Thread: 2 ?'s

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Question 2 ?'s

1st question: I have a 01 t/am and I was told it didn't have traction control. Well y is it that when i went to take off it wanted to lay down and go to sleep? Everytime i punch it in first gear it boggs down. I checked the fuse box and there isn't a fuse in right now for it, any ideas? There is no button or switch or anything on the inside of my car!

2nd question: I was downshifting today and my tranny locked up and wouldn't release or allow me to shift. I finally got it out, but how does this happen or y? I'm lost!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Your sinchro's are out

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

explain plz

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by chieftransam View Post
    1st question: I have a 01 t/am and I was told it didn't have traction control. Well y is it that when i went to take off it wanted to lay down and go to sleep? Everytime i punch it in first gear it boggs down. I checked the fuse box and there isn't a fuse in right now for it, any ideas? There is no button or switch or anything on the inside of my car!

2nd question: I was downshifting today and my tranny locked up and wouldn't release or allow me to shift. I finally got it out, but how does this happen or y? I'm lost!
    1) If you have an ASR (or TCS, can't remember) switch on the dash below the A/C controls (above the shifter), you have traction control. If you don't have that switch, you have some other problem w/ your engine tune.

2) Not sure what you mean by "tranny locked up", are you referring to the shifter? A4 or M6?? I had an auto shifter on a '92 LeBaron "lock up" when I pulled it back into 1st. I bent the end of the cable and it wouldn't go back into it's case and stayed stuck in 1st gear. Need more info.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well I am going tomorrow to have it tuned by a diablo sport tuner~! well what i mean by it locking up is that i was downshifting and when i got into fourth it didn't want to release when i was going for third! (my shifter/ i have a slp shifter/M6)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

maybe your slave cylinder, but i thought he 01's had the better slave's? Might be the clutch not disengaging all the way to allow the synch's to line up.

how many miles are on the car? you might be do for a flush/fill on the transmission-maybe the master cylinder too?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I have talked to a few different people and they keep saying that it might be my linkage?. It has 48,XXX miles on it. I don't know what it could be.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I have replaced everything in my transmission besides the flippin tranny itself and Am still havin the same prob u are man, wont go Into fourth though. Ive always had problems with the M6. Had a 97 Z28 30th anniv edition with the 4L60e A4 though, and drove it to 130000 miles with no problems. Tired of dealing with the 6 speed.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    maybe your slave cylinder, but i thought he 01's had the better slave's?
    yea they do

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I'm going today to have them check and see if its the schronizer thats messed up. I don't know what else to check. i just know that its messed up!

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Well I am going tomorrow to have it tuned by a diablo sport tuner~! well what i mean by it locking up is that i was downshifting and when i got into fourth it didn't want to release when i was going for third! (my shifter/ i have a slp shifter/M6)
    Sounds like the clutch didn't dis-engage enough to take the pressure off the dog-clutch (or whatever it's called these days) and allow it to come out of 4th. Bad syncros will keep it from going *into* gear, but won't (can't) keep it from coming *out* of gear. Check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder. If that's OK, then you might be having other clutch problems. Also make sure your clutch foot can press the pedal all the way to the floor (some people w/ short legs and sit too far back have this problem). Was this an isolated incident or does it happen often and/or in other gears?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

well i took it to a couple different transmission shops and they all say its the syncros that are bad! so thats going to suck! yeah i can push the clutch all the way to the floor. one technician did say that the clutch was hard to press or that it was stiff.

Red
    '02 WS6

chief, did you ever work this problem out?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

my old z had a lot of probs with the 6 speed....syncros in 3rd 4th and 5th all starting around 30k miles....terrible.......i got a good one this time ..shifts very smooth every time..think the man trannys are hit or miss on these cars

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Well Jims455, I took it to the shop and they told me that third through fifth was jacked up completely. so they went in and replaced everything inside. and now my pilot bearing is going out and i had it put in the shop to have it fixed and i got it back today and it still makes the same noise as before. i can only hear it in fifth gear! it's so aggravating dealing with this stuff! i had to have my stage 2 clutch and pressure plate and flywheel replaced with stock stuff because money is tight right now, cause according to them it was best to go ahead and have it replaced. i have to make a 2000 mile trip and i can't wait for them to try and fix it again, so i guess i will take it back to the shop when i return. any ideas or suggestions. i'm getting tired of this tranny! T56, 6m, 49000.

CETA Yellow
    2002 WS6 CETA

learn how to drive, and take care of your car!

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

mr. wise guy huh?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

mr. wise guy huh?
    pay him no attention. i hope you get your shit figured out.

Thread Information