happen to have been in Lodi would it? Only one previous owner, very clean, very fast, smooth running sweet machine, that TA?

I got him to 13k. Worth every penny. And yes, doorcodes, rims, and hood(since its an actual ram air pckg) say she's a real WS6.

Never looked at this site until I bought my car, kind of odd seeing someone talking about buying it. My looking is over, good luck with yours though.
    Last edited by Wheredhego; 01-16-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by MyNightmare2002TA View Post
    thanks guys again for all the info, very helpfull.. Unfortunatley the 2001 was sold so I'm still looking. The 2000 TA is still available but now a Firehawk entered the show. There is a black 2002 Firhawk, with 40K miles, auto. Im in the negotiation process and was wondering if anything higher than $14K was too much? Im offering in the low $14Ks but if doesnt work out, Im gonna try for the 2000 (which they dropped a grand off the price). I was considering $10K out the door. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted and maybe the Firehawk deal works out!!!
    Offer 12K for the Hawk and see what they say, that's a fair offer

White
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

@ Wheredhego It was you!! lol j/k, yes that was the one. I looked at the price and was discouraged. I want a black TA so I was gonna trade in my 2002 TA but was showing the 'service engine' light so had to get that fixed but was too late. Congrats on ur purchase, I know when I turn on my car, I get the same smile I did when from when I first bought it. It took me 6 months to get my first TA back in '05, Im looking at some firehawk or the 6 speed in the Bay Area. Now was that 13K out the door? Just want to know how much a dealer would reduce their price.
    Last edited by MyNightmare2002TA; 01-16-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: add text

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information